Hello Everyone! | FerrariChat

Hello Everyone!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by HW-Bruce, Sep 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HW-Bruce

HW-Bruce Rookie

Sep 28, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Hello everyone and thank you for taking a moment to look at this post.

If I'm writing this thread in the wrong section of the forums, please let me know, and I will immediately move it. I just joined this forum today and want to make sure I don't make any mistakes. There is a summary at the bottom if anyone doesn't feel like reading my entire award-winning post here.

My name is Bruce and I've had my eyes set on having a Ferrari since I was a young boy. Although I'm very young (early 20's) I realized that if I save up for the next four or five years, I can comfortably afford one of these amazing super cars. It has always been my dream to own a Ferrari, learn about the culture, and appreciate these amazing works of art from Italy.

I've been blessed with a modest job and having the self-discipline to work my butt off in school, get the job I've always wanted, and be smart with my money. I purchased two cars back when I was 20 years old due to finding the right guy, getting a lucky break, and a fantastic bargain at the local dealership.

I own an E36-M3 and a 2012 STI currently. I love both cars to death. I keep my BMW for weekend rides (when it's not horrible outside) and the Subaru for when it's bogged down with ice and/or snow outside. Although both cars are fantastic, and I was able to purchase both of them relatively cheap, I never lost track of my main goals.

I will be very frank when I say that I may (or may not) have all of my priorities and parts of life in the right order. Although I'm in a relationship, we both don't mind living in a very small apartment, like we currently do so. In addition, neither myself or my girlfriend (future wife, knock on wood) plan to have children or even push to moving to another location. We have both grown up in our local area, gone to the same school together, and are simply tied to where we live and even parts of the community.

I want a Ferrari, plain and simple, and my current girlfriend is very supportive of this. But look at all of our financial situations, and any potential future emergencies that could rack up large bills, we have agreed to not rush the process of getting one of these cars. If I sell my two cars (my girlfriend doesn't drive, but she works within the plaza where our apartment is located) and save up a little more, I can easily afford a Ferrari. She loves these cars too and we both think this would be amazing.

My only concern is the area we live in...

We live where not the best individuals reside. Although I have nothing against individuals who never finished school, whether High-School or College or University or Graduate School, we do live in an area where wannabe "gang-bangers" live and everyone who is forced to park on the street (due to nobody having a garage) vehicles do get scratched or even broken into. My fear is that if we both save up and buy our Ferrari, and have it parked on the street near our neighborhood, it will be vandalized one way or another.

We currently have been looking at a Ferrari 360 Modena. It seems like a fantastic car. Powerful, reliable, can even be driven daily. We went near a lot in the Tyson's area and even saw one that was a manual transmission! From what we have read online these cars are fantastic, as long as you maintain them properly and have appropriate tires for them when driving during the Winter months.

I apologize if this post is extremely long or all over the place. I'm trying to write this up in a rushed manner before work.

Thank you again for anyone taking a moment to look at my thread and read it. I will be back later to respond.

Thank you all again and have a fantastic and blessed Sunday!

*summary*

My girlfriend and I have agreed that in about five years or so, we will save up together and purchase a Ferrari for us to share. She doesn't have a license so I drive her to work if she doesn't wish to walk there. We currently have no loans to pay off and are in zero debt. We have both been looking at different models, but currently, a 360 Modena has caught our eyes. Our one concern is that if we do buy a Ferrari, it may be vandalized. Thoughts? Opinions? Concerns?

Thank you all very much and have a blessed Sunday!

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Great first post and welcome to F-Chat.

A number of your questions have been asked and answered in general. This is a great place to do your research. Search the threads you never know what you'll find or where they'll lead you. There are many considerations that aren't apparent to someone new to the marque.Giving yourself enough lead time will be a huge advantage.

Don't be put off by some of the brusqueness we bark a lot but rarely bite.

3. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Welcome and good luck with your search. IMO, you might just want to reconsider the order of priorities - maybe make your girlfriend your WIFE before you buy a Ferrari together with her. Also, since you're concerned about theft/vandalism, then maybe elevate your chosen residence to a priority above owning a Ferrari.

We've all shared the same dream, you've just got to make sure the other priorities are realized and lined up properly before biting off the big Ferrari piece, because it's not a rational / reasonable decision that makes financial sense. Also, be prepared for an unexpected large maintenance bill because, though they may not be frequent, they can happen!

Again, good luck.

Edit: I bought my Ferrari at 31 years of age - had a nice home and two kids + prof. working wife all before that time. Just make sure you know the road ahead and plan for everything before you buy a big toy car. My $0.02. Also, according to your description of your surroundings, I personally wouldn't bring a Ferrari into that mix. And though you can say you're happy in a small apt. where you are right now, that'll change. Especially after you get married / have kids.

4. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Welcome.

1. Never share with a girlfriend, wife yes, but not anyone else.

2. Don't sacrifice your retirement for a car. Money saved now can't replace money saved later.

5. HW-Bruce

HW-Bruce Rookie

Sep 28, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Wow thank you everyone for your warm welcome and helpful advice!

Yea I agree that I probably should get my priorities straight. If anything, saving up and moving to a different complex of apartments (where you can have your own one-car garage) may work perfectly.

Regarding my current relationship with my girlfriend... I would say that we will probably get married within a year or so, if everyone goes according to plan.

With the retirement and savings... I have to agree that I don't really have much in the 401k nor do I have any spare cash in the bank, currently. I guess I was just in the moment when I saw my dream car for only $70k or so and realized I could have it within a five year time frame or so.

6. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    One of the biggest problems I had when considering buying a Ferrari was where it was going to be parked.

I have off-road parking behind My house but it's not gated or fenced off and so open to the public, and the area I live in has gone from being a nice, quiet area full of families, to a student ghetto.

Sorry if anyone thinks that I'm just stereotyping here but the fact is, we now have students coming home drunk most days in the early hours of them morning, girls running up and down the road screaming in the early am hours as their boyfriends chase them about messing around, and lads who think it's clever to either have their picture taken whilst standing on someone's car so they can put it on facebook and "look like a hero!", or run their keys down the side of any nice car in the neighbourhood!

Despite all that, it's still not what I'd call a rough neighbourhood (yet!), but would I park a Ferrari out there overnight? - Hell no!

It would end up getting keyed, being stood on, having it's badges torn off (plus the additional damage caused as the moronic thieves would not be able to figure out that the bloody things are bolted on!), the tyres would be let down/slashed, the door mirrors would be ripped off (I've already had that done to My ageing shed of a 3 series BMW parked out the back of the house!), someone would attempt to steal it sooner or later, etc., etc.

In the end, I was determined to have a Ferrari in My life and the only way to be able to do so and park it safely was to rent a garage in a secure storage facility around half a mile from My house. This gives Me 27/7 access to My car all year round, that has a coded gate access along with high security padlocks on the garage door. This also gives Me piece of mind, but at a cost of @ £200 ($325), per month! - So that's £2400 ( or $3900), a year just to park the car securely! (That's still a damn sight cheaper than having to repair the car every week though!).

I could park the car just as securely at other facilities for a lot less money, but non are within walking distance of My house and they all have severe restrictions as to when you can collect your car, return your car etc., etc. (Basically I wouldn't have 24/7 access to the car and would have to ring them up to see if they could make My own car available to Me or not!).

I'm not a rich guy, just a regular Joe, and I'm fully aware that it's a ridiculous amount of money to spend just to park a car, but My Ferrari is the love of My life and so it's worth it to Me (for now at least!), but it is a massive sacrifice to make!

The point is, if I didn't have the secure parking then I would not own a Ferrari because it would break My heart to come out one day to find it's been stolen/vandalised/wrecked etc., etc.

My advice to the OP would be:

Forget the Ferrari for now (especially if street parking in a dodgy area is all you have available!), and concentrate on sorting yourself a happy and secure life with your Girlfriend!

Your Girlfriend may be okay with the thought of you having a Ferrari at the moment, but sooner or later she's going to resent the sacrifices she's having to make for the car! She's not going to be happy living in a small apartment forever and a day (women rarely are!), sooner or later she'll be wanting a nice house to live in, so she can have all your friends round for parties, dinners and BBQ's, and if all the money you both have goes on running a Ferrari then it's going to cause friction eventually!

Let Me put it to you this way:

Finding a Ferrari to have in your life is a piece of pi$$! - All it takes is having enough money!

Finding someone who wants to share the rest of their life with you is a lot harder! - But if you do find that special someone, making them happy should be your number one priority!

And trust Me on this one: No woman likes to play second fiddle to a car! (Been there!.............Done that!................ Bought the T-shirt.............Had it ripped up when she left in a strop! [Luckily enough she didn't take it out on the car!] ).

In My case, For the right woman the Ferrari would go!, but as it stands, Jennifer Aniston seems to have different ideas and so the Ferrari's safe!

7. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    You can have a **** load of fun with a used Corvette or Miata.

8. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    You're welcome - you've got a lot of living to do and you are probably a fairly talented young man so this shouldn't be a difficult dream to achieve. Warning: it's a gateway drug. Once you get your first hit, you're gonna want more... more... more!!! :)

Also, buying one for $70k and having the money to keep it on the road in top order are two different things. I always make sure people know that. A lot of people can afford the up front acquisition cost. But, if something expensive goes wrong, can they pay to get the car back in top shape? Not saying that it will go wrong, but you've gotta be prepared for that as well as the higher-than-normal-car annual maintenance charges. Parts can be pretty expensive on a 360, especially OEM ones.

And remember, like it has been said before, your choice of surroundings (your living space) will have a pretty dramatic impact on your life: the kind of car(s) you can keep, the kind of parties you and your wife/GF can throw, your general level of happiness, etc. She (and you) may be content in your present surroundings, but that will change. Especially after you get married. I would almost sign my name to that as a certainty.

Organize the priorities and see where everything fits first - it's always an evolving puzzle and you have to devote regular attention to making sure the pieces are in the correct order.

Edit: I would also suggest you be a home owner rather than a renter before you buy your first Ferrari, or at least be in the position that you can own a home but have some other compelling reasons not to own one (not just to avoid the debt of a mortgage). But, that's just my thought.

9. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Welcome op. I'm in a similar situation to you. 24 years old and fresh out of college and like you my goal is a ferrari 360 (with cs body kit, capristo, test pipes and a bunch of other goodies). My advice would be to save and invest aggressively. I save 80% of my income and skimp on everything. Not meeting my weekly budget is not an option. I save basically everything and invest it in shares. I leverage them too. Somewhat risky but I manage it well and I'm young so it's okay.

Keep saving though until you can buy your ferrari comfortably and also can perhaps afford your own house. I'm going to wait 2 more years and by that point it will be very comfortable according to my calculations. But if you're American I would just loan for the car - interest rates here are like 12% and it's downright stupid but I've heard you get something ridiculous like 2%. That money is better utilized investing rather than tied up in a depreciating asset ;)

But as others have said above, you will need somewhere to park it! You're lucky you have your girlfriend on board. My girlfriend doesn't cAre for cars and spends most of her money on her hair, fashion and eating out. She spent $600 on her hair the other week. Never knew such a thing was even possible!!? (Love her to death though).

Best of luck to you op. And glad to see someone in a similar situation to me :)

10. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Parking ... First concern, all the bad is mentioned above. A parked Ferrari is a magnet for people, some with not so good intentions. Back in the olden days I parked my 87 328 in a 10 by 20 Public Storage unit in the winter for about $150 a month. It was behind a locked gate, and in a locked garage. Also people see a Ferrari outside your house, some think there must be expensive stuff inside your residence ... Just saying. Also some Ferrari's leak in the rain, who would guess ;) do your research and have 10K cash still in your hand AFTER your purchase, it made me feel better at the time, and yes I spent some on service and parts.

11. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    haven't read through all the replies so my apologies if what I say has been mentioned. My biggest issue bringing a Ferrari into your neighborhood isn't the risk of damage to the car, it's risk of damage to you or your girlfriend. A car like that in a neighborhood like you describe will make people wonder what you've got in your apartment. They'll wonder what you have in your wallet walking into the house from the car. In short, it puts way too much of a target on you in a place where you're far too susceptible.

12. HW-Bruce

HW-Bruce Rookie

Sep 28, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Hello everyone once again! It has been nearly two years. So much has changed!

My "one and only" and I separated. I came across some serious financial problems and had to sell both of my cars and move back in with my parents. The experience has been both humbling and humiliating, to say the least.

But I have not lost sight of my goals or dreams. In fact, not having to worry about the finances of my own place to live nor the finances of owning two "performance" vehicles I've saved a lot of money thankfully.

I'm 24 now and working part-time while taking courses online to try to get into the IT or Cyber Security field. I've been still enjoying life but living very modestly and simply. I've started even making money on the side by dabbling into investing.

To keep a long story short, I'm sitting currently on a decent amount of cash. I know the mature and right thing to do is to invest it, but it's so tempting to put some money down and take out a loan on my dream car. I know I'm going to be told to focus on finishing my upper education, finding a new place to live, and settling myself properly... but may I ask why?

I ask this in a serious tone... Would owning a Ferrari in your mid-twenties really be frowned upon if you live with your parents? Even if your parents are going to be retiring soon and you want to be there to take care of them?

Please excuse my "sudden" post and I know that this one is all over the place compared to my previous writing in this thread. I'm just thinking out loud and being up front and honest here. Please let me know what you all think and what your opinions are. I always value and respect the words of the educated and successful.

Thank you everyone again! Have an amazing Wednesday and enjoy life! HW-Bruce! :)

13. A320

A320 Karting

Oct 8, 2012
    PGI, FL
    Hello Bruce. Sounds like some aspects of your life have changed while others might not have over the past two years. I think the answer to your "new" question lies in the posts made to your original question. The folks on this board know of what they speak so I'm guessing the responses will be the same as they were two years ago.
    As you, I also wanted a Ferrari since I was a kid in my 20's. Decided it was more important (for me) to be financially secure and settled. After making sure the wife and I have a house, my son is out of college, all debts paid off (and a garage to park the car) I went out and got that Ferrari and it felt even more gratifying after all the hard work to get to that point in my life.
    I hope you're not just looking for someone here to tell you to "pull the trigger" and "you only live once" if you're not in a position to do so.
    Keep us updated as to your decision.
    Regards.

14. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How long will you able to live with your parents?

15. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Better check what your insurance situation would be - could be a deal breaker unfortunately...

16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Bruce, I was also desperate to own a Ferrari in my mid-20s. My dad died when I was in my teens and I got an inheritance which was almost exactly equal to the cost of a brand new V8 midengine Ferrari of the time. I couldn't quite make myself spend it all on a new 328 GTS and I knew insurance and servicing would kill me. But I bought a string of other cars instead.
    A bit later in my 20s I was working as a journalist, not earning too much, and found it wouldn't be that hard to take a loan to get a Ferrari. Insurance was huge, maintenance huge, but many was the night, usually after a couple of drinks, when I thought, just do it, you won't regret it.
    I didn't do it; bought some of great but much more affordable cars instead (someone mentioned a Miata/MX5; great car). I eventually bought my first Ferrari in my 40s, with cash, when I was earning enough not to worry about the costs. (And the insurance is much cheaper for us old men, too.) More followed.
    Thinking about it now, getting a loan to get a Ferrari in my 20s, when I was in a financially similar situation to you now, would have been a disaster. I wouldn't have been able to afford a great car. A bad ferrari is not just a minefield, it's less fun than a Miata/MX5. I would have been worried sick about the next bill. Ferraris can spring ten grand on you just when things look dreamy. And also, while I was very nervous when I bought my first Ferrari (and all the others!) it was a real sense of achievement to think: this is my money. I deserve this.
    Without wanting to sound like your dad, I'd say buy a cool fun car but not a Ferrari, now. In Europe I'd say a Boxster or 944 or 968 or an 80s/90s GTi. Be satisfied you can deal with the bills. Ferraris will always be around, and more are being made every year.
    What you don't want to do is hate your Ferrari, which could quite easily happen, if you buy the wrong car for the wrong reasons at the wrong time with the wrong money.
    Darius

17. HW-Bruce

HW-Bruce Rookie

Sep 28, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #17 HW-Bruce, Jun 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    Hello all! Thank you everyone for your responses! Let me address the questions and comments as follows...

1 - Thankfully I am very close with my parents so I am welcome to stay with them as long as I would like, but realistically, I believe in a year or two I will be moving out.
    2 - I've come to a realization that my dream and lust for a Ferrari is simply because I have a sweet tooth for speed and enjoy positive attention.
    3 - Looking at my financial situation it would be wise to continue to save as much money as I can and learn even more about the investing world.

Both having patience and maturity is vital for success and having all of you older and far wiser individuals responding to my post definitely helps me find the right path.

Changing pace though, I do have some questions about two different Ferrari's that I plan to purchase in about three or four years from now, possibly later though if I do not feel stable enough. I apologize for that run on sentence. That was very poorly structured.

So assuming that you have around thirty grand to blow and you're pulling around sixty grand a year would setting your eyes on a hundred grand Ferrari be realistic? Assuming your job is stable and your other financial parts in life are in order? I ask because I have been looking at the F430 and the California right now. Does anyone suggest one or the other? If I were to purchase either one I would go with the automatic. Both of my previous cars were stick but the last year or so I've been driving an automatic and honestly have grown accustomed and used to the lack of "feel" and how "relaxing" it is to drive something with only two pedals.

Thoughts? :)

18. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    This!

19. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    You know they aren't true automatics right? Just read everything there is availible for the cars you want so you have realistic expectations.

20. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Agreed. I love my 430, but the few times I have had it in 'Auto' mode it was just a pig to drive. I thought it might work well in traffic, but not so. Shifting at the wrong time, not shifting when it should, not knowing which direction to shift... Some of that is a result of driver inputs, sure. But the 430 is definitely not an Automatic.

21. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Bruce,

Your parents may be different than me, but if my son can afford a Ferrari, he can dam* sure afford his own place to live. And I would make sure he knew the free flop ended the day he buys that toy.

When you are standing on your own feet and covering all of YOUR life expenses, then you can start thinking about a dream Ferrari.

22. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I anticipate a recession within five years. Save now and you'll possibly get a good deal on a Ferrari by that time. This is assuming that you still have a job, of course. Good luck!

23. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Always put a home first. Buy a place as soon as you can. Live at home and rent it out if you can and build equity fast. Be motivated in your career and try to excel at whatever you do, money will come. Cars are the result of proper life planning not the other way around. DO NOT PUT THE CART BEFORE THE HORSE OR IT WILL ALL END UP IN THE DITCH.

24. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I had fell in love with Ferraris when I was 9 and it was always a dream. Hard work, lots of education, some risks and I had my first at 28. However, I also had my first house and a garage first.... and I was able to fully support myself.

Priorities! You can do whatever you want, but living with mom and dad and driving a 430? Seriously? You said you like the attention. That usually has to do with attention from the girls. Nothing wrong with that, but chicks just don't dig guys living with their parents for anything other than the 'friend zone'.

If you really going to live your dream, you need to make a serious, logical plan.