F1 won't shift with engine running | FerrariChat

F1 won't shift with engine running

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mel Spillman, Apr 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    2004 360 spider F1 won't shift with engine running. Shifts fine with engine off and goes through self learn with Leonardo just fine. Hood, engine cover, doors, top all closed with no error codes. No F1 light on dash. Leonardo show no error codes. New clutch just installed with no fault codes. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

2. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert

I know nothing about this car but.....
    Is there an interlock switch on the brake pedal that must be activated to shift into first and could this be bad?

3. 8339

8339 Karting

Oct 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Richard
    If the TCM (transmission control module) does not see brake light operation you won't shift into any gear with the engine running.

4. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    What is the PIS set at

5. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Brake switch is needed even if the engine is not running. Should be fine in that case.

6. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Yes,
    what is the PIS value?
    what is the clutch position with the engine not running?
    what is the clutch position with the engine running?
    does the Leonardo see a rotation of the gearbox input shaft when you try to select a gear?

7. Mel Spillman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    #7 Mel Spillman, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Eric: This is what I'm getting from the Leonardowith the engine off and on. Clutch Pressure Plate Travel (off-15.404)(on 17.357.) Reference Clutch Presure Plate Stroke (off 15.404) (on 6.991). Gear box primary angle speed (off 0) (on 0. ) Clutch SV current control (off 0 ) (on 1599.360) Self calibrated closed clutch position (off 15.404) (on 15.369) Self Calibrated Clutch travel point PIS (off 4.189) (on 4.189) Closed potentiometer current at system centre self calibrated clutch solenoid valve (off 964.320) (on 948.640) No rotation seen when trying to select a gear. This car has a CS TCU that worked fine before clutch replacement and all systems have been flushed and bled. Thanks for your help

8. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    It looks OK on clutch side. It is open when the engine is running and the gearbox input shaft is not turning.
    Can you read the correct engine RPM through the TCU?
    Can you read the same RPM on the gearbox input shaft when the clutch is closed, car in N?
    I suppose that pressure is good and gear display is not blinking.

9. SEAN@TEAM AI

SEAN@TEAM AI Karting
    Sponsor

Sep 22, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Sean Smith
    With the Leonardo in my shop. Self learn and selective gear engagement will occur engine off and no pressing of the brake pedal.

Never tried to engage a gear with the Leonardo engine running.

Switch status is easily checked with Leonardo engine running or not. Go to parameters select brake pedal switch.

10. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    I agree that with the diagnostic tool connected there is no need to press the brake pedal to do a self-learn or so select gears.
    The point of my comment was that if you want to select gear with the paddles (not with the Leonardo) when the engine is not running, you do need to press the brake pedal.
    As the OP said the car was shifting fine with the engine off, I supposed that it was with the paddle and that the brake switch (and fuse) is OK.

11. Mel Spillman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    Yes. you can read the correct engine RPM through the TCU and it is the same RPM on the gearbox input shaft when clutch is closed and car in N. With engine running, Leo in parameters
    CAN confirm paddles sending signal request for "up shift" / "dwn shift" and "rev. request"
    Brake switch, drivers door status, all working and reading thru tcu..
    Again, thanks for everyone's input

12. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Wow, that's weird.
    Can you try with another TCU?

13. Mel Spillman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    I don't have another TCU to try at this time. Thanks for all your help, Mel

14. North bay tech

Apr 18, 2015
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Full Name:
    Josh Bare
    You might try raising the PIS, 4.1 is pretty low for a brand new clutch. I would also try bleeding the clutch actuator again

15. Mel Spillman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    Thanks. We raise the PIS to 5.0 and will bleed the clutch actuator. I'll let you know what happens.

16. Mel Spillman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    Still not shifting. Anyone else have any suggestions???? Thank you, Mel

17. fmaderi

fmaderi Formula Junior

May 8, 2005
    clearwater Fla/NY
    Full Name:
    frank maderi
    Curious what the actuator delta is . Are you turning the system ,ignition off after you perform your relearn for a few minutes .

18. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    ^^^^^^ This.
    There are very specific procedures outlined in the shop manual, sometimes people forget some steps.

Only issue I have ever had was a 430 which wold stall when selecting a gear, too tight a PIS.

Possibly a problem with the position sensor on the OP vehicle too....

19. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I am going to toss this out there even though it is a 355 and not your 360...

If the brake lights don't work (on a 355 anyway), the car won't shift into gear. I had a blown brake light fuse in my 355 and the car would not go into any gears at all. I Replaced the fuse, the brake lights worked and the car shifted fine.....go figure.

Doubt this is your issue, but worth a check just the same.

20. roadrunner73

roadrunner73 Rookie

Sep 16, 2015
    Full Name:
    Bruce Anderson
    Good morning, you are saying that the car is able to shift gears (all gears ) with the engine not running correct? With the engine running you are unable to shift/select any gears correct? If that is the case you have a clutch issue... Did you replace the flywheel bolts during the clutch replacement? I have seen in the past a few times that the flywheel bolts break and get jammed up between the clutch assy and the flywheel causing the clutch to not be able to disengage (open) causing the very issue you are describing. Remember all a clutch does is transfer engine torque to the gearbox, if it cannot disengage/open you will not be able to select/engage any gears when the engine is running. My suggestion to you is ,yes its a bummer to have to do this, is to go back where you were. Inspect the clutch assy and the flywheel mounting bolts, determine the cause of the clutch engagement/disengagement issue and you will solve your issue. If you need some insight you can PM me. I hope this will help. Take care!!

21. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Leonardo data tend to show that the clutch is disengaged when the engine is running (Throw-out bearing position, no speed on the gearbox input shaft).

22. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Brake switch and fuse need to be OK to change gears when the engine is not running. It seems that works fine here.

23. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Is it really 17.357 mm when the engine is running or is it 15.357mm?

24. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Still the same comment ...

25. North bay tech

Apr 18, 2015
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Full Name:
    Josh Bare
    a couple thoughts,

I am not familiar with how the Leonardo is laid out as far as accessing under different softwares, but the factory testers are not smart enough to stop you from using the incorrect software level. It happens quite a bit and it will read out the incorrect numbers. If your new clutch is programmed under the incorrect software than what your particular vehicle has, then you will end up with issues.

The other thought is the clutch position sensor, did you replace it? did you replace the magnet, and make sure that it did not crack when it was installed? a cracked magnet will cause lots of problems intermittently.

Check your engine rpm and check your trans shaft rpm while vehicle is running in neutral. trans should be zero, if it is not then the clutch is dragging and will not shift.