Brake light on 355 | FerrariChat

Brake light on 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by lotusk, Feb 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    Had a chance to see my brake lights light up today.

The outer red lenses lit up but only the outer half of each lens...is this normal?

2. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    On a UK 355, yes.

3. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    Ta Charlie

Any idea why this is?

Would be much more obvious if the whole lens lit up

4. ready321now

ready321now Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    To solve this, you can unscrew the taillight easily with no tools and adjust the bulb. There's not a solid connection and going over a pothole can change tail light where it only lights up half way like a half moon. When I see this on the outside of my car I simply tap the tail light now with my hand and it comes back on. I think the solution is to add some kind of electrical Greece next to maintain the integrity of the connection. To confirm this happens all the time and I notice it on my friends 355 as well he has the same issue

5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    The inboard half of each assembly are for your rear fog lights.

6. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    What?????

7. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I think that was talking US; EURO is quite different. From a post earlier this year:

"US Taillights:
    2 outers for park & turn signal, clear centers not used.
    2 inners for braking only, clear centers for backup.

Euro Taillights:
    Outer Lamp - Outer ring is the Tail and Brake Lamp, Inner White Circle is the Blinker.
    Inner Lamp - Outer ring is the Rear Fog Lamp, Inner White Circle is the Reverse Lamp."

8. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I bent he electrical connector tab in the socket so the bulb makes better contact and have not had a problem since

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    and Australian Taillights:
    Same as Euro (assuming the Euro Inner Lamp outer red ring only has one half red ring operating). The red ring is half blanked off).

10. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK

So are you saying that your 355 has the inner lens as the brake light and this only lights up half the lens when the brakes are used?

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    No, the inner light is only for rear fog (red) and reverse (white) on my Australian car. Only the outer lamp (outer red ring) is brake. I believe the Euro is the same (according to the Euro wiring diagrams).

Looking at the video link below, there seems to be no brake function on the UK car inner lenses also, either (3 minutes into the video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDeqdXRKSmQ

12. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    Seems that only half the lens lights up on braking on RHD and/or Euro 355's

Strange...

I wonder where the logic is .....must be better for the whole lens to illuminate...more of a warning for car behind.

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #13 Qavion, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    My apologies. After rechecking the wiring diagrams, I think you're right about the Euro.

(EDIT) Now I'm really embarrassed. My Australian RHD car only has one half illuminating also with braking. Previously, I was using a mirror for checking it (in a darkened garage). There was enough diffraction/reflection in the lens to carry the light to the non-illuminated side. I removed the assembly and looked directly at the bulbs with the brake pedal depressed. Only one bulb illuminated.

I'll go back to my cave :p

14. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    Thanks for admitting your confusing mistake

Pretty strange that our brake lights only illuminate half of each lens don't you think?

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Perhaps two bulbs would be just too bright? (from the perspective of wire heating, total lens heating, etc). The lamps are dual element (5W/21W). Perhaps no one made a dual element bulb which had the right power characteristics? It sounds like the US car has single element brake lights (so perhaps no problem finding a suitable bulb). I wonder what the wattage of the US brake lights are?

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Slightly off topic, but has anyone replaced just the lenses of the brake lights, not the whole assemblies.. and what's involved? (any breaking of plastic, re-gluing, etc?)

I see Superformance.co.uk have some lenses for sale

Lights for Ferrari 355 - Superformance

Thanks.
    Cheers
    Ian.

17. darrenliu

darrenliu Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Darren Liu
    there's a way to get the tail light so that the full circle lamp lights up instead of half. it involves adding a wire inside the lamp to get the other side to light up.

18. pilotpete

pilotpete Rookie

Nov 13, 2013
    To clear all the confusion, could someone post the correct configuration for all four rear lights on a UK car please ?

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #19 Qavion, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Perhaps the moderator could delete this thread so we can start again .... :p

Perhaps the UK owners could compare their cars with my right hand drive Australian car (assuming it hasn't been modified). Please feel free to copy and modify the diagram (with Windows Paint or something similar) to suit your car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #20 Steve355F1, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Further to Ian's post above, while only the outer half of the outer red circle lights up Aussie cars also have a strip which lights up with brake application (above the horse).

Not sure if all cars have that.

Personally I wouldn't modify the lights.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Mine is a UK car. The strip above the horse was added for Australian compliance.

Give me a little time and I'll take pics of all the variations, however I'm pretty certain what Ian has posted is correct.
    Our cars are basically the same as UK cars.

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    My eyesight must be getting bad... I never noticed that lip mounted light on my '98 spider. I was wondering what that extra harness was for in the wiring loom which runs along the left hand side of the engine bay. Now I know. Thanks, Steve! It must be spliced in, somewhere.
    Do you know if the spoiler lip lamps are LED or individual bulbs? Thankfully, they all seem to be working.

By the way, are your rear fog light bulbs on the inboard side of the inboard lenses? Refraction and reflection does make the whole red ring light up (to a certain degree), but the owners manual points to the outboard side of the inner red lenses. I know it's not possible to install the lamp holders upside down because they are keyed, but it may be possible to swap left with right(?). I'll amend my diagram if proven incorrect.

Thanks
    Cheers
    Ian.

23. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    No worries, Ian.
    TBH I've never really taken much notice of what's going on back there (as I'm always in the driver's seat) but I'll play around with it and let you know.

I actually think it looks cool with only the outer half lighting up under braking and wouldn't look as good if the whole circle did.