Windstopper Pin Removal | FerrariChat

Windstopper Pin Removal

Discussion in '360/430' started by Fort Worth 360, Feb 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fort Worth 360

Fort Worth 360 Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort worth Texas
    #1 Fort Worth 360, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Working through the details on bringing my new to me 07 spider back to life. On the list of items to address is the removal of the broken off pins from the apparent harsh departure of the wind stop that is between the roll bars. Some knucklehead seemed to think that breaking it off rather than just removing it classified as disassembly!

I have looked at the line drawings on Ricambi and I am not clear as to how to remove the remaining stubs. I have tried trying to grab them with a pair of pliers but not sure if they detents that hold them in securely that I have to overcome to get them out. See picture.

Any firsthand info on how these guys come out would be helpful. I am thinking i may have to drill a pilot hole to get a screw inserted so i can get a better bite.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. fuoco

fuoco Rookie

Feb 21, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    Go careful, I had exactly the same issue and my mate took on the task of drilling a small pilot hole the drill bit snapped and drill damaged the paintwork. So now I am looking for viable options to get to the broken stud from under. If you view online videos of when timing belts are done, seats and firewall carpets are removed, it may then be possible to get at them from under. Once my car comes out of winter slumber I'm going to try this and post some pictures. Have you managed to have any success since your post?

3. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    Is it a pin or is it threaded?... if threaded....Do you have a Dremel tool? Attach a small cutoff wheel and CAREFULLY cut a slot on its head. Then use a straight-slot screwdriver to back it out.

I suppose if ya don't have a Dremel then chances are ya don't have a MIG welder either cuz it would be needed for my next recommendation to tack a 16p nail to the stub.

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

It's a pin, not threaded.

5. fuoco

fuoco Rookie

Feb 21, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    It is a pin and not threaded quite right but stuck really well and you really can't get any grip on the broken part if its broken nearly level with the recess.

6. Jkalimtzis

Jkalimtzis Rookie

Oct 4, 2013
    Center Valley, PA
    Full Name:
    John Kalimtzis
    Superglue another piece of plastic to the broken pin. When the glue dries, pull both out. Be careful of how much glue you use.

7. fuoco

fuoco Rookie

Feb 21, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    The broken part is so stuck in the there that broke the pin, and we tried all types of long nose pliers and grips nothing gets past the body work safely with enough grip to extract. Warning to all just don't remove your windstop the trouble if it breaks is so much.

8. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    They should just pull out...

9. HIO Silver

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    Drill baby, drill.

10. fuoco

fuoco Rookie

Feb 21, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    drilled 3 times, that pin is so tough 3 drill bits broke and remaining sharp end left in drill went sideways and damaged paintwork, my conclusion is to get at it from below but really no access even after removing storage tray. Spoke with a Ferrari tech and he said don't try dismantling that area it was not designed to be done easily. So here is a challenge to our community...Help

11. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    Thinking outside the box - maybe try freezing the pin using dry ice. I'd first tape the surrounding area to protect the paint, etc. Put a small piece of dry ice on the pin for maybe 10-15 minutes. As it freezes it just may shrink enough to allow extraction. Worth a try.

We do the opposite in aircraft repairs to plug a hole. We remove a round slug of aluminum that is in liquid nitrogen, put it in the hole and when it thaws it swells and plugs the hole.

12. HIO Silver

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    Ah jeez... ya didn't tape off the area with layers of cardboard?

If ya broke bits, then it's hardened tool steel or crappy bits.

Try cyanoacrylate (super glue) and a box nail.. glue the head to the pin let it set until cured. Then apply some PB Blaster (or equivalent penetrant) and holefuppy is lets go.

13. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have the acrylic/plastic version on mine and it's simply held in by snap rings on the end of the pins, so I can't see that drilling will achieve anything because the pin will just rotate. It needs a little puller on it.

14. Dougster

Dougster Karting

Feb 28, 2013
    Dallas TX Area
    Might need to make a jig to keep the drill bit from wandering.

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    This is awesome.

16. JoeyBear

JoeyBear Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 31, 2016
    A forest near you
    Full Name:
    The JoeyBear
    Grab really hard with pliers and Yyyyyyaaaaannnnnkkkk super hard!!!!!

And put the pliers in dry ice for 15 minutes first!!!!

17. fuoco

fuoco Rookie

Feb 21, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    We did tape off the area with 2 layers of Cardboard but the broken bit was so sharp it went through board, We were using quite a small drill bit to get our pilot hole but flexed and broke on 2 bits, but I like you idea I think once out of storage I will try this.

18. fuoco

fuoco Rookie

Feb 21, 2013
    Surrey, UK
    This makes sense, would love to try this probably be the easiest solution