Unobtainable Service records | FerrariChat

Unobtainable Service records

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ra2008, Sep 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ra2008

ra2008 Rookie

Sep 9, 2016
    I have been trying to get service records on a 2005 f430 that I am looking to buy. I am amazed at how difficult this is. The car is being sold by a Ferrari dealer in the northeast and serviced in the past at a Ferrari dealer in California. The old dealer won't release to me and the current dealer/owner is telling me they can't even be released dealer to dealer. Is this a common experience? It just makes no sense to me.

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    A) drive/fly/take the train to Ca.
    B) schedule and take the service manager out to a lavish lunch
    C) presto service records become available.

rampante550 likes this.
  3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Easy fix, don't buy this 2005 430. :D

Find another one, plenty of them out there for sale. ;)

4. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Post the car's VIN here.

Someone might know something about it or who the previous owner was.

If you can get the contact info from the previous owner, that person can probably get the service docs from the dealer.

5. ra2008

ra2008 Rookie

Sep 9, 2016
    I was going to give up on this one but it just seems that the records should be no big deal to obtain. Unfortunately, that not the case. Anyway, I'll post vin below and if any info is available it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for the responses.

zFFEW59A950142255

6. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Occasionally a Carfax can give you a clue, I would ask the current dealer for a copy of it.
    It may reveal any red flags, or other places that have serviced the car.
    If you can get it for free it is another place they may help you to decide to move forward with the deal, and might reveal a clue to also walk away from it.
    I only use them to get a "feel" for the car at that moment.
    So sometimes helpful and sometimes not.

7. ra2008

ra2008 Rookie

Sep 9, 2016
    #7 ra2008, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Walk away. It is a buyer's market.
    Tell the dealer if he is unable to provide proper documentation there are plenty of alternatives. If they are unwilling to learn.......... they can find another victim.
    Many dealers get it, some still don't (yet). Some still have to learn how to sell a car.
    Fingers crossed for you, good luck.

Marcel Massini

Thomas Magnum likes this.
  9. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    +1

10. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I find it very hard to believe that a Ferrari dealer cannot get maint. records from Ferrari, for any work that was performed by any Ferrari dealer. Are they blaming it on computers by Marelli? ;>)

11. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    THIS ......
    If this individual says walk, I would walk.
    You are fairly new here with limited posts.
    If this man says walk, it is time to walk.

12. ra2008

ra2008 Rookie

Sep 9, 2016
    Finally heard from the original dealer. "records purged after 5 years". Will keep looking. Thanks for all of the advice.

rampante550 likes this.
  13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    agree

14. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Just another reason to do business with independents. I was able to get several years worth of service records for my '78 308 from Gary Bobileff way past 5 years after the work had been done.

On the other hand I can see shops not wanting to keep records forever too. But in this day and age when I'm sure all the dealers shops keep them electronically it should be easy to do if they wanted to.

15. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    If you like the color combo, options, price point whats the big deal? It's a fairly recent model with a lot more dependability than those of the past. In reality only the "last" service is the important one. If the model has known issues, recalls or quirks find out if they have been done or updated and go forth.

16. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    That is quite odd. Despite statements to the contrary, Ferrari dealers certainly can send service records to a current owner, with customer information redacted. They cannot share it otherwise. It is a case of finding the right sympathetic ear with the right approach. For my own car, I was searching for 1 16 year old service invoice this past spring, indicated on carfax. I was able to stumble into about 7 years worth of service records with the help of the service advisor.

17. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    The previous owner should have kept copies of the records. Everyone knows this. I think this is a new thing with Ferrari. They don't give out the old service records anymore. Or at least not as willingly or easily as in the past.

18. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Unless this is a screaming deal I would probably look elsewhere.

But you could always get a PPI and base your decision on it. Go with your gut.

19. RMRClub

RMRClub Rookie

Mar 7, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    I just traded a non Ferrari car in and offered the dealership all of my maintenance records, which by the way were incredibly complete. The dealership manager told me that if I gave him the records he would have to discard them, per corporate policy. (This dealership is extremely large). Apparently, this dealership always provided maintenance records to the new buyers but in one case the records were either bogus or in error. That resulted in a legal case against the dealership. As I understand the dealership won the case but now refuses to even consider taking records for any cars they take in on trade. I did tell the manager of the dealership if the new buyer wanted my records I would provide them. The manager told me that if I did to be extremely careful since my name and personal information would now available to the buyer of my old car, which might not lead to legal concerns but maybe numerous phone calls asking questions regarding the maintenance records.

That said, on my two Ferraris, all maintenance records were provided when I purchased the cars which were very helpful.

As I ramble on, I think records for a Ferrari are important. As mentioned above I would look for an other 430.
    Good Luck

20. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, I can see where someone unscrupulous trading in a car might omit unfavorable records such as wreck repairs to obtain a higher trade in value. Unfortunately, the truth is also withheld from future owners unless CarFax or a PPI uncovers the omission.

21. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ridiculous. i dont understand the issue. all they need to do is block out the previous owner. oh and by the way original owner info is available in the owners manual and no one makes a stink about that

22. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

O.P.

Sage advice from Marcel.

If you're thinking, "Who is this guy, and why should I value his opinion?"

Google him. :D

D

23. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Bull****.

Respectfully to the dealer, this is bull****. They don't want to share them, well ok, but this is a pile of crap.

Algar Ferrari, (the only dealer I'm intimately familiar with) has records back to the dawn of time on their serviced cars. Now some were lost in the great roof leak of 1990 something, but generally they keep/kept them forever.

Oh, and even if the paper records are tossed, guarantee the computer file still exists. It's the 21st century, digital storage is forever.

D

24. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#24 dm_n_stuff, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I was able to obtain my service records (copies) from a dealer who wasn't even selling the car. If they serviced it, they likely have the records.