The biggest problem with these PU's... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The biggest problem with these PU's...

Discussion in 'F1' started by itschris, May 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I would get behind this. I think technology is the way forward - I really do. F-1 has some of the brightest designers around, if they are let off the leash they can design a car that satisfies everyone and allows great racing.

the part of F-1 that is sanitized is the driver taming the car. its just not there, at all. that is what produces great racing ... its a 360 degree challenge.

It has NEVER been just about drivers against drivers ... it has ALWAYS been the combo of the two.

Put Jim Clark in a 1965 cooper ... and doubtful he would be WDC, but it would have shown some very entertaining drives.... its getting the best drivers in the Best cars.... that is F-1.

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    They've *never* been as "reliable" as they are now though!...... Someone posted recently that Bahrain (? - I haven't checked) was only the ~10th (?) time in the history of the sport that they'd all finished.

A staggering achievement given, as you say, the complexity of the things these days.

Anytime you push the envelope like these guys, bad **** is gonna happen on occasion.

Compared to "history", these current things are more reliable than ever!

Cheers,
    Ian

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    China and 6th (!!!)

4. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Thankyou sir!

Which given it's been going for well over 50 years - Lets call it 800 races or so (I'm sure you'll correct me there too ;)), puts the whole thing into some kind of perspective.....

Once again, seems the rose-tinteds blur our vision of history. Even the good ol' DFV's blew up with alarming regularity! Seems many overlook that.

I've gotta be honest - I really thought we'd see many more battery pack "explosions" & "fires" etc - I had a little laptop basically explode on me one time, and it wasn't trying to hold close to the energy these guys are messing with.....

It may take a while to "trickle down" to the real world, but I honestly believe they're trying really hard - You can't be close to competitive otherwise. [See; Honda for being "conservative". ;)]

Cheers,
    Ian

5. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    I don't think they are too complex. They were already complex when we had KERS. Hybrid is the current state of the art. I think what's happening is the rush to tweak the new PUs is causing all kinds of havoc. They are 3 years old but the change was pretty significant although not entirely. It's a natural progression under pressure of competition. I think the rule should give more leeway to compete technically. By this I mean testing and all that stuff. Yes maybe the systems are complex enough now that little things are causing large problems, but I think the concept is current.

6. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Since 1950 to Russia 2016 - 939# (Includes Indy 500 races from 1950-1960).

7. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Like everyone else, totally agree they should be allowed to test, at least a little. I've said for years a couple of days immediately following some of the races.... Minimal added cost and not a return to the crazy days of multiple test teams running almost 24x7.

Agree that the technology/concept is state of the art, but not so sure "little things are causing large problems"..... They're as reliable now, if not more so, than they've ever been.

Thanks!

I was reasonably close; I just did a quick 'guesstimate'.... :)

Cheers,
    Ian

8. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    seriously? china was only the 6th time every car finished in f1 history?!

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Absolutely mind blowing isn't it?

10. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Yep!

939 races, & only 6 times have they all reached the flag. And I'd be willing to bet that in those 6 races not all of them finished on the lead lap......

I haven't checked the others, but the most recent example, China this year, had just 13 out of the 22 running the distance. The others were all at least a lap back. But at least they all finished.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record (again), but F1 is *hard*, always has been & hopefully always will be. What they're achieving with these baby PU's in terms of power & reliability is another reason they remain the pinnacle IMO.

Cheers,
    Ian

11. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Definitely. SO crazy

12. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    When they are all electric, today's cars will be regarded as 'the good old days.'