holding floor mats still | FerrariChat

holding floor mats still

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by petrolheadjeff, Jul 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hi, I got my car with 4 loose car mats, ordinary black floor mats and a pair of black top mats with white "Ferrari" type on the top mat. Now both mats move around. The original floor mat seems to have had a huge bit of Velcro stuck to the bottom and I guess the "other" part (now gone) was fixed to the metal floor. It's always been a niggling issue but until now I've lived with it. Now I'd like to fix those mats properly. Looking on eBay there's a lot of solutions for affixing top mat to floor mat but less so of the floor mat to the metal floor.

Sure I could screw the whole thing down with self tapping screws and wide washers but I'm not about to drill into my car.

I've thought about contact glue but that's just too difficult to get rid of in the future for whatever reason. I've thought about a piece of heavyweight soundproofing material laying that out and using clips from top to bottom and hoping the weight alone will keep it all still.

I just wondered if anyone has had this issue and found a good solution that doesn't involve a drill.

Thanks
    Jeff

2. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    My mats are on top of the carpeting and like no other car I own they move around more in the Mondial. Not terrible, but much worse than any other. I haven't done it yet, but you drill a whole in the floor mats about an inch or less in from the back and use a zip tie and anchor them to your seat post so they don't slide forward any more. I don't even know where to buy replacement floor mats so I'm hesitant to do this with mine in case they start fraying after a while. Not sure if they would, but....

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Staple gun...

4. Clnilsen

Clnilsen Karting

Jan 14, 2012
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Chuck Nilsen
    If you want different mats, I highly recommend Cocomats. Good quality, and they seem to be the only mats I've ever had that stay put.

5. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Gorilla glue. Or I did see someone make small holes in the back of the mat and attach to the seat mount. If you have the same trouble I do they slide forward when I get in. If I was not old and fat it probably would not be a problem.

6. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I bought some inexpensive Ferrari cufflinks on Ebay and used them as an anchor thru the mats and white zip ties to the seat bolts to hold mine in place.

No one notices the zip ties and the rectangular Ferrari logo cufflinks look really nice peeking thru the nice, thick Lloyd's mats.
    Alden

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    what a brilliant idea Alden...gonna try this one...

8. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #8 petrolheadjeff, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    I guess if you keep the mats still and tight with the zips or similar the chance of the holes fraying and opening up become less. Perhaps one of those eyelets I used to use to knock together for my camping gear would be a tidy way to finish the job off? Something like the links below or the metal version with a dollop of black paint to make them disappear. As the carpet is thicker the thin plastic ones seem to narrow to close and snap together. I've only ever used the copper ones. Years back. I know there's some room with the metal ones if I remember right and they'll take a whack to close up properly for a tidy finish. Yeah, I'll get some of the metal ones I think. I'm sitting here doubting the plastic ones will close because of the thickness of the carpet. OK, on order!

10Pcs camping Awning Tent Tarp Canopy Eyelets Grommets Install Repair Kit | eBay

ANCHOR GUYS FOR USE WITH LANGARD 12mm EYELETS FOR A RESILIENT TIE DOWN | eBay

9. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Just a thought...maybe Velcro may help. That way you are not cutting into the mat.