A Rare 328 GTB TURBO | Page 2 | FerrariChat

A Rare 328 GTB TURBO

Discussion in '308/328' started by miketuason, Aug 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #26 Albert-LP, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    It looks the "turbo knowledge" is spreading around the world: I'm very glad of that. Yes, all the figures and info written here about cars production and engine features are correct. All LHD cars. The car Miketuason posted is the second and last version of 208 turbo, called GTB/GTS turbo. here in Italy is well known as "208 turbo intercooler" as the first 1982 model (shown here below) hadn't. Abroad it's called "328 turbo" as it's a 328 with a 2 liters turbocharged engine.
    The well known engineer Nicola Materazzi was taken by Ferrari from Lancia as a turbocharger and engine expert: he was (one of them that) had developed the Lancia Stratos Turbo Gr. 5 Silhouette when he was at Lancia. He worked at Ferrari racing department where he was Mauro Forghieri backup for the Formula 1 turbo engine. Moved from racing department to GT cars department to develop the 288 GTO, he later developed the "328 turbo" engine (and the F40, plus the Lancia LC2 engine).
    Nobody knows that he also developed a two liter twin turbocharged engine for the 348, that remained just a prototype.

All the story (and more) in this book here below, just sent to the editor for publishing. It's in Italian (at present), but will be available Worldwide: in the book Materazzi himself and many others tell the story of the four turbocharged Ferrari of the eighties.

208 turbo (1982), 288 GTO (1984), GTB/GTS turbo (1986), F40 (1987).

This below is the Italian cover

ciao

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jeka, Ligu, Rosey and 3 others like this.
  2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ok now I get it, it’s a 2.0 v8 Turbo in a 328 Body, I thought it was 3,2 Turbo in a 328 body, thanks for all the good information Alberto, as you know this is the first time I saw one of this as this is very rare here in the US.

3. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Mike,

It’s a GTB Turbo in a GTB turbo body....

Yes it is basically a 2ltr 328 using a 2v engine for domestic (Italian) tax break purposes.

It was an upgrade to the 208 turbo, a 2v turbo 2ltr - so 308 equivalent - again a tax break car to beat Italian punitive sales tax laws.

The main difference on the upgrade was bodywork in-line with the 308-328 transition and the addition of intercooling.

The GTS Turbo obviously followed the 328 in having a removable roof panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes Mike.
    To be more specific: its 2.0 litre V8 Turbo with intercooler produces 254 hp, vs 270 hp for the 3,2 litre normally aspired of the standard Euro 328.
    Performances of the "Turbo (Intercooler)" and the standard Euro 328 are "comparable", although there are some differences along the range of speeds.
    Rgds

furmano and miketuason like this.
  5. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Yes, they were born for Italian tax system, exactly what happens today for the GTC4 Lusso (even if now is no more the Italian tax system they are interested into) with the two different capacities engines.

But this doesn't erase the fact they are the first Ferrari turbocharged street car ever

ciao

furmano likes this.
  6. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Materazzi in the book tells why the GTB/GTS turbo hadn't the same power as the 328, despite it could develop much more power.

The early 208 turbo had more power (220 Hp) than the contemporary two valve engine installed on the 308i (214 Hp)

ciao

ARMBARBI48 likes this.
  7. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Absolutely, imagine the 2ltr out performing the new 328!

TI think many have written about they had a problem with balancing Porsche 911 and 911 turbo performance challenges - (not sure E-F accepted Lotus as a real competitor with espirits) - against a US market that had basically saved Ferrari in the 70s.

A 328 with twin turbos, all though different, are into 288 space... so the 308/328 only received a few main dealer approved local market turbo conversions along with custom/owner ones. The engine requirements (compression etc),space and turbo technology (despite F F1) were not that great to make an easy turbo option. And F hung on to normally aspirated for a v long time with the exception of the 288/F40 etc. It was a key USP and part of the engine/driving piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Fellas! You guys sure know your 308/328 GTS/GTB Intercooled Turbo!
    Considered myself educated.

Albert-LP likes this.
  9. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Interesting, thanks for the info.

-F

10. Ligu

Ligu Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2009
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Michele
    This is my GTS turbo s/n 77751.
    As you can see, when you look at it from the side, the only differences from the 328 are the NACA duct and the position of the Pininfarina badge.
    For those who are interested, I started a thread about the 2 liters Ferraris of the 70s and 80s in the Showroom section.
    Don't know how to embed the link, I'm sorry, but if you use the "search" function you shouldn't have problems in finding it.
    IIRC, the name is "208: the only-Italian models". You'll find a lot of pics and useful information.
    Ciao! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my RNE-L01 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ARMBARBI48, Albert-LP and miketuason like this.
  11. ARMBARBI48

ARMBARBI48 Karting

Jan 29, 2013
    Modena Italy
    Full Name:
    Armido Barbieri
    [​IMG]
    If someone can read italian here can understand the difference from the models...