Am I expecting too much? 458 is bad condition? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Am I expecting too much? 458 is bad condition?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by American, Aug 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maxvonauto

maxvonauto Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2015
    Corona
    Full Name:
    Mark

I agree, you’ve got to look at the entire car, inside and out. Maybe the owner lived in an area where the roads were prone to having debris from traffic, construction, or industry. The other damage is pretty common and probably due to some driver error backing up or an impromptu roadside repair. Sometimes you just have to risk some minor damage to enjoy the car. The only choice would be to let it sit in the garage!

Frankly, the stereotype that any modern Ferrari with more than 20k miles and a few scratches should be avoided is laughable. Times have changed. Modern design, manufacturing and material technology has leveled the playing field where even entry level cars are well built and reliable for many, many miles. There’s simply no reason, economical or performance, to do otherwise. If you knew the kind of reliability analysis, safety margins and testing that all manufactures do today you’d know how very difficult it would be to wear a car out before its time, even if occasional abused with only the most basic maintenance performed.

With respect to cosmetics, I feel there’s a kind of hypocrisy at work here. Most owners who take pride in keeping their low mileage cars exterior and interior looking like new will frown upon and judge another’s car that doesn’t meet their standards. However, having worked on hundreds of these cars I can assure you that the look is only skin deep. Pull a wheel, a fender liner, the under tray, the engine covers, etc, and you’ll see so much disgusting filth you don’t even want to work on the car! So why the double standard?

2. waterking

waterking Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2011
    Texas

This^

Could not have been said any better.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #28 TheMayor, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Really? You're joking, right? There's only 350 458's out there now on Cars.com. It's not like they can't find a better one that will cost them less than fixing this one up.

If the OP wants a car to abuse, then go for this one. But if he's thinking he's found a cheap Ferrari-- this car is no bargain. Anyone who sold this car in this condition didn't care much for it or they would have fixed it as the problems happened.

The OP asked if the condition of this was normal or if was he expecting too much. It is certainly NOT normal and he should expect BETTER.

4. American

American Rookie

Mar 31, 2016
    (I'm the OP)

I agree. Truth be told, I am looking for a higher miles Ferrari. I plan to daily drive the vehicle. So 20k+ miles is actually something I'm looking for, otherwise the depreciation from purchasing a 10k mile 458 will hurt. Realistically looking to add 6k miles a year.

Plus, I've read that a car that hasn't been driven in a long time, or at all, is actually more likely to have issues than a car with regular small use.

I just didn't expect that a higher mile 458 would be cosmetically hurt. It seems the consensus eludes that it's uncommon. However, I have verified from another 458 situated in a Ferrari dealer that a rear diffuser crack is surprisingly common (I expect on the plastic, non carbon fiber ones). Unfortunately the bottom crack on the side skirt and shift of the panel turns me off from the one previewed here in SoCal. I believe repairing it would hurt me in resell as well.

@TheMayor

I appreciate your input too. I agree, with so many on the market, I would prefer to shell out another 5-10% and have the exterior in a better condition than the one seen.

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Hi Friend, reading this it shows me a few things ...

A very bad sales company,
    a very bad owner (indeed disrespected this car),
    a bad 458 with lots of damage (why do you want it, price ??) and
    take somebody with you to view (other) cars who has no emotion on cars.

Let go this one !

EXACTLY !

Good hunting.

6. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Yes you can find one in better cosmetic condition. With so many cars out there why not. But if the car is priced accordingly then you can have the cosmetic work fixed from the money you saved. How much is this car listed for?

7. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #32 Labman, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    No way. Heed the advice given here. Don't even consider this one. FoD had one that had tons of chips all over and a cracked diffuser. PPI revealed that the car mostly likely was heavily tracked and I suspect this one may have as well. So the $250 I spent on that PPI was well worth it. Wait for another to pop up.

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    ...or.....the car is driven.
    I have a 458 spider that is in perfect mechanical condition...I road trip with friends...went on a 3500 mile trip this May...of course it has stone chips (none that large), and of course the windshield has some little chips (little ones) for the same reason. Last weekend was driving behind my friend and a small piece of metal strip was in the road and his tire kicked it up as he drove ove rit...hit the front bumper of my car..luckily the Xpel bore the brunt of it, and the paint may be fine...am I going to fix it? Hell no.
    I plan on driving, driving, driving and there will be many more. I will keep the car in perfect mechanical shape.
    When, in years, it comes time to sell/trade I'll make sure cosmetics are reasonably repaired relative to trade value.
    Just as I mentioned in my previous port..the issue that would concern me is the seeming lack of regard to make those repairs prior to listing for sale.

None of you know the condition of that particular car..yet oddly that doesn't stop you from proclaiming run away..it is abused...you will regret I...etc.
    What is it..your egos can't stand the possibility you don't know everything all the time?

My advice...IF the price is right for you, IF you like the spec...THEN get a PPI..IF the PPI checks out...then make your own decision.

What could be simpler?

9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The fact that a car has 30000 miles on it does not mean it should look beat up. When I sold my Turbo S cab, it had 48000 kms on it and the car was pristine inside and out. I admit that I am fanatical about maintaining the appearance and condition but I am exactly the type of owner from whom you should purchase a car.

10. Hoagers

Hoagers Karting

Dec 4, 2016
    Let's keep this in perspective - you looked at all of ONE sample size of a thing are are somehow trying to draw a conclusion. Yes this car has cosmetic issues so what? Some see that as a chance to bid the price down due to "perceived" lack of interest by buyers others see this as something that shows evidence of "other carelessness and lack of respect" therefore they run away. If you feel there's value there that you can uncover and you're ok with that then go ahead, if not there are MANY other cars that may suit your desires but why are you so confused here over a single car? Go look at MANY, find the one that makes you happy THEN negotiate the price that makes you feel good, don't find a price then try to justify your happiness into it.

Here try this:
    Do a "Ben Franklin" - make a clear list of the things that are important such as "non-smoker", options and colors you want, mileage range, year, etc then hunt according to that

Once you've found a car that fits your bill then speak with the seller asking many questions to clarify that this is worthy of your time

Run a CarFax ( I know they are pretty worthless but it may turn up things such as mileage that doesn't jive, maintenance, possible accidents or paintwork, how many owners, etc

If it's a dealer find out where they got it (auction, trade in, etc) as how long they've had it, how many offers were made and not accepted and why, do they have ALL the keys, original maintenance records and paperwork, tools, car cover, charger, is there any warranty coming with the car, what did they do or repair upon taking possession of it, etc?

If it's a private party - why are they selling it? Do they have ALL the paperwork and maintenance records? What's been done other than standard maintenance? How are the tires and brakes? Any warranty remaining? Ever driven on salty roads? What will they do with the proceeds from this sale? How long has it been for sale and what avenues are they using now?What will they do if it's not sold in the next 30-60 days? Are they a smoker, if that matters to you? What makes this car anything other than perfect showroom condition? Ever any paint or bodywork done? Where did they get the car from?

After all this has been discussed THEN go look at it otherwise why waste your time? Quit trying to polish turds like the one you posted unless you're looking to buy low with a car that's been beat up a little. Yes you can replace those items but all that should be decided prior to going out looking and be already taken onto consideration in the buying price and realized by the seller otherwise you're wasting each others time

11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Terrible my 88 TR is spotless next to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    well, it's a well used car but may be a good deal depending on the asking price.

13. amgm5s8

amgm5s8 Rookie

Jun 1, 2017
    Palm Beach Gardens,
    What are they asking?

14. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    You can do much better! I would run from this deal.

15. American

American Rookie

Mar 31, 2016
    I appreciate the list of items given! Going to definitely keep this list to ask all dealers/sellers.

Surprisingly, the splitter was the only damage that was disclosed prior to arriving to the dealership. The damage on the bottom side-skirt, and panel shift, was not disclosed prior to actually pointing out the damage to the sales rep. Nor were the scratches on the rear bumper disclosed.

I do believe a Ferrari Dealership, or reputable one, will disclose any and all damage (I had a great experience this morning from a Ferrari dealership). However, not all dealerships are created equal.

16. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    too true!

17. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Someone has neglected to take care of that 458 properly, and now is trying to shove it down the throat of someone who has more money than knowledge.

If the seller wants to sell, he/she will have to spend the bucks they're trying to save, and fix that Ferrari like they should.

Buyer has two options: run until he/she passes out and buy a properly sorted and taken care of 458, or buy it for, lets say, 100.000 USD or thereabouts and restore the car to its former glory (though feasible finantially, I wouldn't recommend it - far too many headaches, and in years to come I believe the 458 will get increasingly rarer on the market, but for now there's plenty of them to choose from).

Lastly: loving the 458 as I do, it makes me very sad to see a car this abused and ill-treated this way.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

18. Hoagers

Hoagers Karting

Dec 4, 2016
    #43 Hoagers, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Nuno that's absolutely nonsense. This car doesn't carry Ebola it has some cosmetic issues so what!?!? What that means is "it has some cosmetic issues" nothing more nothing less that is the whole story. He is not trying to "shove it down someones throat" that is ridiculous. Not everyone treats their cars as a goddess (I Do) some see them as cars to be used. Some have the resources that it doesn't matter to them and they're allowed to do so just as just as those this who covet their cars no one is more right than the other. Who cares - the car will sell eventually to someone who feels the price and car are in alignment

The OP original car has some issues so IF the OP, or other prospective buyer, feels the rest of the car is desirable then make an offer they feel takes that into consideration but get off this high horse of superiority and arrogance because it doesn't suit your personal standards or what you feel acceptable. It's one car and don't make it sound like they are Muslim and their Koran was defiled

I've never seen anyplace where people are so closed-minded as this forum - take a look at the 720S vs 488 thread... the bottom line is FAR too many people feel that if others don't do exactly like themselves that the others are wrong. The VAST majority of those who are "die-hard F fanboys are touting their cars without ever having seen a 720S or have driven one yet they are resolute in their hatred for something they know so very little about just to "save face" and feel like they belong to a group. The prevailing attitude seems to be "oh hey your car is just like mine you're cool!" and anything that is not aligned is somehow "bad" or "wrong" and must be attacked. This has become a sign of the times with choosing a side so you can then attack the other side (think of Repubs vs Dems, etc). It's like a bar where two football teams are playing and you contrive hatred towards someone else simply because they cheer or bare another teams jersey just because of differing thoughts/opinions

19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    This place is ridiculous.
    There are people on this thread who have written in response to someone showing a picture of their damaged car and very upset about it (or that Speciale that got damaged in C&C) with a very patronizing tone, "It's just a car, get over it, fix it and move on..blah blah blah."

Then on this thread they throw their hands in the air, moaning and wailing and lament the travesty of a car that has been (paraphrasing) "abused, defiled, torn asunder...run away...run far away..only a fool would buy this trashed abomination...blah blah blah."

Hypocrites.

20. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I wonder if there has ever been a perfectly clean Ferrari with old belts, shavings in the transmission and warped rotors?

Never mind... what am I thinking.

GT

21. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Hoagers, you're right. The thing is, such damage on such a new car (458s are at best 7 years old by now) makes a prospective buyer wonder in what circumstances was the car used. If such a simple thing wasn't promptly addressed, one starts to guess if mechanically the car is the same as it is on the outside. And for guys like me, big pains in the neck about a mint car, it's a bit puzzling why someone wouldn't fix that damage, though only cosmetic, right away, because I and other would and have.

With no shortage of mint, stellar and low-miles 458s for sale out there, it isn't what I'd call good seller policy, but that's just me. I know and agree everything can be fixed and restored to its former glory: I bought a 575 that had been involved in a serious accident, so believe me I wouldn't be put off a car because of hairline cracks or anything of the sort!

I honestly think that's a bit too much, not to mention unfair. Productive discussions are held here on a daily basis, as long as folks don't try to convince others or want to be right 100% of the time. If we don't debate or defend and idea as though our lives depend on it, but instead explain ourselves better and do the simple exercise of trying to get on eachothers' shoes, everything can be debated with the necessary calm and the needed tolerance to learn, reinforce an idea, apologise and/or learn.

Loving my cars and loving every single detail in them, I do feel for a car that needs care and attention. And with so many 458s for sale out there, I would look elsewhere. That is my sincere opinion and that's what I told the OP, that's what I'd tell my closest friend wanting to buy a 458 or this 458 in particular. My 2 cents.

I respect different opinions from mine and will not dismiss them just because they may be contrary to mine. No need to brand people or namecalling.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

22. xfrgtr

xfrgtr Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Agree

23. Cyrek

Cyrek Karting

Mar 24, 2015
    F that car

24. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    My opinion on a car like this depends on the price and what you want to use it for.

If you live and park in NYC and want a cheap 458, assuming it's mechanically sound - I would consider a car priced at a deep discount with minor cosmetic flaws. If I wanted a perfect concours car, I obviously I would pass on a car with defects. It all depends what your needs are.

25. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    We are looking at a few trees and do not even know how the entire forest is. Show us more pictures of the ENTIRE car, not through the microscope of the previous problems. Then the opinion you seek may be more balanced.