Replacing the injectors? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Replacing the injectors?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by chabch, May 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    #26 wintech, May 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    And I thought my engine bay was clean. That looks like a picture form the factory during build.

3. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I know this is older thread but convinmced me to just buy the new ones as the price to buy a tester / cleaner is the same price as 6-8 new ones. I havent taken mine apart yet but look like the original steel and i can smell a very rich mixture out of the exhaust.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you buy new ones take the brass ones, not the steel ones

5. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Will do. I appreaciate all your advice in all threads.

Danke Veilmals

turbo-joe likes this.
  6. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Hi Danke, I did end up replacing all of them with brass ones, and changed all o rings. Not a hard job if none of them are stuck, but it takes a little bit of time. I did notice my car running smoother at idle for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Remember to adjust both side airflow's, "as it is shown on workshop manual" Changing parts is modern car thing, not that I can argue that steel corrodes from inside injector, but many readers out there will do fine, if they get cars adjusted correctly.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/143977609-post14.html

This year I changed ignition leads and now car "sneeze" as reply for small gas pedal pressure, I don't think Testarossa can be any smoother then one I have now, so nothing was broken, but still got great results.

8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Mikael,

Your manometer appears to have two fluid columns attached to each bank of the engine by way of a 'T' in the line. Why not use just one column for each bank?

If you have any DIY recommendations for your balancing procedure (or a recommended link), it would be much appreciated. Unless of course, you found the WSM procedure to be as good as it gets....

TIA,
    Vincenzo

9. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    #34 mikael82, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    Because;
    - I got four cylinder setup and used T-union to couple two together, no need to make new setup. Also readout is slower, that is better. (many of you will have problem with that red automatic transimission oil getting surged inside engine, that badly adjust they can be)
    - Also there are MIG welder nossle's inside lines, to make flow slower.
    MOST IMPORTANT THING IS:
    Take vacuum from both side vacuum ports with T-union, so everything works while you adjust, warmup regulator also (for cars with mechanical one)

Actually WorkShopManual is good for the job. But main thing is to close bypass screws and only after all is done, open them up and lift idle where you want it.

What WSM does not tell is; there are two stages of adjustment:

1. pedal play and mechanism play is deleted by actually having friend in cabin and hold rpm level over idle (1800rpm or something) and then you adjust flow leves correct, keep it steady and while you adjust, it is not easy job.

2. Idle is only done after main flow is correct and this is to drop idle down, get CO% correct, then lift idle back up with bypass screws, then check CO% again. You might have to adjust main flow if air bypas is too great, but this is not issue, as long as you get them as close as you can, because both units will "auto adjust" them self, but only to the surtain point and after that you get hesitation. and car gets very difficult to get moving from stand still.
    Remember that cooler fans, AC will affect idle. (I have new type coolerfans because I got early car and they take so much current and by this way I can have idle more constant, but it should work with originals)

Then check everything, drive car around and re-check it. Everything settle in place and Bosch Jetronic is very accurate, but also affected with smalest alteration.
    Then there are fuel pressure regulators and cold start prosedure...

10. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Does anyone sell replacement injectors for a 512TR?

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
  12. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I thought Bosch stopped making these injectors 20 years ago. Any source for Bosch 512TR injectors.

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what have you inside just now?

14. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I still have the original injectors (69,000 miles)

15. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
    Dr. Jimbo, if your injectors are the same as for the '86 Testarossa, I purchased 12 Bosch injectors p/n 0437502047 from autohaus AZ in December 2021 for $19.89 each. Also, the large green seals (Febi) for $0.49 each. EDoug

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the 86 testarossa has a K/KE injection, the TR an electronic injection. so totally different

original there are bosch inside ( as I know ? ) and then there is a number on. with this number you can see in comparison lists in what othwer cars those are inside and then may look to find some if bosch not has anymore. but when you know the original flow rate you may look aftermarket to find some

17. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I checked with local NAPA
    Bosch injectors no longer available
    Volvo injector interchange but $119 each

18. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I get an intermittent CEL from injector 5 on the left bank (7-12). I will dump a can of Sea Foam cleaner in the tank and then go for a high rev 2 hour drive (an "Italian Tune-up") and see if that clears things up, Otherwise there is a place nearby in St. Pete that will test/clean for $25 each.

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    would be great if you could post the original bosch parts number here. may be someone still have some?