Trade For Porsche 993? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Trade For Porsche 993?

Discussion in '308/328' started by scowman, Jan 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
  2. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    And I don’t think I made a mistake financially or automotively. (Actually, I did make a mistake, I should have kept them both!)

3. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    We have both in the garage - an '85 QV Euro and a '95 Carrera cab. They are very different. IMHO the 993 is more akin to a 355 than a 3X8. The 308 is more like the SC. The 993 has air bags, power steering, good heat and air, fast windows, a 3.6L, Motronic FI, hydraulic valve, dry sump engine. The 308, the flat-plane 8, liquid cooled, high-revving, super model. The 993 really is a special car. You have to drive one to understand... They switched to the multi link rear end and it is such a change from the 3.2 Carrera. It is powerful, but not crazy fast, sounds great, but not as good as a 3.2... The ride is sublime, but less of an enthusiast car and more of a "buyer's" car. You already know all you need to know about the 308. Sounds like safety is a concern and the 993 has a bit more safety equipment on board. You will drive the 993 more than the 308. The 993 is a beautiful car - the curves are to die for and has one of the best rear ends of all the P-Cars up to that time. It has the soul of the 356, and the heart of the 959.

If you do go for the 993, check the panel gaps - especially the bonnet to the bumper - they should be perfect. 80K is a bit of mileage, but not excessive. Watch out for the check engine light as that is an OBDII car... That particular issue can be annoying come emission time (no CEL on the '95). There is a ton of info out there on the 993 so become informed - they aren't perfect and come with their own batch of issues. Oil changes are a pain - two oil filters... P-Car folks are a great group - just like the F-car folks, but different. It is a different car - not nearly as dramatic, but what good is drama if it just stays in the garage... I love them both, but there just isn't much crossover.

Good luck with your decision! If you were anywhere near me we could go for a nice drive. Your 308 sounds very nice :)

Franny

read33 and 375+ like this.
  4. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    Another factor to take into account is production numbers. I believe there are more 993 than 308, plus carb cars will become more and more rare when electric wave hit us

Though I must say an air cooling P is my list too

I have the Italian and japanese. I need the american and german to complete the collection

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    No one on this forum loves the 308 more than I do.

But I will say this about the 993 - it is a lot easier to live with. I had one in my driveway for a week or so about ten years ago that belonged to a friend. I remember how easy it drove and thinking one evening as I went to the grocery store in it that I would never fire up the 308 cold like this and drive a short distance on a quick errand. The 993 was like a Honda Accord in that respect. It was ready and easy to use anytime going anywhere.

And it had the best brakes I have ever felt on a street car.

They are just two very different machines.

6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I’ve posted thoughts on this thread already, but it strikes me today that these either-or decisions come down to one word; what the word means to you, how that word makes you feel, your relationship with the word, how long you have thought about that word, how you use that word. That word is “Ferrari.”

If the word “Ferrari” and the word “Porsche” both just mean “sports car” to you, go for the Porsche. It is a more dependable car.

read33 likes this.
  7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

I think it was C&D that referred to the 308 QV as "A fine mistress but a poor wife" back in the day when they were new and still in production.

308 milano likes this.
  8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I agree with this.

Thankfully, I have both a 308 and a 993 C4S in my little collection. I used the 993 as a daily driver for a long while, which I wouldn't do in a 308. The 993 is faster, stops better, has better parts availability, and so on. But the 308 is lovelier.

Very different cars.

Matt

9. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There are compromises to every design and one for the 308 is - if you want it to look like that you're gonna have to sit like this... :)

10. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    I envy you guys there in the USA . Not veering away from the topic. I have an 89 Porsche 930 and an 88 Mondial 3.3 Cabriolet . I was such a Ferrari Tifosi that I’m willing to trade in w/o any cash involve my 930 for a 328GTB or GTS but none is for sale in the Philippines. But good thing I did not, the prices for the 930’s are going up up . But if someone offered me a 328 who knows here in my country ? I might change my mind.
    There is a sensation in the Ferrari that I can’t get in the Porsche , but my 930 is way faster than my Mondial but even when driven slow the Ferrari feels fast . And the sound w/ the Stebro exhaust is exhilarating!

11. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    I wouldn't trade my 308 for ANY Porsche.

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    959? 918? CGT? Gt3 RS? Gt2?

13. read33

read33 Karting

Mar 23, 2017
    Long Island
    A Porsche is a nice car... pleasent to take for a ride... go to a fine restaurant.... and listen to the radio along the way. When you're in a Porsche you can chit chat with passengers about this and that.... all very pleasent. But a Ferrari is something entirely different. It's a thrill see one, hear one, even just to sit in one. Give someone a ride in a Ferrari and they will remember it for the rest of their life. There is nothing like a Ferrari. Don't make the trade.... you'lll regret it.

syata and Formula Uno like this.
  14. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    Tommy,

Thanks for that quote. That sums it up beautifully- it can't be stated any more eloquently or succinctly, can it?

Jeff

15. LostAussie

LostAussie Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    This is a great comment.

16. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Absolutely NOT

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I still have that magazine. Got it in 10th grade.

Amazing that we get to see ALL this pics from then, not just the 5 or so from the magazine article.

19. antoninosavoca

antoninosavoca Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2011
    Montesilvano Italy
    Full Name:
    antonino savoca
    They are 2 different cars as said before .You said you have 2 sons and i think you would like to have them in the car for some trip,You can do it with 993 , not with 308.If this is the most important reason , i would trade 993,no doubt(2+2 seats)
    If possible the best should be to have both cars,otherwise trade 993.

20. 19055

19055 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Emile
    I''d take the boys for a drive one at the time. In the 308 ! Sportscar owners can't have everything in life. Neither can their sons.. :)

AUDIO RESEARCH likes this.
  21. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Trade for a Mondial cab and have the best of all worlds!

read33 likes this.
  22. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Thanks for all the input guys. It's a tough choice. Might be good to have a mistress and a wife.

Looking at a 456 3-pedal as well. I between the 308 and 993 from a modern safety perspective... The belt change is easier than a 308... It's still a Ferrari... V12 too.

But I would miss the carbs and the smell of unburnt fuel surrounding me at a traffic light, targa off.

23. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    Thanks for asking- nothing serious going on. I'm just trying to pare down my collection (it's getting a bit unwieldy) and focus more on aviation. Presently I'm spread out 3 miles wide but only a half inch deep. I hope it brings a decent number. Could be a good litmus test for the carb 308 market.

Jeff

24. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This.

I had a '96 993 cabriolet, which I sold to go hunt for a 328. The 993 is still my favorite 911, but it isn't an exotic. The 328 was more beautiful, rare, and always a special drive. No way would I sell a nice, sorted 308 to pick up a 993.

SpyderGT likes this.