LA Times on David Lee's collection... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

LA Times on David Lee's collection...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by NYC Fred, Jun 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    see above.

2. Brisbane

Brisbane Rookie

Aug 7, 2015
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm on Instagram and love looking at the cars of collectors like this guy. There are some real gents out there, like Kris Singh (Lamborghiniks), who's commentary around them is just superb. I've enjoyed the delivery anticipation of his new Pagani, Macchina Volante, almost as much as he has lol, and he's humble, respectful and knowledgeable around all cars and makes, although not a huge Ferrari fan. Then there's David Lee, a guy with a beautiful collection bought with slabs of cash and very little passion, it would seem. What's more, he takes every opportunity to big himself up about his achievements in business and elsewhere, that have allowed him to buy his beautiful collection. It would seem that, unlike most other collectors, he's inherited a family business and taken it further, but he's certainly not self-made which is what he may have a chip on his shoulder about, I think. I dared to comment as such, after a number of sickeningly self-indulgent posts and, low and behold, he blocks me lol. It would seem that money can buy a beautiful, enviable car collection, but it can't buy online humility, self-depreciation and class. Thoughts anyone?

3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
  4. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Including some tailor made and specialty cars (i.e. 70th anniversary F12).

Ferrari really screwed this one up. David Lee is one of the classiest and most popular brand ambassadors out there. He sold most of his cars from other marques and despite all of the vintage cars and modern cars he owns, they wouldn't sell him an Aperta? Huge mistake, in my opinion.

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Preston wasn't defamed either. But filing the lawsuit was certainly a classy, mature note to end his long life on.

6. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Take a look at the other thread just by this one for everyone else's !

7. pbvinn

pbvinn Rookie

Apr 10, 2016
    His online persona is cringe worthy. It's pretty embarrassing for a grown man to be so thirsty for attention. Also, does he really think that article is going to help improve his standing with Ferrari? Seems counter productive.

8. Brisbane

Brisbane Rookie

Aug 7, 2015
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Paul
    +1. Cringeworthy is the perfect description of this guy. Bravo Ferrari for agreeing with me 😊

9. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    #34 ypsilon, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    My thoughts are that your post is a little awkward and unnecessary.

Whether or not David Lee and/or anyone else is self made or not is totally irrelevant.

The key is does one have a passion for Ferrari, how one expresses that is secondary.

10. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    It sounds like you decided you don't like the guy, and rather than just ignore him you figured you'd call him out and pick a fight??!! If I were David Lee I'd block you too, rather than get into the argument you wanted.

11. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

Little passion? Based on what?

12. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    He seems like he's passionate about the brand but also pretty heavily into the attention it gets him, which is fine. These cars draw attention. Some people just deal with it, some people hate it, and some people thrive on it. DL seems to be in the latter camp.

I remember when I was a kid and finally got my Dad into Ferraris, he went to an FOC event with a friend, and came home totally turned off. His only take away was "All any of those people wanted to talk about was how much money they spent on their cars". I had to spend months getting him to get past that!

I think David Lee is one of those guys who likes to talk about his money and the value of his cars, for better or worse. Funnily, Jay Leno, who he seems to have great respect for, seems to be totally the opposite, and rarely mentions dollar amounts in relation to classic cars, at least on his youtube show. Different strokes.

13. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Seriously?

14. Brisbane

Brisbane Rookie

Aug 7, 2015
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Not at all Gordon, I just grew tired of his sanctimonious nonsense whilst admiring his beautiful cars, so commented such. I would so like to like his online persona, in fact. Cars to him aren't a passion, they're a status symbol and his Insta account uses them as a lure to attract followers to fuel his huge ego, in my opinion, if I'm allowed one? I don't think he has any interest in aesthetic auto beauty, nor engineering brilliance, just what his cars make people feel about him.

What does the "C" stand for, by the way?

15. Brisbane

Brisbane Rookie

Aug 7, 2015
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, why? Aren't new blokes allowed to express an opinion on your forum?

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #41 paulchua, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2017
    He is attention seeking, but I don't see that as ******bagery, unless he's pissing on others in the process. Let's face it, many Ferrari owners (especially celebrities) are and have been attention seeking. David Lee owns quite a few assets, being 'known" and creating larger then life persona is proftiable: look no further the the current US president, or other Ferrari owners like Robert Herjavek and Gordon Ramsey.

Of course, all I can go by is this L.A. times article and 2 Jay Leno's garage episodes. There might be something out there that showed David Lee in reality doest care much about Ferrari beyond self promotion, would love to know more why you think Lee is closer to a Kim Kardashian and less say a Adam Corolla.

17. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    My problem with him is the constant referring to the cars as investments and how much he's made on them. While that may be reality, it shows where his head Is at rather than these things being a labor and pursuit of love. Still don't think he's as bad as the Manny Khoshbin guy or many of the other Instagram fame chasers

18. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I think Ferrari didn't sale him the car because he bought his La Ferrari from a guy who wasn't suppose to sell it for 18 months

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

19. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Is Manny Khoshbin the guy who owns the Huayra Hermes edition? What's the bad about him?

20. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Have you seen his Instagram? Lol there's another cringeworthy guy.

21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I don't follow any of his social media or attended any of his C&Cs, is that where he constantly reminds everybody of how much he made collecting Ferrari?

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Would be my bet, if you ain't gonna play by the rules...

23. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How is that the buyer's fault? The seller is the one that should be black listed.

24. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Νο, it has not happened so far..

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    based on that L.A. Times article it sounds like he colluded with the seller to go around the rules.

I know there is a lot of complaints about Ferrari's 'selection' process. There are pro and cons.

The biggest con, of course, is you lose customers that are just fed up with waiting and being told they can't buy a car at *any* price.

However, the biggest pro - is the mystique and exclusivity that selection process creates. There is no doubt in my mind, that for some money no object folks (not all of course) - the fact that you many are told 'no' in itself is a major selling point.

Are these folks 'real' enthusiasts then? Or simply art collectors/speculators?

Who am I to judge? It's not my money they choose to spend (or not) and it's no skin off my back.