Looks like my Ferrari days are over | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Looks like my Ferrari days are over

Discussion in '308/328' started by buzzpics, Jul 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    Update: Looks like Im going to have to lawyer up. Insurance wants to total it, and pay out $39,000. I laughed, told them where they could stick that. As of a week ago, the car has racked up almost $5k in storage bills at Stuarts. FML, this is becoming a nightmare.

I have USAA, the girl that hit me has Progressive. My insurance company has been against me from day 1. Im going to cancel them as soon as all this is over.

2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #52 308 milano, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    You've got to be joking.. $39k and $5k in storage fees??? Very sorry to hear you have to deal with this on top of everything else.

Almost sounds like Stewart's is trying to get the car through excessive storage fees.

Would seriously look into posting this development in the silver section, and let some of the F-chat lawyers (Joker57676, Statler etc.) give you their opinion on course of action. Best of luck :(

3. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    Take the car to Jano at 4M Bodyworks in Lewisville. He is a Ferrari owner and does collision work on all sorts of Ferraris. Well-known to the DFW FChatters.

4. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    I can only echo what some of the others have already said.
    - Sorry for the headache.
    - Her insurance should pay 100%.
    - Your insurance should be fighting for you.
    - And it doesn't look like 88K worth of damage. Superformance.uk.co sells the entire front end for $3750 +/-.

When I had a guy intentionally hit my truck, I made it clear the vehicle would not be totaled under any circumstances. His insurance (rhymes with Farmers) ended up paying the full amount +

5. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    + 1 for the guys at 4M. When I used to live in Lewisville, TX they were always the best to work with.

future328driver... next time you see Jano tell him Bill Leggett says 'Hi' and that I've upgraded since my 1982 320i back in high school. ;)

6. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    I talked to the adjuster handling the case, and said I would like a second opinion. I also gave them Jano's name and phone number. No dice. They want to continue to total the car. At this point in time, even if I got the car back repaired, I'm so sick of it, I don't even want to keep it.

7. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Buzz...dont freak out! What do they say when you tell them you have a repair shop that will fix it for $20K as I mentioned my friend would do?

8. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    They are totaling the car due to the extensive repair estimate given by Stewart's. Going to try to give minimum payout, then the car will end up at an insurance auction where it will sell for over $50,000 I'm certain and the company makes money. It's time to lawyer up my friend .

And they say insurance companies get a bad rap.

9. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Get a copy of you policy. I reached out to my insurance agent with State Farm to find out if there is a way (as the policy holder and vehicle owner) to block them from totaling the car. Should know more this afternoon.

I am also wondering if the bid for 88k was from a repair shop that has ever worked on a Ferrari. If not, this could be used to dispute the high repair bill.

10. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Sorry to hear about this. These stories hurt.

The insurance company attempts to value the vehicle. Usually if repairs come within 20% of that value they will total it. They don't care about emotional attachments, it's only business to them.

If you can prove to them that the value is closer to $80K they will have to review that. The upswing in values on these has happened so fast many regular companies aren't up to speed.

You need to get records of real sales within the last 6 months I would guess. Let your adjuster know you are going to provide proof that the vehicle has a much higher value. Then get after it.

Sadly this is a cautionary tale for everyone else to make sure they have an agreed value policy and it's up to date.

And my .02c on the repair costs. I don't believe these are just like any other car. I've pulled the front of my car apart. There are lots of small frame pieces in there that are all hand welded. If this whole front section got racked I can't imagine what it would cost to get it set right. First the shop has to get the specs. Then the shop has to deal with their personal fear that it may never be right and it might become a nightmare for them. This isn't a chevy truck folks... That is a bad way to get hit. It might not be too bad, or it could be a disaster. Glad the OP didn't get hurt.

11. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    This is why I have an agreed value policy. USAA and Progressive couldn't pay me to insure a car with them.

12. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I've had nothing but great experience with USAA. Twice my Porsdhe 911 was rear ended, both times while sitting at a red light! Once by a jeep that didn't even slow down for the light and once by a truck that "didn't see me." USAA covered both immediately 100% and the car was back to me in two weeks/three weeks. What they did as far as the other drivers' coverage/insurance co, I have no idea.

13. 903L

903L Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2009
    S. Calif. / Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marty K
    X's a million. Had a home policy with Progressive. I have a home in Arizona. During the Monsoon season the winds blew the roof off of my patio allowing the rain to pool which in turn caused the drywall ceiling to fall down along with my cooling fans. They sent out some old gimpy derelect with his clip board and free Harbor Freight calculator to look at the damage. He never even spoke to me and could not, would not, answer any of my questions. Two weeks later I got a check for $113.00. I sent it back and told them to shove it up their a**. It would not even pay for the gas in my truck to drive to Home Depot to buy new fans after repairs were made. Oh, I got three estimates that I turned into Progressive. The lowest being $6500.00.

14. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    I have USAA on all my "regular" cars. They will give yo fair value and fight for you in my experience. That said, when I asked them if the 328 was going to be valued like it was a 28 year old car or like it was a 28 year old Ferrari there was a lot of "umm" and "we value using industry practices" stuff. Got out quick, went to Hagerty but.. there is always someone who has had a bad experience with every insurance company.

What did you sign that allows a body shop to charge such high fees?

15. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    +1 on USAA. Been insuring homes and cars with them since 1974. Also have investments and blanket policy with them. Incredible when it comes to claims (they total led my MT 360. I received a very reasonable insurance settlement and replaced the 360 with a Ferrari dealer CPO F430 Spider with 20,000 fewer miles).

Their customer service is unmatched in the industry. Plus I get an annual tax-free dividend check in December from my subscriber savings account (think of it as an insurance rebate).

Sent by itsy bitsy electrons