Anyone set up a Montana Loc to register their cars | FerrariChat

Anyone set up a Montana Loc to register their cars

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by carguy007, Mar 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    anyone do this in Ca or other states that have excessive tax and emissions. I am looking into it and seems a good way to go. Any feedback would be great.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    There was a huge thread a few months ago - can't recall which section but it wasn't the first

3. Zombies

Zombies Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    There are lots of ways to cheat on taxes, or rules, or regulations.

If you live in California the car is supposed to be registered in California, and you’re supposed to pay the registration fees so that our roads and such are in good shape.

If you want to cheat to save some bucks go ahead, but the small amount of money you save from this seems pretty ridiculous if you can afford this car in the first place.

davemqv, QueueCumber and Dom like this.
  4. Andynyc

Andynyc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2017
    NYC!
    Best place to ask for advice on this would be your cpa and attorney. Everyone’s situation is different and depends on variety of factors , major factor being what state will the car spend most of it time. That being said, i did it with some of my cars with no issues. However one thing that changed recently is that now Montana is charging 750$ a year for cars with original msrp over 150k . So the savings are not as much as they used to be .

5. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Its fine if you live within the laws/rules of your state. First step is to understand what your laws are and then make sure you obey them, regardless of what your neighbors think. If you cant then you have your answer.

6. truthfighter

truthfighter Rookie

Mar 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    truth teller
    if you went into accident, special investigate unit might pull out report, they will want to find out how often the car is in california before they approve for repair.
    other than that .nobody cares ..not even DMV what are you guys talking about.

7. Stormtrooper787

Stormtrooper787 Karting

Dec 15, 2017
    GA is cracking down, and doing audits on dealerships ......the department of revenue claims they will prosecute anyone that’s convicted of fraud. Montana plates are all over GA at C and C, and one friend of mine is looking at over 100k in back fees from all the cars he has registered in MT. If your legit there should be no worries.

8. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    There is a risk to do doing it. Afterall, there are legal cases where owners have been fined for doing this. Also California government did report that they managed to retrieve millions in fines and "lost revenue" one year due to cracking down on people registering their CA cars out of state.

Personally, I would recommend to not do it in California unless you rarely ever drive the car. Generally, the way you get caught is if someone reports you or if a law enforcement officer pulling you over thinks it looks suspicious.

With that said, there is the midway point where you register it out of state for 1 year to avoid the sales tax, then register it in California after that. You will still be subject to emissions and high registration renewal fees, but it only puts you at risk for the first year, and avoids sales tax. This is due to policy that California doesn't charge sales tax on used vehicles if you've owned it for at least 1 year prior.

9. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    Taxes ...all the states want to them.
    Totally stinks.
    But Delaware has softer taxes.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Come on guys... you can afford $300,000 on a car but want to cheat on your taxes?

Really?

11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    It’s the Chiron that hurts on taxes.

Dashow likes this.
  12. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    There are cars that cost tens of millions that are registered in Montana. Those who are wealthy want to stay wealthy instead of spending a disproportionate amount on taxes. I would say it is not a good idea for the 488 GTB as taxes for the car would not exceed $40,000. Just don't buy a Nautilus or something.

13. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    I have property in Montana, so I could pull this off. However, as Montana is not where I reside, and my state auto/property tax situation is not so punitive, I am not motivated to register my cars in Montana. But, if I got stuck in any of these crazy tax states, I would register in Montana. In the case of Cali, I would just move to Montana. Like 40 years ago.

mrjefflo, Loxo, Lance F and 1 other person like this.
  14. truthfighter

truthfighter Rookie

Mar 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    truth teller
    I agree. The thing is , even if you paid 10% tax. Ca government is just doing nothing . i-5 is taking like what , 5 years ? traffic still suck balls

Loxo, dustman and Napoli like this.
  15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Of course you dont cheat on your taxes but maybe there are ways to register in montana and not cheat which i would never do. I think some assumptions being made in this thread are incorrect...

Loxo and frefan like this.
  16. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I'm embarrassed for the people who do this. There is a Rolls Royce that drives around Tampa with Montana plates and to me it screams "I am a sleaze-ball who cheats on my taxes... but look at me in my Rolls"

mdrums likes this.
  17. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    So your logic is you should only steal if you are stealing a lot?

18. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    How do you know he's cheating? Most likely he does not own the car.

I'm driving a rental car in AZ with texas plates, and I can drive it all I want, as long as its legally registered *somewhere*.

19. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    I register my cars in the same state I live in, but it's a shame having to pay $40K in sales tax for a car that doesn't see more than 1K miles/year on a public road, comparing to other cars that actually use the roadway network a lot more and hence put a proportionate burden on the infrastructure.

Once again, the rich subsidizing others.

xmine, RWP137, Viperjoe and 4 others like this.
  20. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    1. I have seen the same car on several occasions so it is a local car.
    2. The Montana plates in FL is the give-a-way.
    3. If you are saying a local Tampa exotic rental car co registered it in Montana and it is not the drivers fault-- I agree with you-- then the rental co is at fault.

21. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    There are cars in florida with tags from every state and canada ....florida of all states has people that live partime in florida and partime in other states if this car had New york tags would you assume the same thing.....
    As i said earlier some of the assumptions in this thread are incorrect

22. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    No offense but you sound naive to the ways rich people and corporations can legally arrange their affairs. The 3 points you made don't amount to anything. Maybe he's breaking the rules, maybe not, you just don't know based on the information posted.

Loxo likes this.
  23. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    No, Florida man, I am saying you shouldn't steal at all.

24. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Isn't it possible that he/she is not a resident of any state. IE someone who only visits the US and is resident in another country?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Loxo likes this.
  25. noobified

noobified Karting

Jun 5, 2008
    The bulletproof way to do this is to register the car in Montana, store it there for a year and register it in CA after that year. You'll save the sales tax and get to register/drive the car in CA legally. The obvious downside is that you don't get to drive the car for a year. Depending on how much you save, it may be worth it, like if you bought a LaFerrari. I'm not sure if it's worth $20-$30K to own a car for a year and not be able to drive it. I assume that's why we buy these cars in the first place.