Gary Sharpe engine fiasco | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Gary Sharpe engine fiasco

Discussion in '348/355' started by F355Bob, Nov 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    My dear mother told me I invented dirt. :D

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Happens here every day. Someone posts a few pretty pictures of some engine parts and everyone piles on and compliments them on their wonderful work. I do it for a living and cannot tell from a few staged photos what is good and bad work.

3. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #53 Rifledriver, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    The honing looks terrible but this is no way to diagnose your problems. Diagnose first, take apart later. It is best done on a motor that is still capable of running. With the cylinder sealing capability of modern rings 8-10% is not great but no reason on it's own to take a motor apart. Stop now and try and figure out what you have going on. I think the oil pump scenario is a real reach. Dry sump systems have so much scavenge capacity it is hard to buy even if it was a plausible scenario. Witch hunts like you have embarked on cost a lot and do not usually end in a satisfactory conclusion.

From the pictures I strongly suspect you'll find OE pistons with new rings and OE liners that were honed, poorly, probably without ever even being removed.

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I got a lot of phone calls and PM's but never expressed an opinion here.

Lots of good, established shops around the country with well earned reputations that are respected by their peers. Never understand why people jump on the band wagon of someone who appeared out of nowhere and receive the internet 72 hours of experience seal of perfection.

5. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Update. For those of you are saying why are you taking the engine apart? 4 of the piston oilers were broken and laying in the bottom of the pan. One other oiler was bent in the wrong direction. #5 rod was close to spinning the bearing. When removing the nuts of the rods they were almost galling. Mechanic thought they were not assembled with the correct lube. That is why the engine was taken apart. I will post some pics shortly

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Those are not oilers. They are piston coolers. The rod bearings supply the lubrication quite well on their own.

7. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Sorry I meant coolers. The mechanic said they were coolers I misspoke and called they oilers.

8. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

#59 F355Bob, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    These are the pieces laying in the bottom of the sump. The nosil hole 8 thousand. With the nosil broken which 5 were, the hole is now 80 thousand. 8 times as much oil spray in the cylinder, and the rings can't handle it and piston tops full of oil. Sharpe Pistons have longer skirts. Assuming when he installed them, they hit the sprayers, bent them towards crank which rubbed against them and they broke the nosils. We also think this is why I would show low oil pressure at idle.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    With the nozzles broken the oil spray was no longer directed at the bottoms of the pistons, so I'm not sure I buy the theory that this is what caused the smoking on startup. After all, oil is constantly being sprayed from those nozzles, so if it was getting past the rings it'd be doing so the entire time the engine was running and not just at startup.

The theory that the broken nozzles led to low oil pressure at idle seems like a valid one though.

10. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Can Nikasil cylinders be honed? I understand that the Nikasil coating is only about 0.05 mm (0.002 in) thick.

11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Have no experience of ferrari but on a ns400r motorcycle they can get a light ball hone but if they have any damage then they could not.

We used to give them a light hone and replac rings each season when racing

Again mo idea on ferraris.

12. Jh348

Jh348 Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Jesse Heinola
    Personally havent seen a ferrari squirter, but often theres a valve that opens in certain pressure. As u dont really need to cool pistons at idle

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    With the correct hone, yes. But with the wrong hone all that happens is it screws up the surface as in the picture.

And yes, the hardened surface is quite thin and why those cylinders are considered worn out with very little wear.

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The old bugger is getting a bit of a hard time on here, be fair now

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    And long may you continue to enjoy the retirement mate, i much prefer it to 12 hour week on, week off shifts

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    1st time i have seen this on a car engine but the big 520 mm diameter diesel pistons we had used this system. 2 sprayers per piston and they used to have seperate filters but off the main oil gallery.

17. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Agreed. Looks like the new pistons probably broke the nozzles a long time ago and that is a likely cause of lower oil pressure. Since you can surmise that the pistons didn't recently break the nozzles you can also conclude that the recent "smoking at startup" is being caused by something else.

The mystery still remains how oil got on top of the piston after shutdown. That just seems more likely to be a head issue than anything else. It would have been interesting to see some pictures of the heads.

18. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    No, Nikasil is not to be honed.

Nikasil is more like a dozen microns thick than a thou.

19. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
  20. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Excellent point. Some squirters do indeed have check valves, although I think that the main purpose is to prevent draindown. I wonder what "low idle oil pressure" means in this case. I can easily see a case where the check valves (assuming they're present) are overcome but at the same time the orifice size of the broken squirters means that the oil supply is compromised in other areas.

21. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
  22. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I've used Flex hone before in the industrial world - good stuff.

The picture I posted shows the cross hatch marks which I believe are OEM as I don't have any evidence that the bottom end of my motor had been torn down prior.

23. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Bob is the flow not proportional to the square of the area so 8 would be 64 and 80 would be 6400 so the flow would be 100 times more if pressure was same?

Been 30 years since school so maybe I am out too lunch.

24. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    That's right (good memory).