308 video: Is this the way they teach kids to shift these days? | FerrariChat

308 video: Is this the way they teach kids to shift these days?

Discussion in '308/328' started by vaccarella, Oct 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul

I never coast to a halt in neutral. And I don't blip the throttle in neutral. Maybe the Larini needs it to work ;) Am I right, or old fashioned?

2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    It's a good question about coasting neutral, I told my kids never to do it, but really the reason is to provide engine brake and to be ready move again in a hurry. Neither are important reasons. I have backed off that philosophy and often now coast to a stop in neutral myself.

As for the blipping; absolutely necessary because it sounds cool (but totally useless unless the car has idling problems).

The critique I make for the driving is that he was following a car on a high speed freeway with only a 1 second time gap from the car in front. Should be at least 2 or 3 seconds. Smith Driving System says 4 seconds. A lot can happen in that one second, particularly with a car with ABS in front.

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    (Have only ever owned 5/6 spd cars for the past ... how old am I...? 30+ years...)

Whether I coast in neutral or under power is kind of situational. If I know I'm coming to a full stop, I'll go either full clutch or neutral (less leg fatigue) for the last few 20-30 yards. When I'm stopped at a light, I'm going to be in (N) anyway.

The engine revving while stopped... never done that in any car BUT my Ferrari. And only when I'm having low idle issues. ;)

Also seemed like he was blipping as you would when you are downshifting and matching the rev... except he wasn't downshifting. So perhaps it's either habit, or he doesn't know why one blips?

4. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    In the 308, I usually downshift & rev match when coming to gentle stops like those. You're right, he pretends to rev match. Goes from 4th straight to neutral and blips whilst coasting. I'd swear he pretends to heel and toe at one point.

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I've never owned an automatic until about 10 years ago (I'm 49 this week)...I took my drivers test with a stick, and exclusively owned manual shift cars until 2007. I've coasted in neutral from time to time, it depends...sometimes I just get lazy.

It's not frequent, but I do it. FWIW.

6. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My mom (79) swears you need to coast to a stop in neutral. That's how my "Pop" taught her back in the late 40's. My driving makes her crazy as I use my gears with blipping the throttle to rev match coming to a stop (In every standard I have ever driven since 1978).

7. bentrm

bentrm Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I think he was letting the car warm up a bit.

8. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    The idiotic blipping of the throttle aside, I'd never sit passenger with him as the driver... looking over your shoulder to change lanes at speed WTF! :eek: If my boys ever drove like that I'd smack them upside the head.. use your god damned mirrors!

SpyderGT likes this.
  9. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    When he first started the engine I thought it was a QV with the high speed idle but it seems to be a carb car from the sound of the engine and the Vitalonis. Its nice to know other owners have bent handbrake levers too (I'm always straightening mine out). But blipping the throttle after selecting the downshift is just wrong.

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Only time I am in neutral is at a stop light.

(I have never worn a clutch out in 33 years either)

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It's a carbed car, the interior layout is the giveaway

12. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    In our province, you can fail a driver's test by not doing a shoulder check for changing lanes but, some years ago, one of the government approved "collision avoidance" driving courses recommended against shoulder checks and, instead, using your mirrors (properly adjusted, of course), just as you suggest. Problem is, many people don't adjust their mirrors correctly. Always scares me when the driver is looking over their shoulder, while moving, to the detriment of seeing what's ahead.

13. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Too late. He revved to the 4000s within seconds of leaving the parking lot.

14. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    The first rule of Italian driving (rips off and discards rear view mirror): What's behind you is not important:)

vaccarella and thorn like this.
  15. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    All joking aside, my vitaloni Californians are adjusted perfectly, and I still think the passenger mirror is worthless. Between that and the blind spot created by the rear buttress, I sometimes do a shoulder check. You also will notice that his passenger mirror is flopped down. I've tightened and tightened again the screws for the mirrors, and they still flop down after a period of driving at speed.

16. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I've done shoulder checks all my life, and in the Ferrari even moreso. That's how I was taught, and it's absolutely saved me from blind spot collisions. When I'm changing a lane, I've already verified traffic conditions ahead... taking a 1/2 second to glance back isn't compromising my forward safety. If it does, you're following the car in front of you too closely.

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    My first car (and the only car I drove daily from age 17 until 32) didn't have a passenger mirror.

I am still not used to them to this day because I drove so long just looking over my shoulder

18. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Man, you guys are tough!

I'm just happy a young guy is showing some interest in an "older" car and even knows how to drive a manual. That's a rarity these days.

SpyderGT and thorn like this.
  19. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ya know what, that's a really good point. Maybe he's blipping more than he should, but he's also enjoying his Ferrari. Hope he enjoys 50 more years with it.

HotShoe likes this.
  20. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Even with the mirrors set properly, there's always a chance of traffic moving into a blindspot, unless you're out in the middle of nowhere. I always do a shoulder check after a mirror check, with all my cars.

21. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I always do an over the shoulder check unless I just passed a vehicle. Small cars, motorcycles, etc hide in blind spots no matter how well mirrors might be adjusted.

thorn likes this.
  22. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Motorcyclists everywhere thank you for your caution.

FrannyB likes this.
  23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Yes- that is my thought. I thought he drove well. Coasting to a stop light? not a big deal. blipping he throttle? not a big deal and its a carb'd 308... so not sure how many of you have driven one, but the clutch is SUPER hard to depress, so you want to make sure you have your foot properly placed on the brake and throttle.... When I drive carbed cars I'm always giving it a bit of gas until its nice and warm, cause if you stall it and it vaporlocks etc... not fun. so I have no problem with how he was driving. in fact kudos to him - notice how his whole body moves when he is shifting... the Carb'd car's clutch is like a brick wall! its very stiff. In traffic you'd get a cramp holding it down for very long trying to make a left turn with out a signal.

24. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I had an i & now a carb. No difference. Compared to a modern car, yes it's a stiffer clutch but even a girl in heels could hold it down. It doesn't take long to get used to. I never blip at lights. There's no need whatsoever. The engine idles quite happily without my intervention.

25. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I fell asleep.

What happened?

:)

Matt