488 Misfires under acceleration over small bumps / rough roads | FerrariChat

488 Misfires under acceleration over small bumps / rough roads

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Bojote, Nov 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bojote

Bojote Rookie

Apr 22, 2018
    Doral, FL
    Full Name:
    Jesus A
    I've had my car for over 3 months, got it brand new and I've noticed since the first day I drove it a particular behavior when driving over small bumps or rough roads.

When driving at highway speeds on a clear and dry day I notice the cars jolts a bit and looses power for fractions of a second when going over the highway concrete slabs where the pieces connect (Feeling is very similar to going over a patch of standing water on the highway). At first, I didn't pay too much attention to it, I kept experiencing this over rough or bumpy roads, specially under hard acceleration, but in my mind this was simply the traction control cutting power.

Today, under hard acceleration over a bumpy road I felt the car loosing power and the check engine light turned on so I started doing some tests to try and troubleshoot the problem.

I'm not 100% sure if this is my car only or all 488's experience this, but if you try to accelerate hard over irregular bumpy roads the engine will misfire and the check engine light will turn on. I've already disabled Traction (and stability control) completely, to rule them out, but still experience the problem.

The code I get every time this happens is "P338F". I was able to clear the code, but I can easily reproduce it, at least in my car.

Is this a known problem? sounds like an electrical issue. A problem with a ground connection of sorts. But on a brand new car? anyone experiencing something like this or know of someone who does?

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I have a 2018 488 and never experienced the condition you described. Sounds like a service/warranty issue.

3. Macki

Macki Rookie

Oct 3, 2017
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Simon
    i have a 18 GTB as well and i regulary give it the full beans on bad country side roads. Nothing, never had any problems like that whatsoever.
    i would just bring it to the dealer, let them clear the code and then show the serviceman how you can reproduce it.

4. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I have a 17 Spider, agree with the above.

5. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    18GTB here. Never experienced that and sometimes I drive on the ****ty streets in Chicago so I am confident it would of occurred if it was a common issue.

Take it to the dealer. Something intermittent electrical is happening.

6. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    Looks like abs or TC sensor error...

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I found: ETS warning lamp short circuit to earth

So… don't make it your problem, give the problem to your seller ! :)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I can confirm this is not normal 488 GTB behavior. These are very complex machines. Best to bring it to the experts.

of2worlds and Melvok like this.
  9. lamborarijason

lamborarijason Karting

Sep 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    It is not normal, best to take it to dealer and have it checked. I had same issue but much worse, car misfire badly and engine control fault light came on. Took it to Ferrari dealer and it turned out the entire fuel rail on one bank had to be replaced. Other than that never had a single issue, car is lighting fast and easy to drive.

of2worlds and Viperjoe like this.
  10. Bojote

Bojote Rookie

Apr 22, 2018
    Doral, FL
    Full Name:
    Jesus A
    Also a 488? in your case did you had the problem all the time or like me only under acceleration over rough/irregular bumpy roads? do you remember what what the fault code. was it also P338F?

I'm clearly taking it to the dealer, but I'm documenting everything on my own first so I can explain the problem as best as I can to the serviceman, including riding with someone from the dealer so I can show them how to replicate the problem. Car is only 700 miles!

I've been searching online for the code and seems to be an electrical issue of sorts, most likely a wiring problem with ground either with the ECU or some other component. I've filmed the dashboard when the loss of power occurs and there is no evident loss of brightness in the instrument cluster so whatever the problem is it only affects the engine management computer and not all the electrical systems in the car.

The reason i'm documenting everything is because this is the kind of problem that turns into a nightmare. I'll keep updating this post regularly in case someone ever runs into the same situation with a 488

of2worlds likes this.
  11. lamborarijason

lamborarijason Karting

Sep 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Yes, also 488. In my case it was under a hard acceleration then code came on car started to misfire badly even at idle. Called dealer and they suggested sending a flatbed via Ferrari roadside assistance next day to bring it into dealer and they took care of rest. I daily drive my 488, it was at around 8500miles when this happened. It is not a big deal, same thing happened to my 17 NSX when it was brand new.

In your case best to bring the car in and have dealer locate the issue. Are you on stock wheel and tires set up or plus size? The car is very sensitive to change of OD on tires.

12. Bojote

Bojote Rookie

Apr 22, 2018
    Doral, FL
    Full Name:
    Jesus A
    UPDATE: Issue was solved. It was an electrical problem caused by hard-wiring a dashcam via fuse tap to a 'fuse' that (according to the manual) was not 'assigned' to anything, but clearly (if you see the attached diagram) was between fuses assigned to the 'injection' system.

Completely my fault for suggesting that particular fuse to the installer as I believed nothing was going to be affected as the manual shows nothing there

Image Unavailable, Please Login

350MH83 likes this.