Do kids hate cars, and Ferraris? | FerrariChat

Do kids hate cars, and Ferraris?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Themaven, Aug 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    There's a lot of talk here and in the world in general about how the new generation - under 30s, under 18s, the Uber kids, the self driving kids, whatever - are either indifferent about, or are hostile to, cars. And if they like cars, they dig Teslas and theoretical hydrogen powered vehicles, and not anything like our cars.

They don't crave licences when they come of age, they don't see a car as a desirable item, perceive cars as polluting and old, etc etc.

But when I drive my Ferraris around, and/or drive for a review a Lambo or McLaren or whatever, the cars get a lot of attention and photos from this same younger generation. Small boys in the back of family cars give thumbs ups, as they have for generations.

So, what's the truth here? Do new kids not have an interest in exotic cars? Or are they, as someone said, just less interested in the boring stuff?

On the one hand, a perception of a move away from greenhouse benching combustion engines makes sense. On the other hand, more Ferraris are being sold than ever before..every year..

Opinions?

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    No, there are plenty of kids and teenagers that love cars. The hobby has gotten out of control expensive, though. All generations of cars are priced way too high and you can no longer get a cool used car in high school or college. Supras, E30s, C3 vettes, etc.

The car video game scene is still strong as are movies with cars (Fast and Furious franchise).

3. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I think kids/millenials still like hot cars...but a greater number than past generations may be less interested in them...either due to growing up with social brainwashing guilt about cars "the green generation", or higher priorities in electronics, video games etc for making decision on how to spend their time/money.
    It's not just cars. I'd argue there may be less interest in certain sports as well, and possibly musical instruments (unless you consider a DJ table to be an instrument, which I don't).

4. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Agree with the stupid DJ craze . It's ridiculous; these people are not musicians, yet they're held up as music gods. Can you tell that I'm a degreed professional musician??!! :)

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The biggest cultural change in the past 50 years:

If you want to get laid today in College own a Prius and not a sports or muscle car.

True story: Today this morning I saw two buffed out 20 something surfer dudes down by the beach putting their surfboards on top of a Prius. Made me SICK

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Technically, wouldn't the Prius be the equivalent of the VW van that surfers used to use?

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No, that would be some kind of cool SUV thingy today.

A Prius would be like a Rambler in 1960s world. The Beach Boys never sang a song about a Rambler!

8. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I get a lot of young kids (8 to 12 year old) who love seeing Ferrari's and other exotic cars. I can't believe some of the reactions I get to my F430 when kids see the car (all good). I have even been surprised at the positive reactions I get from 16-18 year old teenagers. But then again, I live in Michigan and the automobile is looked at very favorable due to the culture.

9. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    hmmm not sure about this Mayor... I think there's no such thing as a 'cool' SUV - they're just the cars they remember their mums dropping them off at school in.

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    In California cars in general today are "uncool" if you're a teen.

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Not true at all. They make these sport SUV's today like the Rav 4.

That would be the equivalent of a VW bus today.

12. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    That maybe at outliner ....my 18 old is into cars and all his friends. They still use a wood saw to cut a muffler off a Honda. My daughter who is almost a teen can't wait for her license to drive as well. And she loves sport suv's like the gle 63s, and the Audi sq5 .....

The ones you maybe seeing that are not into cars are the ones that they call "hipsters" , long hair, riding bikes, not clean shaven etc ..... We used to call them homeless in our day ;)

It's about affordability today between insurance, gas, maintence etc ....the well to do kids are very well into cars for the same freedom we had ...to get out ....What they are not into is a Ferrari 355 over an Audi rs3/bmw m2/ Benz c63 ....

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Kids today know a TON more about Video games than they do about cars.

Just ask one. I bet 90% of all teens today don't know how to open a hood or even care what is under it.

14. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    LOL!! I see the difference now Bob. :D

Since you mentioned it, my dads parents had a rambler which he said he had to embarrassly drive around as his first car.

15. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    My son is 15 and can't wait to get his license. A few of his friends are "into" cars, but most are not. In my experience, most high school students aren't as eager to get their licenses because of the economic hurdles associated with a driver's license. Insurance rates have gone through the roof. Cheap reliable cars aren't as easy to find as when we were teenagers. Also, in Illinois, New drivers under 18 can only have one non-family member under 18 in the car with them during their first year of driving. Illinois also has "Cinderella licenses." Add to this that today's kids have no idea how to work on cars since No Child Left Behind killed auto shop classes. As for the Prius being cool, nope. I've never heard any of my son's friends wish they had a Prius.

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Exhibit A:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbHm8yQM6CA[/ame]

Exhibit B

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7yt-VPYtOA[/ame]

Exhibit C

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z_XcHCs1ZQ[/ame]

17. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Bob, if you don't think things like this happened in the era of Daytona's you are mislead, it did. The difference is there was no video of it back then like today. Many of the old cars got key jobs, rims stolen, knifed tires, stereos stolen With smashed windows. Not sure what your videos have to do with kids not wanting cars or wanting to drive. Stupidity has been around since the beginning of time

18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    cost of insurance
    penalties for driving infractions.

these two things eat so much money and fun out of it, that its understandable that they have some hesitancy to get into it.

but my kids like cars just fine.

19. tomd308

tomd308 Karting

Jun 10, 2006
    gainesville florida
    Full Name:
    thomas dukas
    My nephew is 17 and is driving around in my old Lexus LS400. He really like the car but would prefer a BMW convertible with a manual trans. He loved the Ferrari Finali Mondiali at Daytona and really likes my 308 and the fact that his dad is dating someone who's father has a 360. Maybe the Ferrari bug has him.

20. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Conversely, it stands to reason that most of us on this site are "car guys" and it's plausible that the offspring of car guys are likely to become car people as well. Maybe they're the outliers. My daughter knows more about cars than most kids her age. I doubt that would be the case if I didnt instill that in her by talking about them, going to car shows with her, building models together etc. She knows about as much about cars at the age of 7 as her mother does.

21. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
  22. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    That's nothing new. In the 80s and 90's all kinds of crap happened to my cars. A jerk stood on the hood of my parked corvette (not realizing I was in it), another put a cigarette burn in the paint on its fender. Another loosened most of the lug nuts on my wheels, presumably in a foiled attempt to steal them. My mustang was broken into about 3x, stolen once. And so on....

23. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    As a 25-year-old, I find myself in a definite minority among my peers when it comes to an interest in cars. A large part of it has to do with social interaction--one used to have to drive somewhere to see and speak to friends/romantic interests. Now, it's all done by phone or computer. There simply is no need for a 16-year-old to have a car, and the immense surge in insurance rates, gas prices, and maintenance costs have made it cost-prohibitive anyways.

Try working on anything made after 2010--chances are you'll need a laptop, a bunch of security bits, and a hoist. It's very difficult for the home mechanic to do more than a brake job or oil change (and even that is becoming less common).

That said, most of my friends to whom I've given a ride in any of my cars have developed an interest in cars thereafter. Perhaps it's a lack of direct exposure.

24. f12luke

f12luke Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Luke Tarbuck
    I speak from the under 18 demographic and live and breath Ferrari. The feeling of driving a Ferrari outweighs the thoughts of ruining the planet. I get you claim of kids thinking of cars as old, is true in some cases, especially since the innovation of Tesla, but for me, the desire of one day owning and driving my very own Ferrari, is a catalyst to work hard until I get there. Look at any supercar spotter on Instagram (all around the age of 18) - do you see a Tesla?

What are your thoughts?

25. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    In Texas, the group that almost never comments on our cars are millennials. The older people (mostly guys) love the cars and stop and ask questions, ask to take pics. And kids say 25 and under and a LOT of them in 10-13 range absolutely LOVE the cars. They pester their moms to pull into gas stations when we're there and we let them sit in them and take pics. And what I've noticed is those young kids know exactly what a GT-R is when the older groups don't.

I should also say that my niece, who is 13, loves our fast cars so it's not limited to the boys either, which is nice.