1964 Corvette 327/300 matching numbers $40,000 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

1964 Corvette 327/300 matching numbers $40,000

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by bjferrari, May 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mktwise

Mktwise Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Very nice looking vette.

2. SBR1

SBR1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2015
    63 and 64 Corvettes had the vin plates welded on. In 65 they started to use rivets.

3. bjferrari

bjferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    If they were '63s or '64s, evidently.....shame on you

4. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    I agree with you that this is a hell of a nice driver for $40K.
    However, I think all the minutia here of Corvette ownership is useful in determining if this is merely a v. good deal, or a screaming bargain. It's quite possible the owner could be asking more!
    There was a Shelby offered here for $100K a month back in Montreal that took a lot of flack.
    The car was resold on Ebay for $147K

we are a tough audience!

If the seller was looking to part trade this on my 330 at near my ask, I'd take this in a heartbeat -

ciao

5. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    Only 66/67. I thought '64 had some with rivets.

6. Bigwavedave

Bigwavedave Karting

Sep 28, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Any pics with the top up?

7. bjferrari

bjferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Took pics of the top up and pics of the tires and wheels/hubcaps that came with it. Have uploaded soon hopefully

8. lucky strike

lucky strike Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2015
    Pompano Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I find it hard to believe that this car is still on the market.
    It looks great. I'm a car dealer and I bet it would bring more at a auction.
    We sell used Mercedes here in Pompano Beach Fl.
    GLWS.

9. bjferrari

bjferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Thanks! Yes, took some folks for rides yesterday at my Indy party and they all loved it! Having a bit of sellers remorse..................One thing to add. The Hard top. I went to pick it up last week and it was not done. They were missing a piece of chrome and had to order.. Will update when it is done

10. lucky strike

lucky strike Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2015
    Pompano Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have just finished a restoration on a 1987 328 1 owner car.
    Would you be interested in trading in the Vet on it?

11. bjferrari

bjferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Hmmmm. Being a car guy I am open to anything (loved the 330 2+2 of 330 4HL but a little too much out of pocket for me at this time!). Gonna be off the grid rest of the afternoon at a Mem Day party but if you want to PM me some info on the car and what your thinking , maybe we can chat this week?

12. robert344@verizon.net

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2015
    Full Name:
    robert
    where in pa. is this car located and what is the history ?? Thanks

13. bjferrari

bjferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Mohnton PA (near Reading) I bought at at an auction last fall. Previous owner was from New York sate, supposedly had it a long time and did most/all of the restoration That's all the history I have, sorry!

14. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    #65 vvassallo, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
    I missed this - it has a stock HARDTOP?! Stop kicking the tires and someone free this car from the OP! Love the white c. top. too.

:D

So on the matching numbers thing, we used to replace the worn out blocks of older Vettes with appropriate coded blocks. No restamping for us, but some people have resorted to that. For the general run Vettes, these engines were pretty easy to source. Even with a matching code engine block and heads, you could redo the internals anyway you want. Not to mention the carb. Add headers and away you go with 400 HP. If you wanted to produce a matching numbers model, you could add the correct batch of parts and voila - instant collector. Unless you were really good, you'd probably miss something for the experts to find, but the rank and file with a Corvette Black Book would be clueless.

But, honestly, to me that is not what these cars are about. There are a few Vettes I'd call collectibles. FI's, tri-power BB's, LT-1, L-88, L89, ZL-1, racing RPO's, for sure. Everything else, meh. Radio delete? Really? M21 or M22? Who cares? I had a Vette that was among the rarest of the breed, but no one cares about random options adds and deletes, plus it is too easy to fabricate subtle differences. A/C in a convertible was rare in the early years, but that made sense. Now this is a collector hot point. They have taken all the fun out of Vettes for me. Too much hoopla and I am too suspicious. That's why an honest driver like this one hits the mark for me.

At a Scottsdale auction, I witnessed a Ferrari collector buy a C2 tri-power tribute car with matching numbers. Want to bet that car eventually sells for a bona fide price? Not from this guy maybe, but after being washed a few times through ownership changes. I need to step off my soap box now. Sorry, you have a lovely car and I wish it goes to a good home soon. Before I get all nostalgic and buy it.

15. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I'm biting my lip here

16. Josephct

Josephct Rookie

Aug 21, 2015
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Joseph demetro
    You take $32k to day if so call me 2033824448. Joe

17. bjferrari

bjferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Gonna pass on that but thanks for your interest! Going to give Ebay a try, when I get around to it.

18. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
  19. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Bryan:

Beautiful car! Just be patient, you'll get your asking. It's worth that, even if it's got the Lo-Po version of the 327. Hard top, very desireable colors, and condition make it worth what you are asking. Until the next owner opens his wallet, just keep driving it and enjoying the ride!

20. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Tim, my prepared BB '69 would have kicked your Challenge car's azz anytime anywhere, dude. :) At least up to 135 mph when my courage ran out.

21. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Sold! Thanks for all of the insight guys, it was really helpful.

22. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Already home.
    [​IMG]

23. Philly

Philly Karting

Aug 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Phil Gelso
    Something tells me this is a car at a price that the fchat community shouldn't have let get away ...

24. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    Congrats! Nicely done all around.