WARNING: problem with TRE and Scott Guilder | FerrariChat

WARNING: problem with TRE and Scott Guilder

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by MrOrganic, Dec 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MrOrganic

MrOrganic Karting

Jun 28, 2013
    Hermosa Beach,Ca
    Full Name:
    R
    I'm at a complete loss for how absurd this situation is. My 1972 V8 Porsche 911 convertible was sent to TRE MOTORSPORTS for some restoration work. I dealt with DAVID Bouzaglou there. Unbeknownst to me, TRE motorsports out-sources some of their work to a private restorer, SCOTT GUILDNER. This dude took the car from them here in CA, claimed he had the right to a mechanic's lien and TOOK MY CAR TO THE STATE OF WASHINGTON. He has it listed online in auction...says I need to pay him storage fees to get my car back.... I NEVER AUTHORIZED HIM TO EVEN HAVE MY CAR, DO ANY REPAIRS, OR STORE IT! Absolutely outrageous. After doing a little research, come to find out SCOTT GUILDNER (now of www.segporsche.com) HAD a different auto body shop and got his business license REVOKED by the state of CA in 2007 ... so he's working without a license AND running a registration fraud scam. More than enough evidence against him....pursuing civil and possibly criminal litigation...but wanted to send a warning out to the rest of you! DO NOT TRUST SCOTT GUILDNER with your vehicle! AND shame on TRE MOTORSPORTS for out sourcing what they were paid to do....and to such a shady person!

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #2 Rifledriver, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    In the State of California the Bureau of Automotive Repair requires all repair shops to be licensed and requires all licensed shops to inform you if a subcontractor will be performing work on your car. I would file a claim with BAR ASAP against TRE. I would also investigate if the State Of Washington has a similar agency and get in touch with them.

I looked them up on the BAR website and he is licensed as TRE Automotive.

I suspect under California regulations TRE is liable for whatever happens.

3. Prugna

Prugna Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Unites States
    Slam dunk with BAR

4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Quick question. SEG is in Northridge CA, any idea why he took your car back to Washington?

Seems strange, not that this whole situation isn't, but best of luck and I hope if this gentleman indeed did what he did, both TRE and SEG are held both liable, and prosecuted to the highest extent.

People who take advantage of other people are the lowest quality of human being.

5. hansw

hansw Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Hans J Weber
    1972 Porsche V8 911? Sounds like a highly modified car. 911s have only come with flat 6s so far.

6. MrOrganic

MrOrganic Karting

Jun 28, 2013
    Hermosa Beach,Ca
    Full Name:
    R
    3500GT

TRE motorsports "subcontracted" the 3rd step in the restoration WITHOUT my authorization!!

SEGporsche (no auto license since 07') was the subcontractor & the one that put my car in a washington auction.

Lucky Collector Car Auctions | Lot 063 ? 1972 Porsche 911 V8

HANSW
    It is a custom job. There is a small niche of people who put v8's in porsches.

I always wanted one.

:)

7. MrOrganic

MrOrganic Karting

Jun 28, 2013
    Hermosa Beach,Ca
    Full Name:
    R
    agreed

thanx
    Rifle

8. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    This is a slam dunk BAR case. File it immediately and my inclination is that TRE is fully liable for the vehicle and any damages.

I've used the BAR service to help resolve an issue before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. david1175

david1175 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    in the doghouse
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm sure TRE had to post some sort of bond (like a car dealer) to be licensed in CA? If this is the case, GO AFTER TRE's BOND, you will be much further ahead than battling out in court.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Nope.

11. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Yes, very rare indeed. Additionally, wondering why this is posted in the Nor Cal section if the theft (and that's what it looks like to me) occurred in So Cal and the car is now in WA? I would contact the FBI because the stolen property was transported across state lines.

12. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    did you contact TRE to get his side of the story? Seems like that should be the first step. Also seems like he should be responsible for paying the subcontractor.

13. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    +1

TRE can play a major role to the resolution of this.

14. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thank you Hans. That is both informative (911's have flat 6s???...What???) and relative to the topic.

Yes, TRE has some explaining to do. Wishing you the best of luck and let us know if there's anyway we can actually do to help.

15. 2thmvr

2thmvr Karting

Feb 24, 2008
    Huntington Beach
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I've had TRE work on my early 911's for the past 10 years and I find them to be very knowledgeable and have only had good experiences. Dave is very ethical and reasonable.

There must be more to this story.

Monteman likes this.
  16. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    Very strange story. There are a number of people in So Cal that do/did V8 conversions on 914s and 911s. Many great body shops, interior shops, in So Cal also. But having said that, how and why did the car leave the hands of TRE and end up in Washington state with another shop and without your knowledge? If you truly didn't know the car was going to be shipped to Washington, TRE has a lot of 'splanin to do.

17. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    So a rant like this and not a single peep for three weeks. Doesn't reflect well on our OP MrOrganic's credibility.

18. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    any reason given for the mechanics lien?

19. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    I am sure David would have some type of explanation for you. Have done ton's of business with him and he is very reputable in the Porsche community ..Let us know what his response to this was.

20. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Moderators please contact TRECUP on Fchat

21. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Here's the other side of the story from someone connected to Scott:
    "the owner of TRE in Van Nuys brought that Porsche to my husband’s shop and told us not to work on it for a while because he cannot get a hold of the owner of this Porsche then two years passed and my husband wanted to get rid of the car then the owner of TRE, Dave told him that the owner has disappeared and cannot be found so have that vehicle instead of charging storage for two year. The car was a very junky situation anyway and my husband needed space for work so he was trying to get rid of it by the order of TRE, Dave. And also the sale ad in Washington State was some ad before this person even owned this car; my husband never did anything about it. We really don’t know exact conversation between this person and TRE, Dave but because the car was at my husband’s shop and didn’t want to release without getting storage fee"

I am not endorsing any side, just communicating the information I have been given. Since the fault of this matter could fall on any of the parties involved, I am going to change the title of the thread.