Tires For 308 ? | FerrariChat

Tires For 308 ?

Discussion in '308/328' started by 2dinos, Aug 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noblesteed

noblesteed Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Brantley
    I don't have experience with those. I went with the Bridgestone Potenza RE970... they have a basic tread pattern that look somewhat period correct and handle great!

2. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I see there's a new entrant this year in the 205/70 14 market - the Dunlop Sport Classic. They claim "classic look, modern performance". That'd be nice. It's probably too new for any road reports but I'd be interested to hear views as and when.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks Paul, interesting to note!
    What speed rating?

I like Dunlops, use them on my Toyota truck.

Almost thru with wheels for the FULDAs I purchased from Goodyear.
    At this point they are expired on age, but they were stored in the dark!

4. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    They're W rated. Goodyear own the Dunlop brand these days, so maybe they're not so far from your Fuldas . I don't know about availability in the states.. Here's the press release: Goodyear Newsroom : Dunlop launches Sport Classic, its latest High Performance tire designed for classic cars . I never found out about the Michelin's compound which irritated me. I remember a reseller on here getting very angry with me when I asked. Dunlop are declaring the compound used, which is a step in the right direction.

5. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    These new Dunlops come with EU tyre labelling. All the other classic tyres we know like the XWX, Cinturato & Vredestein get out of this labelling regulation because any tyre designed before 1990 is exempt. It's therefore difficult to get any comparable information on them apart from road tests. The label evaluates metrics on fuel economy, wet road performance and noise rating.

The Dunlop Classic gets Fuel Efficiency: C, Wet Grip B, Noise Level 69dB ( https://image.delti.com/reifenlabel/1/C/B/69/1-C-B-69-2.png ) I'm really quite impressed by the ratings. It's a great shame we can't see comparisons to the XWX etc.

The Michelin Latitude Sports that I have on my Turbo S Cayenne: Fuel B, Wet B, Noise 72dB.

Another comparison point is some cheap Chinese tyres: Maxxis MA-P1 205/70 R14 95V achieves Fuel F, Wet B, Noise 71dB

Finally, some cheap Falkens: Ziex ZE914 Ecorun 205/70 R14 98H XL achieve Fuel E, Wet B, Noise 71dB

The new Dunlop range has an EU performance label because it is a newly designed tyre with a classic look. Here's the tread pattern: https://ssl.delti.com/tyre-pictures/Dunlop/SportClassic.jpg and a view from the side http://i2.wp.com/www.reifenpresse.de/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2017/07/Dunlop-Sport-Classic-Seitenwand-klein.jpg?fit=600%2C600 and here's info about how the EU labelling regulation works: ETRMA - Tyre Labelling

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Indeed, lists the Ferrari 308 as specific application....Praise the Lord!!

It cost Goodyear almost $800 FREIGHT to ship my FULDAS to Texas!

Had four or five airline stickers, on each one!

The FULDAS are a Gatorback tread, like an Eagle. I will finish the wheels and mount them up for pictures....

7. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    :eek:

I'd be putting them on a slow boat to Galveston & just wait. They're not fragile!

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No kidding!

Also, in the business we have this thing, called "pallet" and also "banding tool".
    They were five loose pieces, I suppose bouncing around the cargo hold!

But Akron had already done a "world search" for the product and quoted me so...they ate that.

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Even FULDA only made that size "once a year" and once my Factory Girl got promoted I could never reach them again (in Germany).

Once rolling I will go by Goodyear Warehouse here in Houston (always gave me cash dealer pricing) and see if they can figure out an order.

But, those Dunlops look great (closer to the XWX) and would be fine.
    Not running three cars any more...so not Fleet User!!
    LOL!

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Plus, I got an OEM set of QV 16"s.....

11. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I believe the Vredstein are good / excellent quality and VR rated. I'm sure they handle better than my 14 yr old Sumitomo which are discoloring form age. FWIW - I bought some Longstone TRX's and they are pretty awesome. I'd like the XWX, and still considering, but at half the price for the Vred's, it's got me thinking??

12. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    I have had Vreds on my 1975 GT4 for the past 5 years. They are perfectly suitable from a profile, feel, and performance. Next time around, though, I'll go for the XWX's... mainly for the classic tread pattern and look.

13. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have had the Vredsteins on my 78 308 GTS for a couple of years. Excellent tire and half the price of the Michelins. I have not really pushed my car too much on the street and have not had it on the track, so I can't say how they handle at the extreme.

I find the 70 profile really dampens the bumps and the car is very smooth, yet responsive. I also like the classic "balloon tire" look of these old cars.

Eforg23 likes this.
  14. archstanton

archstanton Karting

Aug 10, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I've had the Vredestein SC's on my car for a couple of years. They look good with the stock wheels and handle OK. Previously I had 16" wheels with Bridgestone potenzas. Of course there was a substantial decrement in handling when going to the Vreds. But I don't really push my car very hard on the street, so its OK. Funny thing is when I first got the car it had some old Goodyears on it that handled really well- switching to the Bridgestones on the 16's didn't feel much different! Those old Goodyears must have been stiff with age. I hated to get rid of them because they looked great too!