Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread. | Page 29 | FerrariChat

Rock 'n Stroll . . . The Stroller Thread.

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifoso2728, Mar 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm not, though I agree it does read that way. Schumacher/Senna/Max all got in the car and from day 1 where competitive. I've not seen Max look out of his depth one day. He had far less preparation than Stroll.

Stroll from day 1 has looked completely out his depth, shown zero improvement. Should we compare him to Max? Well he is the nearest yard stick, age wise...But lets take another driver. Ocon. Also got thrown in suddenly last year and didn't look out of his depth. More or less matching Wehrlein (who Mercedes was grooming for an upgrade). He's now at Force India, and been very impressive, staying in touch with a talented and super consistent Perez.

I would've forgiven Stroll not getting up to speed immediately, but we're a third into the season and he's still qualifying 1.4 seconds away from Massa. Hardly Vettel/Alonso etc.

2. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    I just hope he doesn't do what Ricardo Rodrigues did on his home track.

3. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    PS Stroll blames tire strategy for not getting through to Q2...

Erm...wasn't he on Ultrasoft like everyone else (bar Ferrari)?

4. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Jacques an exceptional talent? Don't make me laugh...almost managed to lose the title in a class of the field (by FAR) Williams :D. His dad was, good old Gilles...now THERE'S a talent!

Don't disagree there, if you don't have talent you can't benefit from it. Have you been watching the F3 when he was racing? Wasn't exactly steamrolling the competition was he?

Time? He's had a HUGE amount of time in the hybrid F1 cars already, the amount of seat time he's had makes him more experienced than any of the guys that came into F1 in 2015 already. You can't just make up a 1.5 seconds deficit to a so-so (post crash) teammate. 1.5 seconds in F1 is HUUUUUGE.

As for being a nice, honest boy...well he is Canadian isn't he? I'd call him a fraud if he wasn't nice and honest;)! However, being a nice and honest kid has **** all to do with being an F1 driver, it doesn't determine your talent or lack of it.
    Why must we give him slack then? He came as best prepared as he could've and he sucks (save the ''he'll run rings round you!'' comment for someone else, I'm not in F1, but 19 other guys are, and those we are comparing him to).

Not sure what the medicine wunderkind has to do with this conversation, I'm pretty sure that kid got in on merit, not because his Billionaire daddy wanted him to be a doctor.

Eh? Juan P? He did alright didn't he? 3rd F1 race he was on course for a win already if he wasn't taken out by Verstappen...meanwhile Stroller is 7 races in and is yet to score a point, whilst he is in a car that's easily 4th to 5th (pending on track) challenging.

On the other end of the scale, 21 year old Kimi Raikkonen came to F1 and brought with him a huge amount of negative views from drivers, FIA heads and so on. Too young, they said...and no experience! He only did 23 car races in total (not weekends...actual races! half a current f3 season!). He scored points in his first race, remember back then only 1st to 6th got points...!

Wanna bet? :D

Nothing wrong with supporting one from your home country, but lets be fair here...this is a thread specifically designated to discuss the performance of young Stroller, and whichever way you look at it, it's not going down well!

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Stroll is actually lucky Bottas moved to Mercedes. I think most of us would agree Bottas is better than Massa.

The difference between the two would be even greater. It must be really embarrassing to see your partner in identical machinery go so much more faster than you week after week.

6. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Not a chance. He doesn't have what it takes.

7. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I am confident that Lance will be a top F1 driver in the future. If not, certainly not the worst.

Yes, we are spoiled here in Québec and I will not let down Lance. I believe he will perform very well in the future.[/QUOTE]

Nope.

If it came down to opportunity and backing, sure. He'd be World Champion. But, driver skill comes into play and he's over his head.

8. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    I stand my point. He almost won the title the first year against Damon Hill ... Unfortunately, Jacques choose money instead of better statistics when he switched for the BAR adventure ...

Gilles, one of the greatest ever ...

You have been watching F3? Tell me more ... IMO, a win is a win, you don't have to take risks when you lead ... Lance seems to be an intelligent driver ...

Can you prove what you are inferring? So, according to what you say, Lance should be crushing everybody in F1 and bringing outstanding results now? You are a bit precocious IMO. Is it the same with women? :)

Patience! He has the chance to come in F1 so young. One day it will pay ...

Lol! Not every Canadian are nice and honest! Nice stereotype we have though! You missed the point here, I was not so nice about Schumacher ...

Yes we must give him slack, he is young and if there is something to criticize, it is whether or not he got a F1 seat too early; IMO, his father is not a fool and he knows what he is doing - also, if they can afford to get him a F1 seat now and Williams is willing to take a chance with that, why not?

The medicine analogy? Easy, he is exceptionally young to come in F1, we must support him and being tolerant and patient ... He has been accepted in the Faculty of Medicine and he is not failing ( he can qualify and run an entire race ). Let's give him the chance to adapt and to succeed instead of putting him down.

But this is where, some people are having a hard time accepting it because it somehow removes the merit factor of being in F1 and it is associated with the indecency of being rich and able to get everything you want ...

Reality is much more complex than that ...

JPM had a better car and more experience in top series ( CART ( two years ) and F1 as test driver ... ). Stroll is making a brutal transition from F3 to F1. Give him 1 or 2 years ... Apples with apples.

Good for him! Thanks to Villeneuve, Schumacher, Häkkinen, Trulli, Montoya and Button not finishing the race ...

In F1, there is also luck involved and we cannot hope that everything will be identical ... Only time will tell ...

How much? :)

I cannot say that I am totally sure about Lance but I choose to believe. Maybe I will be right maybe wrong, but actually it is too soon to conclude ...

We'll see ... I am patient, like Williams and a lot of competent people in the F1 and in the racing world ...

How can you be so sure? Lots of people crucified Maurice Richard during his first years with les Canadiens de Montréal ...

If he doesn't have what it takes i will have no problem admitting it, but actually, it is too soon to reach such conclusions.

9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think you are correct here.

His entourage did young Stroll a disservice by rushing him too early in F1.

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

LOL

11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
  12. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Good job Stroll. Points in your home race. Sure, there was attrition. But he kept it on the road and made clean passes.

13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Agreed. Solid performance

14. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Stroller FINALLY had a good race and pts. He was literally fighting that car though from the cockpit cam.

15. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    ��

Congrats on a solid home race.

16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Lance Stroll ,good job!

17. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    +18
    Bravo, Lance!

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Agreed. He drove well and even looked a bit racy at times.

19. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Stroll looked F1 worthy today.

It would have been nice if Massa had finished to put some context on Lance's drive. But regardless,… Well done.

20. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Maybe now that he's gotten his first points, he'll be more confident and collected going forward?

All the best,
    Andrew.

21. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

He needs to be.....we shall see soon. He drove well today.!

22. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    Bravo Lance, ce n'est qu'un début.

Patience. Let's enjoy what we are witnessing, in a couple of years we might be amazed ...

Is Montréal a turning point ? I wish it is ...

23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Didn't most people behind him get a penalty or some other costly issues?

24. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Stroll sucks

25. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name: