488 GTO ? | Page 136 | FerrariChat

488 GTO ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wab0625, Apr 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    As I've always maintained, black wheels are for prototypes so that any and all details are camouflaged ;-)

Finlander, jm2, Triflux and 4 others like this.
  2. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    I let it be known many months ago that I was interested.

3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I don't mind a very dark wheel however prefer the tire to be darker than the wheel. The wheel more black than the tore seems strange to my eye.

BaronM69 and Shadowfax like this.
  4. XP1LM

XP1LM Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Truong
    I don't even know why but even with all the camo.. it already looks awesome.

Maggio23, Triflux, SAT4RE and 3 others like this.
  5. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Got my invite for the 20/2 via email last night :). Not sure if this means I get a car but at least I am "on the playing field"

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #3381 Shadowfax, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    My invite just came through by email now - currently named as "New V8 Sports Special Series". Was told a few days back I should get a car so not to worry, but nothing in writing or anything to confirm allocation at this stage. I think the dealer has best intentions for me but it will likely all boil down to the actual number of cars they get (at this stage sounds to be 10 or so) and, what Ferrari ultimately signs off on re the dealers recommendations, so for now I will remain optimistic. The dealer was also clear that a second allocation was highly unlikely or, any other version of the above.

7. bbr

bbr Karting

Jun 22, 2011
    Geneva-CH
    Full Name:
    BBR
    I am ready to bet a Ferrari 488VS keyring :) that you will get a car if you want it. So congrats because your name went through ! Being invited to an exclusive preview of the car you have been asking for, to be turned down later would be a marketing suicide for the brand. You don't build customer loyalty this way and all their game now is exactly aimed at that. Ask around the 20th, you will be with other clients officially waiting for a car and top clients who have not asked anything yet but given their profile can get them one later or an Aperta or a LE version of this beast. IMHO, not being invited still leaves some small hope to get a car later when the pressure/buzz goes down a bit, however being invited means almost no risk of being turned down.

Caeruleus11 and Shadowfax like this.
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    One can only hope you are right....will patiently await evening of 21st.....not sure what happened to the 20th....maybe something else is going on that night...

9. mycatisholdingmehostage

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I’d bet your chances are quite good. It would be pretty mean (if not a little funny) if we got invited to the event and then turned down: “Welcome to our special preview. Here’s a car you can’t have. Now can I interest you in a Lusso?”

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  10. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    :D:D:D

11. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Very true but you never know. Until its confirmed "in writing" I will still be paranoid :)

12. TomTom77

TomTom77 Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2013
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The rear car's wheels are lighter-colored than the front one's. One might that those will be the CF wheels, who allegedly come unpainted. However, if my eyes don't deceive me, the design looks slightly different from what was shown on the 'CARBON FIBER 20'' RIMS' slide from the Dealer Meeting. The latter shows the 10 spokes going straight into the central hub, the rear car's ones seem more V-spoked (5x2) to me...

NürScud, Caeruleus11 and uhn2000 like this.
  13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    When people first started mentioning the 488 VS official preview at the dealer it was described as an event for confirmed customers only. The event was a way to show exclusively the customer what he was buying.
    By comparison some UK event sounded more like a party for everyone....

14. martisracing

martisracing Karting

Nov 2, 2011
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I asked what the invite meant at the dealer (UK) and was told it meant you most likely to get one assuming there are enough allocations. I was also told there were people who had given deposits who were not on this first viewing list and are on the reserve list if allocations increase. It seems allocations are a lot less than the Speciale was

of2worlds likes this.
  15. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    We'll never really know because they are camouflaged... black ;-)

But I agree they look like the 5x2 spoke design most of the test cars have, including the first car spied which had the gold wheels.

16. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I don't think getting an invite is a big deal. Space issues and how many screens they are going to use for the livestream are the main considerations.

I've been to a few car preview events. Many, many people who attend are not customers or buyers of the car from the dealer. Either fans or looking for a party to attend and rub elbows or get access to people who own the cars. I think there has been a concerted effort to severely limit the amount of people/type of people attending events (ie., see monterey, 70th anniversary celebrations in italy, etc.).

of2worlds likes this.
  17. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    text of the e-mail invite I received:

You are invited to an exclusive evening presentation with a small group of some of our very best clients on February 20th upcoming. It will be a small affair and promises to be a great evening. The details are below.

Ferrari xxxxxxx invites you to a very exclusive event where you will be one of the first to see the new Ferrari Special Series via a unique live stream with the factory

• The special live preview will take place on Tuesday, February 20th, 2018

• The evening will begin at 7.00pm

• The location will be at Ferrari xxxx

Business/Casual attire is suggested and entrees will be served along with a selection of fine wines. Because of the very limited space, this invitation is specific to only yourself.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Don't forget the pics ha?:eek:

19. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    My regular dealer has arranged for me to go to the preview overseas as I’m traveling - but on the 21st given the time difference and the event is live streamed from the factory. Apparently my VS Aperta is confirmed.

JagShergill, Shack and of2worlds like this.
  20. 330i

330i Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2006
  21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Thank you!

of2worlds and ingegnere like this.
  22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Just received the invite for the preview on Feb. 20th :)
    (I visited the dealer last week and was already told I was on the list)

F2003-GA, Shack and of2worlds like this.
  23. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    This event must not be a pure live stream or they are going to do it multiple times. I'm on pacific time in the states. I doubt it will be shown at the same time in the East Coast (ie., 10 pm).

TJF and of2worlds like this.
  24. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Was the preview video that you could only play once just for the dealership staff to see the new VS model? Or was this for the customer group?

25. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    VS Aperta? Wow, the spider version has not even been discussed yet! I don't think it is a surprise to anyone that the spider will come and I followed the thread about your Speciale Aperta build a while ago. Congrats.

I understand UK preview is 21st too. Sounds like this car will be more limited than expected, but that Ferrari are planning more and shorter run cars in the future. I think I like this idea - might even take the speculators out a bit since it will be hard to work out which cars will do best and different buyers will qualify for different cars anyway. The future might look like "better buy the cars you really want" because anything else is too unpredictable.

Assuming it turns out to be correct this would be a good and quite multi-faceted strategy from Ferrari. I think they are ahead of Porsche in that regard. All those Porsche 'ADMs' that people talk about just seems too much like dealers being allowed to profiteer as they please. Usually leads to bad things rather than good. At least Ferrari is trying hard to put a strong discipline in place.