silly question...small coolant puddle under starter... | FerrariChat

silly question...small coolant puddle under starter...

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by bpu699, Jun 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Weird. Just found a small puddle of coolant under the starter. Looks to be coming from the large through-bolt there? About a tea spoons worth...

Other than removing the nut, applying some silicone and retightening, anything else to look for?

Could it be coming from one of the small access covers that run along the block?

Thanks

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what car?
    a BB or a TR?
    at my BB I also have soemtimes this problem but it is coming from the cap of the expansion tank

4. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Its a testarossa...

The top of the motor is webbed.. I would think that a head gasket leak would be where the heads join the case, and that area is spotless. There is a webbed area there, and its clean as can be...

I was thinking it could be a hose leak, as I just did the major, and wouldn't be surprised if something wasn't tight enough... But all the webbed areas up front seem dry, though I didn't look closely...

But oddly, its just that one webbed area. All the other around it are bone dry... Will try to take a picture later today...

5. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    #5 bpu699, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here a pic (not mine) to illustrate the webbing. For fluid to leak from the head/case seam it would have to fill the first web first, then overflow into the web next to the starter...

Does that make sense? First web, is bone dry...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    Possibly your expansion tank has rusted a bit and has a pin hole leak.

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Understand what you are saying, but coolant can leak along edges and then pool elsewhere. The standard diagnostic technique would be to pressurize the system when cold using something like the Stant 12270 hand pump that attaches to the expansion tank filler neck -- and then watch the shower ;)

8. Total Recall

Total Recall Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    I had a similar thing with a leak that pooled in various areas / sections on top of the engine.

Turned out to be one of those water hose junction gaskets on the heads for me too.

Not that easy to get to without removing a bit of stuff but better than it being the headgasket!

Was a bit scary undoing the 3 nuts on the studs as I seem to remember the studs feeling quite flimsy like they wanted to snap and the leak over time had rusted them too.

A bit of work for the sake of a few £/$/euro gasket but a good excuse to clean everything up and check injector lines etc.

Hope it`s an easy fix :)

Dom.

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 - the photo that bo posted is actually my TR engine after I realized that I had to completely remove the intake manifolds to get those 90 deg coolant elbows off the heads - not a good design for serviceability.

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what is good at a F for serviceability?
    ok some things are ok, but mostly it is not:(

11. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Haven't had a chance to run the car this weekend, will post more when I do... suspect its from the front and just meandered back...