Pair of '81 308's anyone? | FerrariChat

Pair of '81 308's anyone?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Jdubbya, Oct 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
  2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I discovered the 308 in 81 when I was 13. I thought they were so unbelievable, like they weren't even real and at $50,000 - $60,000 I knew no one that could even come close to buying one. I didn't know a single soul who had that kind of money. They cost more than the house I lived in.

So at some point in 1981 imagine a couple of people, likely very very successful. They had achieved a status in life that found them in a position to be able to locate a Ferrari dealership and purchase one of those beautiful automobiles. It is likely that had to leave town to find one and when they brought it back home, I bet it was just something else to be them. No more anonymity while in that ultra rare Italian race car. NOTHING else on the road back then looked like them. Gorgeous. A conversation at every fillup with someone that wished they could be them for a little while just to be able to get behind that wheel. Probably 90% of the people that would see it when they had it out never saw one in the flesh before, only once a week on TV and most went home and told someone, "I saw a Ferrari today!" with a big fat smile on their faces. Some, like me, took pictures even as they drove away.

Once upon a time they were rare and exquisite machinery imported from northern Italy and sat proudly on the showroom floor in one of but a handful of Ferrari dealerships across this entire country waiting to be taken home by only the privileged in our society. And today somehow, someway, they are just two pieces of **** now waiting to be drug off on a trailer by someone willing to try to get them running again without losing too much of their ass in the process.

WTF happened between 1981 and 2016 to those two poor little once proud king of the road 308's???

3. tomd308

tomd308 Karting

Jun 10, 2006
    gainesville florida
    Full Name:
    thomas dukas
    Don't buy the red one it's ruined.Been sitting out in the rain.

4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    One too many zeroes on the price

5. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Nicely said Doc! It is sad to see.

I wonder if they both haven't been. The gray one is wet and on rollers like they just rolled it in from outside. That would seriously worry me. They could have been moving them around too, you never know?!?

As for the price, yeah I think it's optimistic and what I should have said is if someone can get them for less they might work out ok.

6. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Now your being even more optimistic than the seller!! :) I doubt those days will ever be back.

7. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Believe the red one has a Saratoga top.

And aftermarket Wheels.

8. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Damn..

And a Superbird behind the grey one.... sweet!!

Just think.... 10 years ago they might have gone for $10k a piece.....

9. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I think the reflection on the top is just rain. They are not great value as you can find fairly nice driver GTSi's for around $55-60k and getting these to that level will cost as much or more in the long run. He'll probably easily get $60k though from the European flippers.

10. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Your probably right.. I use to live in The Renton area quite a few years ago.
    I'm sure Beverly Hills Car Chumps will be all over these in no time. Any F-Chatters in the Seattle area care to take a look and report back? I'm not in the market for a 3rd. 308 but Curiosity is high. :)

11. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I very much doubt that. They don't look at all flippable to me.

12. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I heard a lot of BHCC cars go to Europe, get a clean and a quick 'n dirty fix, then sold.

13. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yeah, maybe. You see a few poorer US cars over here but the one I bought this year was in superb shape except for some tired paint (it was flipped to me by an importing dealer). It's pretty easy to spot q&d fixes vs long term great custodianship but I guess newcomers unwise to the signs may get fingers burnt. I'd hope these two don't follow that route.

14. Mongo

Mongo Karting

Sep 8, 2005
    SF Bay, CA
    Well that is just plain sad. :(

I am curious to know what the history is on both cars. Clearly they have been neglected.

15. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Don't know the history..but here is the future. First guy that walks up with $25K and a tow truck wins!

16. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I seriously doubt that would happen. But you never know. The last car I missed out on was the GT4 that SammyB ended up with for pretty cheap. I think it ended up being a decent car especially for the price he paid for it.

If anyone is seriously interested in these cars I can see if I arrange to get a look at them. It's an hour plus trip for me to go see 'em so I won't waste my time or the seller's just for the heck of it or curiosities sake. But if someone wants an honest opinion let me know!!

17. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #17 Brian A, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Copycats filled road, that is what happened. It is the same reason why Three Stooges or Richard Pryor jokes are now so lame; they have been copied to the point of banality.

I disagree though about the 308 no longer being "special". Ever though the road is now filled with unusual (a rough synonym of "exotic") cars (Teslas, F-types, 911 GT3s), the 308 still causes a rolling carnival. Ever time I drive the darned car, I collect a gaggle of ooglers and tailgaters. In many ways it is the same liability it must have been in 1981.

18. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    HEY!! There's nothing lame about the Three Stooges, let's get that straight right now!