Almost lost left rear wheel on my 488 spider | FerrariChat

Almost lost left rear wheel on my 488 spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Kregu, Sep 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    Hi to all.
    Yesterday I almost lost my left rear wheel while driving on a normal road at quite low speed. Bust just before I was speeding a lil bit more and took some hard turn and brakes ...
    I remember that I read a threat about the same case here on the board but impossible for me the find that threat again. Does somebody have the link?
    The breakdown mechanic that came to pick my car up (send via ferrari assistance) told me that it is not the first 488 with that problem that he had to tow and that it is always the left rear wheel where the screws became loose.
    All the 5 screws of mine could be pulled out by hand! Another km more and the wheel would have gone. I just cannot think about what would have happened when this had happened on the German Autobahn at >300km/h!
    My Ferrari dealer said today that he never ever heard about this issue...
    Does anybody here on the board had the same problem?
    Best regards

of2worlds and up4speed like this.
  2. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    WOW that would be a BIG problem if it happened other times. Could cost your life

3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    This is definitely why we check the torque on the wheels at the track but it doesn't seem like it should be needed around town. In any case, maybe your spirited driving was enough to loosen it up.

Jamie traina likes this.
  4. bleifuß-heinz

Oct 13, 2015
    Hello,

I am from Germany and I have had the same problem one year ago. After joining the Nürburgring Grand-Prix Course.

Fortunately it didnˋt happen on the Track, it happened on the way to the Gas Station.It was also the real left wheel and also I pulled 4 of 5 screws by hand. My Ferrari Dealer said this can be happen when driving on a race track and behind closed Doors they said that they knew this problem.

It was unbelievable! There was no excuse or a letter of regret from Ferrari. Nothing! They swapped half of the left axle and I have got the car back after 8 weeks waiting on the spare parts from Italy.

Greetings from Germany

Heinz

5. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    Hello Heinz.
    This is unbelievable!!
    Did Ferrari pay the replacement of the axle or were all the costs paid by you? Normally there is warranty for this issue isn't it?
    What was the total cost of this repairs?
    How do you feel today when you drive your 488 at top speed???
    Thanx for reply;-)

6. bleifuß-heinz

Oct 13, 2015
    Hello,

they made no discussion. All things are covered by warranty.
    I do not worry at high speed, but after this incident I check the screws regularly before driving with high speed.

Best regards

Heinz

458-Italia and of2worlds like this.
  7. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    Hello Heinz.
    Thank you very much for that quick reply. I will see what they will decide in my case. I will keep you informed:)
    Best regards!

of2worlds likes this.
  8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    This seems bizarre to me. Was somebody or a machine not torquing the lugs properly on the assembly line?

9. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    This could be a reason for this issue:(

G. Pepper likes this.
  10. Matt_337

Matt_337 Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I've seen this before. I was at circuit of the americas and a guy showed up with his new 488. He didn't bother to check his lugs. He came off the track complaining about a noise. A mechanic from another garage came over and it turned out all of his lugs could be taken off by hand.

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    very few things make me OMG but OMG!

of2worlds and G. Pepper like this.
  12. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    I can't speak to which wheel it was, did not ask, but was at COTA last year and a 488 lost a wheel during a slow speed turn. No injuries, and my understanding is the car had no significant damage, but that same car had completed many laps at normal speeds just prior to the incident. Driver was very lucky.

Jim

13. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    I have read on this forum that the recommended torque for Ferrari wheels is 75 ft lbs which seems pretty low to me. Most cars are in the 80-95 Ft-lb range and I have even seen one car recently that called for 105 ft-lbs. Just speculating though...

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This is checked in dealer prep. My guess is it was a dealer issue, not a factory issue.

As a rule, a shop should have a second mechanic check the torque settings the car's lug nuts before it's released in case the first guy forgot. People are human so a second check removes the risk, no matter how small

of2worlds and G. Pepper like this.
  15. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I have no choice but to rely on my mechanic for many things. The cost/benefit ratio is too low for me to double check everything they do.

However, I highly recommended spending a few dollars on a torque wrench and learning to use it properly if you push your car. It is up there with checking the tires and tire pressures. It is very little effort for a lot of piece of mind.

(Found a nail in a tire yesterday when checking wear. New tires went on today. Looking forward to trying the Pilot Sport 4s out!)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds likes this.
  16. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    Thanx a lot for all those replies;)

17. Sonoma

Sonoma Rookie

May 7, 2017
    Wine Country
  18. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Logic would not support that the factory lug tightening tool was at fault unless there is one single machine dedicated to the left rear wheel. Other wheels would also have to be coming loose or falling off if the same machine tightens more than just the one wheel location. The other threads placed cause on the action of the differential under power and recommended multiple re-torqueing. FWIW I've never had a wheel come loose after proper torqueing on any car I've owned but I don't track cars.

20. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
  21. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    There seems to have been enough of these incidents for Ferrari to issue a TSB. I'm surprised the NHTSB hasn't gotten involved as this is definitely a public safety issue.

22. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    #22 Kregu, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    I was at my dealership today and they got the following answer from FERRARI: we have never heard about such an issue before!

My dealer said to me that maybe all the others that had this problem did not report it to the factory....

So what can I do?

yronZFF likes this.
  23. BlueCorsa

BlueCorsa Rookie

Jan 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Blue Corsa
    Happened to me at cota with all 4 wheel lugs loosened significantly after ~15 laps, with right rear (most load bearing) the loosest. They need tightening after every session, not just an inspection.

SAFE4NOW and of2worlds like this.
  24. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    Planning on going out to the track today, I torqued my wheels last night to 75#, which as noted above seems low, but that is the number in the manual. Just checked the torque again and nothing loosened from the activity today.

25. Kregu

Kregu Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    Europe
    OMG!
    They should write this in the manual:mad:

of2worlds likes this.