Thank you Brexit: new car in the stable (tips and tricks) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Thank you Brexit: new car in the stable (tips and tricks)

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by SpeedmasterNL, Jun 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
  2. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
  3. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    #28 MogulBoy, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. SpeedmasterNL

SpeedmasterNL Karting

Nov 9, 2013
    Hmmmm

Strange... Well its not the one for sale for sure cause that one has 95000 km (all hail the king for actually driving the bloody thing!)
    Ill need to investigate this further, I dont know the swedish license plate number but should be able to find out!

Go go gadget-mode on.

5. SpeedmasterNL

SpeedmasterNL Karting

Nov 9, 2013
  6. vitajojo38

vitajojo38 Karting

Oct 17, 2009
    France
    Full Name:
    Joël
    #31 vitajojo38, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've seen it in Lyon (France) when I was searching mine

This 456 GT was originaly blue azzuro but has been repainted in grey to be sold.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    I remember seeing a video of king Gustav's Ferrari having a problem (no start) at a gas station, but I cannot find it again.

8. Vilhuer

Vilhuer Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    AFAIK VAT will reset in some years after car has been outside EU. Tempted to say it will happen in 36 months but not sure if I remember that right. In any case there is limit on how long car can remain outside before VAT needs to be paid again on importation to EU. So it might not be that easy to get them back inside EU market later on.

There is also 10% import tax for outside EU build cars. This will have to be paid for used cars also. I think there is some time limit also to EU build cars which have been outside EU for long enough but this could only apply if car has never been registered in EU.

In any case I can see why UK classic car dealers can be very worried about the future.

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #34 Nembo1777, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    Congratulations:)

If you Google Kungen Ferrari 456 you will find a few more photos. This makes your car a major collectible amongst recent Ferraris.

A few quick stories not related to your 456 but to King Carl Gustav and Ferraris.

In May 1999 I was in Stockholm and found myself on a saturday afternoon outside a closed Ferrari Sweden workshop in Lidingo an island which is part of Stockholm and where I was born:)) and there was a 360 inside. I was the US correspondent for Automobil the main Swedish car magazine and when I mentioned this to the editor in chief the next day he was very surprised and said that so soon after its world premiere it could only have been for the King.

Well in the south of Sweden, in Skane a few months later a 360 was stopped by police going seriously fast, which is rare in Sweden as people are very disciplined. The officer was a bit hot under the collar as he walked up to the window of the parked car, asking what do you think you are doing?! Then he had the shock of his life: Oh sorry your Majesty, I did not know it was you your majesty, my apologies for disturbing you:) The King just calmly took the ticket:)

Not Ferrari related but:

1-In November 2007 I interviewed for a book Verne Ben Heiderich who had been importer of Lamborghini in Spain (as well as Porsche & BMW) he made a sizable fortune and there were many photos in the lobby of his palatial home above Madrid with the old King of Spain of course...and also the King of Sweden, when I commented on that he showed me photos of them with other friends at a private racetrack in Germany on a BMW tuition day all in white racing suits.

2- once in winter the King went to see the Swedish rally probably to give the start and was excited afterwards by the driving he had witnessed so decided he would drive himself home on the snowy roads to have fun with his chauffeur and body guards riding along and holding on for dear life...well he put the car in a ditch:) Then he said it is my fault give me a shovel for the snow as well:)
    He keeps his cars in Stockholm less than a mile from the Royal Palace in a military facility.

He is not the first in the Royal family to have Ferraris.

Best regards,

Marc

10. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    That's a shame, resale grey joining resale red for these more austere times ?

On the movement of LHD cars ...

FTSE is back up, Trotsky's just been murdered by Cameron...it's all going to be fine in the UK!

Maybe ...

11. SpeedmasterNL

SpeedmasterNL Karting

Nov 9, 2013

Great stories Marc!

I actually dated a very hot Dutch girl from Lidingo while I was living in Stockholm, she was working as an Au pair for a rich dutch family on that Island (I dont think there are any poor ones there haha).
    Remember in summer time when everyone is drunk outside, seeing the king race around the block in and old Ferrari Dino. That guy has a lot of fun!

12. SpeedmasterNL

SpeedmasterNL Karting

Nov 9, 2013
    What can make the sterling go back up:
    - 2nd referendum : big chance they decide to stay
    - Political parties will rally to unite to ensure a good Brexit

What will make the sterling to back down further:
    - QE by bank of england as there will simply have more pounds, so more supply which means devaluation
    - Interest rates will be lowered, which will lead to money being taken out of the country to other places with higher interest rates
    - Mario Draghi will give a speech to ensure that he will do everything to ensure the stability of the euro-zone and therefore the demand for Euro will increase (so relatively lower the value of the sterling)

I dont see how a unified UK will pop up anytime soon, so thats out.
    The other 4 options are all very possible in the next couple of weeks. So its 1 vs 3 in favor of the GBP dropping.

Just to put things into perspective: for the 456M GT: for every 1 eurocent difference in exchange rate, I pay 800 euro less for the car.
    Now imagine if youre in the market for a 512M or 575SA.... thats going to be a huge difference in purchase price.

Anyway...only time will tell.

13. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
    The only certainty ahead of us is that there we are all looking at a prolonged period of uncertainty.

You give the impression that you are across the numbers but they don't quite add up from where I’m sitting...

Furlonger still lists that car for sale at £69,990. You say that you have done a deal to buy it at a discount but your €800 figure would only appear to work at £80k…

e.g. £80k at 1.20 is of course €96,000. If Sterling was then to fall 1 cent to 1.19 it could make the car €800 cheaper for you. e.g. €95,200.

However, in the past 24hrs we appear to have seen Sterling recover slightly from 1.20 to 1.22.

Therefore if, for arguments sake, you agreed to pay £80k yesterday, your un-hedged settlement figure today will be €97,600 e.g. €1,600 more than if you had locked-in yesterday at 1.20 - but perhaps I’m missing something?

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    :)

A Dutch au pair? Interesting. You know that the first Swedish export worldwide ahead of Volvos and Ikea is...au pairs? Ask any Swedish woman living abroad married to a man of that country and half the time that is the answer about why she first came to that country, such as the Swedish au pair my young Swedish cousins had in Washington DC, broight along by their parents, well she is now living there married. Anyway back on topic:

Did not know he had a Dino but I am sure some Ferraristi in Sweden were aware of that, I haven't lived there since 1968 when I was four so not fully up to speed:)

MS

15. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Shipping across the pond has gone up about 20% I've found out.....

16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    It's a good time for Europeans to buy in the UK, until the next Eurozone crisis which won't be before you pay the balance on the 456 but might be before the 20th anniversary of the 550's launch...and so it yo-yos. The only certainty, unfortunately, is that it will never be cheap for any of us to buy those beautifully maintained cars on Swiss websites. Because Switzerland, uh, isn't a member of the EU. Hmm.

And while UK car dealers may suffer in the Brexit future they are having a ball right now!

17. SpeedmasterNL

SpeedmasterNL Karting

Nov 9, 2013
    #42 SpeedmasterNL, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016

The contract is signed, the deposit is under way and the car is getting a full inspection report. The car is sold, i just assume they havent had time to update the website or are waiting for the deposit to clear.

Either way: I agreed to pay the full remainder within 2 weeks. So this bounce today upwards is irrelevant.
    Am a 100% sure my plan will work out? No.
    Would I have bought the car at 1.28 exhange rate? Yes. The reason I started looking was due to cheap sterling, but when I came across that car, I would have bought it at the normal rate. Just look at it!
    So anyting below 1.27/1.28 is consideren a bonus.

Youre right about my figure being incorrect, as I was calculating it on the fly. Its not 800 euro, but 650 euro difference per PENCE (i incorrectly said per eurocent previously)
    Now someone can do the math and figure out what I paid for the car :)

18. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    I'd fly over and drive it myself :)

SpeedmasterNL: great buy! Ziet er geweldig uit. :)

19. SpeedmasterNL

SpeedmasterNL Karting

Nov 9, 2013
    Haha ja dank je.
    Misschien doen we binnenkort in Amsterdam een 456 meet :)

English: yeah im flying over for a weekend in London and then ill drive the car back home.

20. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Wij konnen ook een V12 meet in Londen hebben als jij koopt alle van onze Ferraris!

21. SpeedmasterNL

SpeedmasterNL Karting

Nov 9, 2013
    Nice try haha.

22. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
  23. SpeedmasterNL

SpeedmasterNL Karting

Nov 9, 2013

Et voila :
    Pound tanks as BOE chief says more easing likely this summer - MarketWatch

This was my nr 1 prediction, I think we will see 1.15 very shortly (1-2 weeks) and I wouldnt be surprised for 1.10 in next 2 months until Brexit is cancelled after summer and we go back to 1.35 haha :)

24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The pound bottomed at about $1.08 in the past. There were bets going at the time on when it would be 1:1, but it never happened. My first time living in the UK in the early 80s, it peaked at about $2.48. Friends who had bought houses earlier in the late 70s made a killing.

25. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That's an interesting website. You discover a new niche of internet every day..

Although they aren't saying anything that hasn't been said on this thread, really...