First post, and found plug DISCONNECTED! in engine bay ... | FerrariChat

First post, and found plug DISCONNECTED! in engine bay ...

Discussion in '360/430' started by BigBo$$, Sep 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigBo$$

BigBo$$ Rookie

Aug 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gotti
    Hi guys new to Fchat, my first post . My cars a 360 Spider Rosso Corsa , it is having a bad case of misfires , put it on a scantool it comes up Motronic left side errors, and misfires on both left and right cylinders, however most misfire codes relate to the one bank cylinders , im assuming the left side.

Previous history of this car , I overfilled with oil as i didnt realise "dry sump" and thought it was low on oil and the oil was to be checked with engine odd so got a false reading. I probably overfilled about a litre of oil if not a little more, I pumped out as much as possible but only after I had started the car and ran it for about 30 mins!!!!!

So upon reading some posts on this site I found this can contaminate into the plenum chambers and create all sorts of other issues , I dont know if this is the only issue as it was the first time i had started the car when i got it, and being bought from an auction it had sat for about 2 months there with a flat battery, so i also didnt know that there is a relearn procedure for the car to relearn the parameters , so i just immediately assumed that the car had serious issues from the car in "relearn mode splattering backfiring". First thing i did was basic checks, fluids , coolants, oils, and thats when i put the oil in, and then realised i had made a huge mistake with the oil overfill and checking it with motor off and COLD! I have cleaned out as much oil as possible out of the throttle bodies and cleaned the MAFs with MAF cleaner. Im assuming the misfires are from the oil now on the plugs (gunked up) or just previously stuck injectors, or coils, either way i will be stripping down one by one and testing the MAFs to see if maybe one of them is throwing all these codes , then swapping the ECU from left to right see if codes register to other bank, then i will be getting into the plugs, coils, and injectors performing all the tests other people have posted on this site with my results and photos. Terrific site with lots of useful information of knowledgable people I must say.

* oh and upon inspecting the engine bay yesterday I came across a connector that looks disconnected , which may be causing part if not all the symptoms i have mentioned above. Or I may be completely wrong and it is nothing and just for diagnostics purposes. If anyone knows what it is , where it goes....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

it goes to a harness that comes from RH , inside the black panel. u probably can find it without open the panel. but opening it will be must easier

if you open the panel and take some detailed pictures from various angles, i can tell u which one

the thing in ur picture is a plug from the transmission revolution sensor (not sure what it is called), it should be secured on a metal clip that was sitting on the gearbox, near the oil pressure sensor

BigBo$$ likes this.
  3. BigBo$$

BigBo$$ Rookie

Aug 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gotti

Thanks for your reply, FunnyI got no transmission errors on scans, and no dash errors. The plug is very short if 5cm long from what i can grab and pull of it without forcing it. Im assuming its the other side it connects into that is a cable longer that it connects to ? (under the black inner panel your referring to?) I just cant see it reaching all that way over when it is so short, I also cant see a cable from the other side of the side panel being that long enough to reach to this conector. I will however tomorrow if weather permits take off the side panel and look for it, and take pics.

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
  5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    That connector could also be connector for the exhaust control valves vacuum controller. Do you have after market exhaust?

Also, if your battery has gone flat and wont take a full charge or its at least 3 years old I recommend replacing it as most of the lose gremlins on these cars are triggered by undervoltage supply of the battery.

BigBo$$ likes this.
  6. BigBo$$

BigBo$$ Rookie

Aug 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gotti
    WOW ! quick find how hahaha, and thank you!

No aftermarket exhaust fitted yet, but will be putting one on i have , would this need to be incorporated?

Batterys charged and seems to look new I just recently got the car dont know much about it to be honest. But it starts fine and no symptoms of low batter such as lights dull, or slow starter , or low lights on dash. I have heard they are very sensitive to low voltage, but I did fully charge the battery overnight on a full charge rate, so I think is off the list. Thanks for your help

7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

if it is coming from the engine/gearbox side, its not the famous unused plug. it is the gearbox sensor

OP u can trace that connector, if it goes to the gearbox backend, then it is what i wrote.

BigBo$$ likes this.
  8. BigBo$$

BigBo$$ Rookie

Aug 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gotti
    Im so confused another post says its nothing its the exact plug , or isnt it ? this one doesnt reach that down to the gearbox, it is near the first injector to the right side of the engine standing at the back of the car. hope this helps?

9. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

u need to trace it, see which major harness it comes from. if it is the unused plug, it should be coming from under RH black panel.

BigBo$$ likes this.
  10. Bwtyler85

Bwtyler85 Karting

Oct 25, 2015
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Ben Tyler
    I too discovered this same plug just hanging around not doing a great deal. Couldn't see a friend for it. Comes from the main harness under the left side maf sensor across under the right maf and that's it.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk