Break the World Record with Ferrari! Saturday December 3, 2016 at Daytona. | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Break the World Record with Ferrari! Saturday December 3, 2016 at Daytona.

Discussion in 'Florida' started by FerrariMaseratiFL, Oct 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Comisserations.. or is it? I'm sure all enjoyed it and had a great time doing it. That's better then any GWR :)

I was kind of hoping you would beat the current GWR. We may well have had another bash here. I enjoyed the day immensely.

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Oh well, too bad about the record.

Think that if it had in fact been broken, there would have been wide announcements
    made almost immediately. But, as Sunday came and went with little to no word, it was
    beginning to look less likely that it was successful.

I'm sure we all came away from it with great memories anyway. And, if my sore left
    foot (from holding down clutch) is any indication, perhaps a few physical reminders as
    well, ha!

BHW

3. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
  4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #129 BartonWorkman, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    View from the Mondial Cabriolet facing down home straight, the stands brimming
    over with 100,000+ fans all cheering the little grey convertible that could and its driver
    who's always considered Daytona his "Second Home Track" on to victory.

It was about this time, Luc Grondin's lovely daughter, Lydia, was in the passenger seat
    happily chatting away and suddenly went quiet. I looked over and she was sound asleep
    in the middle of all this intense action.

BHW
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    my 348TS finished no problem and no issues!!

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I drove the car home to Atlanta today with no problems, so obviously the abuse it took during the record attempt was not problematic. And it did rain part of the way, and that was no problem, either.

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Excellent!

The cars I was worried about where the big classic V12s. There was a lovely yellow 356 GTC/4
    two or three rows behind us and knowing the nature of these cars overheating when having
    to sit still for long periods of time could be a problem. But, they seemed to solider on with no issues.

My temps started climbing even before we got out of the staging area and came close to
    pegging on full hot but fortunately, things got going just in time to bring the temps back down.

Interesting to read about issues the modern electronic cars had with the banking.

BHW

8. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hey if anyone has a set of the decals they put on the side of the cars available, I'd love to have a set for my collection. I am happy to pay for them or trade for a Prova Plate! I have event roundels from all kinds of events. PM me please thank you.

9. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    Marcel I know you dont like rebodies etc (and understand your reasoning) but its still a Ferrari, so I dont get why you feel it shouldnt have participated in the record attempt ?

10. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Me too, just one decal will do.
    Alden

11. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Happy to donate mine, provided I can peel them off without stretching or warping them.

There are three, one on each door and one on the hood. If you guys are willing to share, Mitch, I can drop off two on my next trip to Atlanta, and Alden, you can peel one off at Cars and Coffee next week.

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Sometimes I wonder how original some of the bodies on the vintage Fcars are even if they visually match what came out of the factory. I'm sure on the rebody car at Daytona there may be more original Ferrari parts than other "real" Fcars that were built up from scratch to spec aside from the chassis and engine...

13. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hiya Paul, that is a very generous offer!! Thank you so much, more than happy to share!! I've got a Prova Plate set aside for you! :)

14. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
  15. izaacbrook

izaacbrook Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Izaac Brook
    While it's a pity that the record was not broken, the experience was still absolutely incredible. Huge thanks to the man who so generously tossed a friend and I the keys to his 16M and CS for the attempt.

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Frankly, how would it be possible to have gotten another 155 cars on the track?

As it was, we were all nose to tail, two wide all the way around the 3.84 mile circuit.

Something like this would be much easier at Silverstone as it is wide with its WWII era
    runway straights and so its logical that they could go around three wide there the entire
    lap.

Still, it was an experience though and a great reunion.

BHW

17. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Don't want to sound like a smart a--, but the math says Daytona should have been able to accommodate 1000 cars: 3.56 miles x 5280 = 18,797 feet of total length. At two cars alongside each other, that would mean 18,797 feet/500 cars = 37.6 feet per car. Problem was how to feed all the cars at a safe and steady rate at that spacing to minimize accordion effects throughout. The lack of information on how everything was going to be organized from a safety point of view kept me from that attempt, and possibly some others? But glad that the event was still epic.

18. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    MUCH BETTER!!!!!

19. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I don't get the attraction to driving slow at Daytona Speedway

It's like going to strip club then putting blinders on LOL

20. tikitiki

tikitiki Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2014
    Windermere, Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I guess it's all about the feel.

21. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Lol, it's about them trying to break the record for Ferrari's on track. How do you propose they get 1,000 cars on the track to go fast all at once? :)

22. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'd rather be doing 190mph on the banking :)

23. tikitiki

tikitiki Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2014
    Windermere, Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You're 100% correct, There were plenty of room. The issue was trying to wrangle 100 type A personalities to come together. Any video you watch you'll see a huge gap between cars, much more than a car length for sure.

24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Possibly, but that was if everyone stayed on the prescribed line, wasn't distracted by
    one thing or another and anything else that may have happened.

I had a 458 Spider (brown with strange stripes painted on) next to me and he was doing
    a slalom on the banking. Once or twice, maybe okay, but he kept doing it and it caused
    an accordian effect behind him as everyone in that line had to slow up or stop so he could
    get back in line; this wasn't helping.

I saw at least two or three cars take off on the banking and disappear around the corner
    flat out which had they listened in the pre-event brief was strictly forbidden.

With 845 cars, plus the others which were on display and the various racing cars in
    attendance, can this event not be called the largest gathering of Ferraris ever in the
    U.S. or at the very least, Florida?

The organizers of the event must be commended as the logistics of this whole thing must
    have been enormous.

BHW

25. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I tell people there were 1000 Ferraris there, which I think is a fair estimate of the total. I seem to remember an FCA annual meet at Laguna Seca (before I owned a car and was a member) where a total of 1000 Ferraris onsite was mentioned, but I never saw that confirmed.