Challange Grill color | FerrariChat

Challange Grill color

Discussion in '360/430' started by nchhotu, Jun 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nchhotu

nchhotu Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2007
    Roseville, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I have a factory challange grill (rear) on my 2003 spider. It looks flat black and faded. Did they come flat black new? Looking and repainting it. Color code?
    Thanks

2. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Rattle can semi-gloss will work just fine. Tape it off and spray.

nchhotu likes this.
  3. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Don't forget to masking tape the backside. The spray will get through.

Ace hardware has their own brand semi-gloss black that is perfect.

4. nchhotu

nchhotu Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2007
    Roseville, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Great. So I'm assuming semi gloss is stock for that grill. Thanks

5. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    Mine is semi glossy, give or take. Definitely not matte, but also not blindingly glossy.

6. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I would say so. I bought a nice reproduction of the rear grill out of UK. It was a nice semi-gloss. I have a restoration shop and use the Ace Hardware brand of semi-gloss black on many parts. I've actually tried numerous brands of the semi-gloss black and theirs is the best for matching most of the pieces that come from the factory in semi-gloss for all manner of cars we restore.

We have other more technically advanced products we use, such as professional Dupont products, that are to be applied with a spray gun and then clear coated (in a semi-gloss finish) for UV protection. But with that said, I can say for ease of application and the availability of the Ace stuff, it will probably work just fine for you on your rear Challenge grill. Just make sure it's not to hot out since it flows better when the temps are around 70 to 80 degrees. Also high humidity can affect the Ace stuff too as it can cause it to "blush" or turn hazy.

nchhotu likes this.
  7. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    You better get some really hi temp paint...

My challenge grill was bought from Ricambi and the heat has caused the paint to bubble on the top lip when you open the engine lid. I also have two semi circles on the face of the grill where the paint crinkled. I just have the stock exhaust too.

8. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Agreed with others. High-temp paint... you can't even touch the grill after a long/hard drive. If you're not going to remove the grill to paint it (you should), you have to mask off the back so you don't end up spray painting your engine. Semi-gloss was the color of my 360 challenge grill.

9. nchhotu

nchhotu Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2007
    Roseville, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Im going to remove the grill. It shouldn't take to long and i will be able to do a cleaner job. I might replace the tail light bulbs with LED's while i have it out.

RANDY6005 and fc2 like this.
  10. nchhotu

nchhotu Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2007
    Roseville, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Nick
    How did you prep for paint. Any pointers would be appreciated.
    Thanks

11. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    My grill I bought looks to be powder coated. But my method for this Ace rattle can semi-gloss is to use a red scuff pad on the parts before you paint.

I'd use alcohol to clean the grill first and then when dry scuff the grill with the red scuff pad. Using the scuff pad wet will make it too aggressive. I don't recommend using a green scuff pad as it is also too aggressive. Red scuff pads translate to about a 320 grit sandpaper. The green more like a 180 grit. Just give it a decent scrub but probably not necessary to really lay into it. The nice thing about the rattle can stuff is that it's pretty good at sticking. I tend to believe most companies understand that average folks are using a spray can in a multitude of applications and they aren't going to do really good prep work. So a decent effort on your part will give you good results. A Dupont rep once said that some of their industrial products are formulated with the same in mind-- most folks are not big on prep so they take that into account in the application and performance of their products.

I know some here have suggested a hi-temp paint. I never really noticed my grill getting that hot (despite mine seems to be powder coated). And I think the Ace stuff will withstand some hi heat without a problem. If you think about it, the OEM rear panel is solid with no ventilation and painted body color with traditional auto paint as the rest of the body of the car. I would think that would be an issue if it indeed got too hot for "normal" paint. Just my .02.

12. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    The correct way to do this is to remove the grill have it Sand blasted and powder coated low gloss black.

This is something my shop in Orange County performs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. nchhotu

nchhotu Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2007
    Roseville, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I decided to get the Grill powder coated. Getting it powder coated in semi gloss locally for $100.
    Not bad price since if taken it out might as well get it done.
    Thanks for all the info!

Bob in Texas and RANDY6005 like this.
  14. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    by far the best choice

15. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Absolutely get it powder coated. Go with 60% black.

16. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Are you sure they sandblast the grill? I do a fair amount of sandblasting in my restoration shop. I wouldn't want to recommend that for an open air perforated grill. Seems like an opportunity to warp the hell out of it. Pretty easy to warp sheet metal let alone a soft aluminum perforated structurally unsound grill.

I'd just hate to see someone try this themselves with a home blaster is all I'm saying.

Greg34 likes this.
  17. Greg34

Greg34 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 31, 2010
    Sunset Beach
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I second this for all reasons stated.
    Chem strip and clean will work just fine

18. nchhotu

nchhotu Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2007
    Roseville, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Good points. Grill is being chem stripped as we speak. After which cleaned and powder coated.
    The guy doing it said it cant be sand blasted for the reasons above and that it could change the shapes of the holes in the grill.