A Pillars are wrinkled | FerrariChat

A Pillars are wrinkled

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by tdf14cali, Aug 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tdf14cali

tdf14cali Rookie

Apr 28, 2016
    My '14 Cali black leather A pillars are wrinkled. Anyone else have this issue? Will the factory warranty cover replacement? It is my first Fcar. It is a CPO I bought a few months ago, and the service records show the previous owner was advised by the service department to replace the A pillars, he declined. At 5,000 miles the car is otherwise perfect and I absolutely love her!

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

If definitely take this up with your dealer ASAP. That doesn't sound normal...T

3. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Normal No.

But we also don't know what caused it.

An owner using a chemical to clean it , causing it to dry and shrink?

Since it has already been documented , it may be difficult.

I would suggest taking it in to the Dealer, asking them to ask their ABM to cover the repair.

It will either be covered or not ( no pun intended )

If you are asked to cover the cost, I would suggest removing the current panels, and having a local leather shop redo them, for a fraction of the cost.

I have done this for a couple out of warranty cars, that admittedly are left outside in the sun and not conditioned on a regular basis.

PM me if I can help, but as far as Ferrari covering it, it will be an easy yes or no.

The Service department simply performs the repairs that are approved. ;-)

S

4. spiraljeff

spiraljeff Rookie

Aug 20, 2017
    Mill Valley, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jeff Neugebauer
    I fixed sagging leather on my 2012 Cali, passenger A pillar last week and it was really simple so I'm responding to this post to (hopefully) help anyone else experiencing this problem. Sorry, I didn't think to take pics when I made the repair.

The leather on the passenger side A pillar had a slight ripple of sagging leather so I did some research online. I was able to determine the pillars simply snap onto the metal frame with 6 spring clips. The bottom of the pillar is molded with two square tabs that engage into holes below the dash.

Here's the fix: First pull gently but firmly at the top side of the pillar next to the glass. You may get both top clips free but If you only get one clip free, grab the top of the pillar with the other hand and pull gently towards you with both hands. When the top clip is free, it's likely the lower clips will release as well. Then simply lift the pillar up and out from the dash. The clips may stay on the metal of the car or may come off with the plastic pillar. I had some of each. You should pull any clips off the plastic pillar and put them back on the car except the two at the very top - they should be attached to the plastic pillar. You may need to use a pair of needle nose pliers to tighten some of the metal clips where they attach to the car frame and also bend the "teeth" that keep the clip secured to the car so they get a good "bite". Make sure the clips are oriented correctly or the pillar won't go back on properly.

Once the pillar is free, it should be pretty easy to separate the leather from the plastic on the side which was closest to the glass (where the pilar was most exposed to heat and UV which is what likely led to the adhesive breakdown). I pulled the entire length of leather back to about the middle of the pillar - just past where the leather was sagging. I laid the pillar down on a table with the plastic side and the pulled back leather exposed. After watching several you tube videos I purchased DAP Weldwood contact cement for the adhesive. Using the supplied brush, apply the cement to both the leather and the plastic but not the edges that wrap around the pillar. Be careful not to let the leather and plastic touch until the cement becomes dry - about 15 to 20 mins according to directions. And make sure you don't get cement on the good side of the leather, it might stain it. After the cement is set up, CAREFULLY pull the mid point of the leather edge with one hand and with the other apply pressure to the leather (again mid pillar) to adhere the two. Start in the center and work your way out to the edges and ends of the pillar. The edges of the leather will wrap around the edge of the pillar so once you've got the surface of the panel smooth and tight, flip the pillar over and apply the contact cement on the backside of the pillar and the tabs/ rollover pieces of the leather. Again, let the cement set up for 15 mins or so and then pull the edges tight and secure them to the back of the pillar. I put a few clamps on some of the edges to make sure the adhered well. Left the clamps on for an hour or so.

Let the pillar dry and outgas over night unless you want that toxic smell of contact cement in your car! Put the pillars back in place by lining up the square tabs with the holes below the dash. Simply line up the pillar with the angle of the metal pillar and press it into firmly place. Viola! Mine looks like new.