Remanufacturing the battery cover | FerrariChat

Remanufacturing the battery cover

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stekkefun4, Jun 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    About 80% of the Mondials are missing the battery covers, including most of my cars. I have some people asking for one and I need some myself, so I'm currently in the process of scanning the cover and planning remanufacturing.

The plastic plate is not an issue, but painting it black will be done manually. It will be printed in transparent material and then painted with the exception of the see-through section of course. The push-button will also be present in some form.

Starting up production is an expensive process of several thousands of euros, so I'm just asking your feedback to see if it's worth continuing with this.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    Did all Mondial have one? In that case mine is missing, QV-85. Might be interested.
    /Peter

3. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    My 85 QV (US Spec) has one.

I panicked recently when I thought I lost it. I thought it fell out through the gap in the front area. I redrove my route twice in the hope that I could at least recover pieces of it.

Turns out, it was a senior moment -- I had removed it and put it in the boot a couple of weeks earlier!

Sid

Pero likes this.
  4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Probably worth reproducing, many are cracked or missing, to keep the price down I would not bother painting it, clear would be fine, it is really about function in keeping water off the battery area. Mine is fine, so I can't promise to purchase a spare.

5. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I think it’s great that your thinking about this. I can tell you based on my experiance, paying for tooling on speculation is risky and should be done with careful consideration.

While developing my replacement B Pillars, I racked up almost ten thousand dollars in experimental tooling and prototyping before I produced a part that if felt was significantly better than OEM parts.

Then, I invested another eight grand in low volume production tooling that had a limited life.

I had expected that sales would be brisk and my investment
    would soon be repaid. Although I had the support of a great number of Mondial owners, the reality is that it took quite a while to break even.

The true benefit was the opportunity to provide a great solution to a problem that most of us have, while making friends which has been very satisfying.

If you go into this knowing that there is risk and that the goal is to offer a solution to fellow Mondial owners with hopes of breaking even or even making a modest amount of money then you will be in a good place.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Clnilsen and Il Steeg like this.
  6. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Looks like it's something that you can print off a 3D printer using ABS filament. It's just a matter of designing the part in a CAD program.

7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    It might also be simpler to form it out of aluminium. There is no benefit to it being see through. The plastic will just crack again, its hot in there and the cover tends to be on an off fairly regularly for battery service. A metal cover with some heat insulation on the underside might actually improve on the oem design.

8. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Scotty (from Star Trek) had the answer -- Transparent Aluminum.

Apparently it really exists. Might be too expensive for a battery covery.

Sid

moysiuan likes this.
  9. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    I design parts like that all the time at work. I have a great sheet metal vendor that could make those at a surprisingly good price in low volume. Could even bond in an acrylic window if the transparency is that important.

Cadillacbart and moysiuan like this.
  10. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Thanks for the ideas. As always, the initial investment is the most important hurdle. From what I heard, printing this kind of thing in 3D would lead to a result that easily brakes and transparant material is expensive. Of course, making this in sheet metal is cheap, but won't look the same at all and doesn't have a transparant window, unless for extra $$$.

11. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    If it must be clear, thermoforming cannot be that much... 3D printing will no way work. FDM is just bad all around for anything that doesn't just sit on your desk; even then it doesn't do a good job at that. SLS is quite strong but that part will warp like no other.

Cadillacbart and ronfrohock like this.
  12. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    If there are no clearance issues, just make it thicker. These parts all seam to break.

13. Freerange72

Freerange72 Karting

May 22, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    I am interested Stefan.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

14. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John

+ 1

15. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    any news on this endeavor?

16. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    To reach break-even, I have to sell 15 plates at least at a cost of 280 euro/unit.

17. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    What's really needed are replacement washer bottles. And level sensors.

18. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Water bottle for the Mondial QV/8/3.2 : just got one in stock :)

19. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I finished my homework and found a company that can match the original cover by almost 100% . It would be made in polycarbonate, transparent with a black border just like the original. Final sales price would be around 150 euro. Let me know what you guys think.

20. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
  21. Clnilsen

Clnilsen Karting

Jan 14, 2012
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Chuck Nilsen
    I'm interested....

22. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Shipping usually is approx 32 euro to the USA

23. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    32 Euros for shipping will put the cover at around $210 shipped...when will you do the shipping to the USA offer again...that was nice

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app