I can't believe this less than 20k miles and timing cover leak on my 430 | FerrariChat

I can't believe this less than 20k miles and timing cover leak on my 430

Discussion in '360/430' started by carguy007, Apr 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    I searched before posting and found one thread relating to someone else that had the same issue. I took the bottom panel off during my first oil change and saw oil spotting. The front of my motor had a small oil leak that would drip and spot the garage floor when I left the panel off. I am 90% sure it's coming from timing cover gasket. It also made everything oily and messy which I can't stand. it looks like a large amount of sealant was used so not sure if this is something that's been addressed at some point by a dealer. I am skeptical it came from factory like this. I bought the car used and of course the dealer will not share service records. Any advice or should I just suck it up and pay to fix? Below are some pics any advice appreciated. The first pic is the bottom where it's running down and dripping off. The second pics it's leaking from the black sealant gasket area. It looks like it's been like this for a while.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    These cars are getting on a bit now, and rubber in things like engine mounts, and engine seals will degrade regardless of mileage. Low mileage is actually worse than regular use for life of parts like this.

Cam cover gaskets are a bit of a service item. Have a look around the engine with a torch to make sure the oil is coming from them.

3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Yeah, more like it's a 12 year old car, not so much a mileage concern. Not a very big deal IMO. Besides that, if any of us would go out and look at our daily drivers, I would be willing to bet that there are some "spotting" issues or other small leaks or imperfections and we trust them to maintain our lives and our family's lives on a daily basis without worry. All of a sudden a small leak appears on our Ferrari, even from an easily accessible area, and we are ready to ground them :D

4. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Would not worry about it. You will forget all about it if you have F1 and/or top troubles. Consider it a good luck leak.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    You guys love these cars with no miles on them. Polymer seals dry out without use. Looks like a small leak..

6. Stephen Ayers

Stephen Ayers Rookie

Jan 21, 2018
    Bay Area, Northern California
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ayers
    My 08 Scuderia had weeping valve cover gaskets. My son was nice enough to replace over the weekend. Parts were cheap (for Ferrari) but took quite a few hours to get everything out of the way. Replaced spark plugs and a few other things on the way. Mine has 19k miles.

A surprising find. Although the service records show the car was primarily dealer maintained many of the Alan keys heads were rounded. As if someone used Standard instead of Metric tools. We replaced most for which we had replacements. Just shocked someone would be so careless.

7. Tony H

Tony H Karting

Sep 3, 2013
    I posted how to do the cover gaskets here,

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/valve-cover-gasket-replacement.567844/#post-145774563

You can stop the leaks from the front cover by cleaning the edge with Varsol and then applying a film of high temp silicone sealant along the joint. Spread it evenly with your finger. It may not look nice but it will stop any leaking. At least, it did for me.

The pictures look like someone already tried that with some black sealant. You'll need to clean that off.

8. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    I definitely agree these cars are aging. This leak is coming from the timing cover. These pictures are taken right after I cleaned it and tracked it down. It's definitely been leaking for a while. Here's what it looked like before I cleaned everything up. If the bottom panel was on it would likely just leak onto that and make a mess but never get to the floor.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    I had a similar leak on my 360 coming from the variator seals.
    Quite cheap parts but lots of labour if you decide to fix - especially if you do timing as well (recommended).

But then - I guess you don’t have to do timing since you have chains, right?

10. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Yes no belt changes for me but I am sure there's plenty of other items to worry about. My leak is more of a heavy seep. It's coming from the timing cover.

I am tempted. To just try and tighten the bolts some but that's probably not the best approach:(

11. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I was in the same boat as you. A buddy asked if I was going to sell the car it seemed like it was down for every thing. The reality like most have said is it’s old. 12-14 ish years old. Mine came certified from ferrari of San Fran (don’t bother believing the cert either). Day one the fan relay was replaced. I smelt for just a second this oil smell and immediately pulled into garage.... it was the valve covers. Then 3 months later went in to lower to scud height and that’s where you really get the 12 year old rubber stories. Both valve covers small trace (but still to me a leak), f1 actuator in back moist, all shock bushings worn, upper and lower tie rods in front worn, rear tie rods out of spec, and had to fix a snapped stud on the header. Luckily the Ferrari warranty covered the suspension stuff and I paid for the new bolt, valve cover gaskets and spark plugs while I was at it (32k miles). Going back this month to finish the 30k belt, oil, and filter.

So yeah, I thought the same thing as you....my brand new to me car has his much wrong. I watched all these vids on “ expect 2-3k a year and blah blah”. Reality, my car was driven good, it’s just old. Ferrari put in a new clutch, fluids, inspection and motor mounts with a detail a few weeks before I bought it (13k dollars worth), then the suspension with labor last month (8k ish) only 3k miles later. Over 20,000 in less than 3k miles. People think it’s a bad car but don’t understand the known issues with the ball joints or a clutch lasting 15-25k miles. Mine got 29k out of it, so I’m happy.

All you can do is accept that rubber will fail. Fix it and move on. I hope to keep this car a good amount of years and think it's good karma that I am fixing what bothers me and know the next owner will appreciate it. Sucks if this is your first experience like it is mine, but it gets better :)

12. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    I've recently replaced one of the timing cover gaskets in my 360, followed your advice and used high temp silicone. The gasket on 360 is not rubber but paronite (more like paper), no wonder they leak. Now with added silicone it should last a very long time.

13. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Just to clarify you put the sealant the leak after you had put the timing cover back on, or where you saying to put sealant on with the gasket before you put the timing cover on.

Looking at mine and it looks like the timing cover has been off and then the sealant was used on reassembly. I can't tell if that black sealant was put on after it looks like it was squeezed out when the cover was put back on.

What sealant did you use?

14. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    I put sealant on with the gasket, then reassembled the cover. Used LOCTITE SI 596 Red High Temp RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant