New to me 1994 348 Spider has power steering conversion | FerrariChat

New to me 1994 348 Spider has power steering conversion

Discussion in '348/355' started by aballas, May 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Somehow pretty much everyone inspecting this car including me, missed that my 348 has been converted to power steering at some point during its life. Not sure how. It's pretty obvious when you drive it that the steering has power assist, and perhaps it just slipped the PPI inspector's mind that these didn't have PS from the factory.

I found it after getting the car home and starting to poke around in the engine bay a bit.

It appears to be the PS system from a Mondial T based on the part number stamped on the pump 139511.

Has anyone seen this conversion done before? What would be needed to take it back to stock in the future if I want to do that?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    About 3 years ago there’s a thread for a Euro 348 with Ferrari fitted PS - using the T system which was obviously available on the mondial. Search should find it.

Returning to stock. Fit stock steering parts - the parts diagrams will allow you to compare with the T and check what of yours has been replaced / modified.

Assuming the suspension alignment is correct, have you driven it back to back / next to the ‘analogue’ original to see that you want it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    No, I haven't driven it with a non PS original, but I personally just like the idea of originality and the manual steering.

However the PS system does seem to work well, and looks like a good quality install. So I guess, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

It might just be something I try to get into when I have the engine out in a few years since it will be easy to access the pump then.

4. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Well I’ve only a Q.V. but I’ve been in the T in a few track days and I don’t think the PS is a handicap. at low speeds - parking it’s pretty useful.

As you say - easily done when having a major service. Suggest you trace the history of the car go see when and by whom the work was done. Might be more original than you know!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    True. I'm waiting on a binder from the P.O with the full history. Dealer forgot to send it. I'll be interested to see when it was installed. It is actually pretty nice, and the steering still feels very connected even with the assist. It just wasn't what I was expecting. Loving the car so far though....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Berning, Wade and Jasonberkeley like this.
  6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Interesting "problem".

7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    On a 348 I haven't ever seen that before. I would leave it. Nice mod.

bayferrari and aballas like this.
  8. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    That’s my thought, if you had not mentioned it .......no one might ever notice ;)

aballas likes this.
  9. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Personally I think of that is an awesome mod. You should email the factory with your VIN number who knows maybe it was ordered custom and would add value to the car...Who knows. I will tell you the rack and pinion is extremely stiff and I would love to have that mod on my 92 348TS

aballas likes this.
  10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    A hairdresser's 348? Say it isn't so. Just kidding its a good mod easier to go back to manual than to power. Enjoy it!

on the 550 maranellos 10 of us have switchable steering ecu's so we csn control steering feedback from normal to FHP sport. I find I keep the steering light. I also like lightest steering that happens to have the worst feedback when I race my vette. You get tired racing and the light steering really helps. Also, I find it easier to place my car where I want it when steering is light despite lacking the feedback in my hands. I guesd that means I have to feel the car in the seat of the pants.

aballas likes this.
  11. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Leave it. +1

aballas likes this.
  12. Berning

Berning Karting

Apr 14, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Full Name:
    Kevin Berning
    Beautiful car. I have had my 1994 spider for a few years and love it. Enjoy. Definitely will be easier to park and drive at Low speeds. congratulations.

aballas likes this.
  13. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    So looks like consensus is leave it then... Haha!

It is pretty nice at low speeds, and having spent a fair bit of time driving my father in law's '52 Dodge Power Wagon without PS I know what it's like to get that forearm workout.

I am interested to see if I can trace when it was actually installed. As far as I can tell these are all the stock Mondial T parts at least the pump and reservoir are . Would be cool to know if it was a factory custom order, or if someone went through A LOT of trouble and expense sourcing and installing these parts .

14. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    I have the pump, pulley, belt and bracket available if anyone would like to attempt this conversion...

You will need the reservoir, hoses and steering rack however

DF

15. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    There's probably a story in this conversion. Leave it and find out what it is.

aballas likes this.
  16. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Shame you haven’t got the adjustable suspension

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aballas likes this.
  17. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Go through your service records if you have any and maybe you can see who purchased the car originally and contact that person....or dealee... maybe it was a CUSTOM factory option.

18. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    So I have a few updates regarding the power steering conversion. Spoke with the previous owner. It was done by him (who had owned it since 1999), confirmed that all components are from a Mondial T. A very nice conversion, and certainly no small expense!!!

One thing that was bothering me about the conversion was the location of the fluid resevoir tank and hoses. They were routed in very close proximity to the left side exhaust manifold, (and as such needed to be wrapped in insulation to protect the rubber hoses from the heat. As I discovered when I took delivery of the car, the tank lid itself was actually not sealing properly either, and during operation was leaking a small amount of fluid onto the manifold (!!!). Obviously not an ideal situation to have flammable liquids dripping onto hot exhaust so I decided to see what I could do to change that.

I opted to replace the tank and decided to go with a tank/ cap from a 360 Spider that I found on ebay for a good price (167002 for the tank, 185353 for the fancy aluminum cap).

I decided since I would need to modify the mounting bracket anyway to see if I could move the tank itself to a place that routed the hoses away from the manifold.

I settled on a spot up near the firewall. I had an odd metal bracket (from something Jeep related, not sure what exactly) laying around that I was able to bend and repurpose to hang the tank (I will clean it up and paint it so it looks cleaner. This is just a rough mock-up).

I think this will be an ideal location as it does a very good job of moving the hoses away from the exhaust, and also allows me to have a shorter length of hose (for a cleaner looking engine bay.

Will update once the job is done.

19. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Please post photos.

20. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Sorry! Pics were there I just forgot to make the album public.

21. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Update: It's installed, pretty happy with the look and the hose routing now!

ghardt and Berning like this.
  22. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Nice job- looks stock, just like it left the factory that way!

aballas likes this.
  23. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    While I had the engine cover off I removed the disgusting looking insulation foam that was disintegrating, and replaced it with some double sided 1/4" foil/foam heat shield.

Berning likes this.
  24. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That reservoir looks good. Which adhesive did you use on the insulation? I've had difficulty with mine sticking long term.

25. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR