1952 Mille Miglia 225S question | FerrariChat

1952 Mille Miglia 225S question

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by tongascrew, Mar 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    What is the chassis number of the Ferrari 225S driven by Mario and Franco Boringia #606 in the 1952 Mille Migilia???. Who ever answers this correctly gets a gold Star and brownie points. tong's crew

2. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Wouldn't it be better to title the thread 1952 Mille Miglia 225S Question, or something more informative? Easier for future searches too.

3. m.h.

m.h. Karting

Mar 14, 2005
    At least it’s a good question.

According to "Red Arrows" the Bornigias car is not 0172 ET (no. 615 in the same race, P. Marzotto/Marini), 0178 ED (no. 603, Sterzi/Rovelli), 0162 ED (no. 622, Biondetti/Ercoli), 0154 ED (no. 625, V. Marzotto/Marchetto) or 0194 ET (no. 610, Scotti/Cantini), which are all 225 S Vignale Spiders.

Greetings, Mick

4. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I have been thru Red Arrows and World Sports Racing Prototypes and my own file on this car.This may be one of the mysteries without answer.Let's see what else turns up. tonga's crew

5. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    If #610 is really 0194/ET, then #606 (with the same air scope on rear flanks) must be 0192/ET...

6. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
  7. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
  8. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    No no no, according to build sheet the latest engine was completed at that time. Latest engine (build) is not always the first engine (build).

9. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    It is quite possible that consecutive chassis numbers were finally completed out of order due to the vagaries of the body shops or the priority requested by the owner due to a forthcoming race...so 0194ET could have been ready before 0192ET.

It is also strange that the auction which seems to have access to the build sheets didn't record an earlier engine build which might have fitted with the date of the MM.

However the similarity of the bodies in the photo of the MM start makes it quite likely it is 0192ET. The highest c/n in that sequence that started the MM that year was 0196A.

Paul M

10. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Factory maintained a technical archive, not historical one. When a revision was made, old papers were destroyed. This also explains why factory certifies cars as they last left the factory. That is the only set-up they have documentation on!!!

11. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Thanks for all the input. I don't have the equipment to post this photo.I will be glad to mail copy to anyone interested. The B&W photo is post card size showing the car from the very front in a crowd of people in bright sunshine in a town setting which could be Brescia.On the front right side is what appears to be a mechanic with his left hand on the front tire. Behind him is a heavy set man in a dark sweater standing outside the cockpit with his left hand on the steering wheel. A third man is sitting in the passenger seat a light sweater,shirt and necktie. Neither man is wearing a helmet,goggles or gloves.In those days drivers didn't always wear helmets or wear racing coveralls ( Remember the Marzotto brothers)The car appears to being pushed forward.The windshield is curved,one piece, full width with no frame.The large white numbers 606 are painted on the very front of the hood(bonnet). The photo is cropped showing only the top half of the front end. Visible are the headlights mounted near the top outside front of the front fenders.Next to them are two vertical brake cooling inlets on each side of the large oval egg crate grill which appears to be vertical and is surrounded by a thin chrome strip.This front end is definitely not Touring and most likely Vignale. This is about all I can tell you about this photo but with the sun shining would indicate a later but still early morning start. Comments please. tonga's crew

12. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    One thing I forgot. The original body work of 0192ET is supposed to have had two small cooling intakes at the front of the hood(bonnet). These are not shown in this photo. Could they have been added after the M.M.? tonga's crew

13. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Sorry on more thing. The two small lights mounted on the outside edges of the grill are also shown in the photo. tonga's crew

14. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    #14 EnzoNZ, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Your photo - copyright © Mailander
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Yes, that is the one. It will be interesting if anyone can identify this car with a sn. tonga's crew

16. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    The Portuguese's 225 S didn't have air scope on flanks.

#606 is obvious 0192/ET that returned to factory and received body modifications.

17. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I don't see anything particularly "obvious". If nothing else what is the story of the Boringia Bros and how did they come to drive this possibly unfinished car in the 1952 M.M..All I have is the rolling chassis going to Vignale March 26, 1952, test driven by Giovanni Leviazinni May 5,1952 and then sold to Giovanni Viannini in Milan Sept 22 1952.There are a lot of empty days here. Any more ideas. Remember this is all part of the fun. tonga's crew

18. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    I'm looking for a 225S chassis blueprint (any scale).
    If anyone owns it, i would like to pay for a scan.
    Please contact me in PM, thanks.

19. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Go to this web site. It has the info you want plus ALOT MORE. tonga's crew