Ferrari 456gt 1994 starter motor removal | FerrariChat

Ferrari 456gt 1994 starter motor removal

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Prit Singh, Mar 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Prit Singh

Prit Singh Karting

May 29, 2017
    London
    Greetings. We had a cold winter and I started my car a few times until last atempt the battery wouldn't hold charge. After a new battery replacement there is Just a loud click/clunk sound of the solenoid. There is no load of the starter spinning.

I have looked under the 456GT and removed the heat shield to measure voltage and clean contacts on the starter. Still a click and no revolutions.

The starter is a Bosch unit and I just can't work a way out to remove It. Has anyone changed a starter on one of these cars?

2. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    The fix could be easier than you think. The brushes and brush holders do fail on these starter motors. That brush holder can be reached by taking off the rear cap off the motor unit. This can be taken off with the starter in place so you may want to check that first. If the commutator is good you could get away with just a new brush holder.
    If that fails, I believe I remember reading the whole unit can be taken out forward, if also the alternator is removed. You need the right tools (mainly sockets and extensions).
    Don't forget to disconnect the battery completely!

3. Prit Singh

Prit Singh Karting

May 29, 2017
    London
    Hey that’s an excellent idea. The car is parked In place where its awkward to take it out without starting. I must start her there. Luckily I can safely jack up ok all 4 tyres.

To remove the starter there really isn’t much room without taking the catalytic converter.

4. phil99

phil99 Rookie

Feb 26, 2015
    Wellington, NZ
    Full Name:
    Phil S.
    When I changed my starter I took the cats out from that side of the engine, and to do that I ended up removing the centre muffler. Not really as bad as it sounds, but a bit fiddly. Good luck.

5. Prit Singh

Prit Singh Karting

May 29, 2017
    London
    Thanks Phil I do have a Fabspeed x pipe to go in, however for now I would like to just start the car and get it to a garage on a ramp with minimal work in the snow. Hopefully a part rebuild by removing half the starter will work.

6. Prit Singh

Prit Singh Karting

May 29, 2017
    London
  7. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    What did you service? Cleaning it would have done nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    The starter isn’t out of brushes, so if you didn’t replace the solenoid, and/or fit an aux start relay, you’re still going to have trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Prit Singh

Prit Singh Karting

May 29, 2017
    London
    Hi Gizzi this was just to get the car out of storage space. Will observe the performance of the starer and have it fully rebuilt if needed once in a garage.

The armature and brushes were stuck hence the motor wouldn’t spin. The only sound was the Solenoid making a clunk.

Gizzi likes this.
  10. Prit Singh

Prit Singh Karting

May 29, 2017
    London
    Hey its played up again after I left her parked in the drive. Must completely remove and rebuild/replace. Exhaust/cat bolts are rusty and some seem a mission to get too. Wish me luck!

11. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Luck. Pulling the rear tubes off my 456 this weekend to get tranny bolts out. Going to soak them well in pb blaster

Prit Singh likes this.
  12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Don't know if you are manual or auto but many by now forgotten you can push start a manual car that lacks an intact clutch lockout switch. PM me if you need to get the Exhaust bolts out without breaking them. There is a 100% way to do that.

Prit Singh likes this.