Any Excuse to Drive it? | FerrariChat

Any Excuse to Drive it?

Discussion in '348/355' started by DavidLMcAfee, Dec 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DavidLMcAfee

DavidLMcAfee Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2015
    East TN
    Full Name:
    David McAfee
    #1 DavidLMcAfee, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    So, what I've discovered about having a Ferrari in the garage is that I will take just about any excuse to get behind the wheel.

Low on milk? I'll go pick some up!

What? We need napkins? I'm your man! Back in a few!

We only have six disposable plates left? I better run to the store and get more!

This appears to be a progressive disease as the excuses are getting weaker and weaker, even to the point of fabricating reasons to go out. Stuff like needing to go pick up some copy paper for the latest manuscript while knowing full well that I have a pack of 500 sheets hidden in my desk).

Does this go away? Does anyone else suffer from this malady? Is it just a "new owner" thing? Or am I doomed to spend the rest of my days searching to any reason, any reason at all, to drive my car?

There are certainly worse things... :)

2. Joshieburger

Joshieburger Karting

Aug 21, 2015
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Josh
    With 60k miles on mine Im the same way. I feel bad for the sub 20k owners who dont have the level of freedom we do with cars with miles on them... The only thing that stops me is rain.

3. DavidLMcAfee

Nov 22, 2015
    East TN
    Full Name:
    David McAfee
    What's weird about that is, on any other 25 year old car, 60K miles would be considered almost new.

4. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    Not good on the motor to go and do a 3 mile milk run
    Oil not hot enough....seals partly saturated,etc.

They need a good 20 mile run taken up to high revs and held there for a bit once warmed up properly.

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I used to do the same thing when I first got my Ferrari. :D

Stopped doing it for many years, but the last few months I have been doing it again.

I have driven my car A LOT this year, it's been great. Especially now it's Summer here with ice cold a/c in the Ferrari again. :D

6. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Where does the OP state that when he "pops to the shops" he only drives 3 miles? :confused:

The other week I needed to get some top-up oil for My BMW so I decided My options were:

1) Take the BMW and drive 3 miles across Town to the local motor factors and back home again.

Or:

2) Go fetch the Ferrari, get the roof off, drive 20 miles to the next nearest motor factors, then go for a spin on some of our nice, twisty country roads before begrudgingly heading for home.

In the end I went for the sensible option!

When I got back to My car there were people looking at Me quite incredulously, as though they couldn't believe someone would use a Ferrari to do some shopping!

I have to say that there is something strangely satisfying about using a Ferrari for what would otherwise be a daily mundane chore, and although a 348 TS is completely the wrong model, it still gives Me a bit of a Magnum P.I experience in that, throughout that series, the Ferrari wasn't just taken out at weekends or for special drives, it was used as a car to do daily chores, just as other "lesser" cars are.

A Ferrari can make even the most mundane of tasks special!

7. DavidLMcAfee

Nov 22, 2015
    East TN
    Full Name:
    David McAfee
    Well, to be fair, I...uh...took the scenic route. Milk runs don't usually take an hour...

8. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    Good man

9. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    My milk runs get plenty of high revs and oil temperatures. Another advantage of living in the sticks.

10. CLIVE77

CLIVE77 Karting

Sep 10, 2010
    Upper Clatford, UK
    Full Name:
    Clive Spencer
    My 348 goes to the local store to pick up the Sunday Times - have to say that I warm it up and take the long way round - brings a smile to any Sunday morning. Then the car is good to go for the rest of the day as well.

11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thats funny David...
    Thats exactly what i do any excuse to drive it. It took me an hour and a half and quarter tank of gas to get fast food from the store .5 miles from my house. This sounds like me all the time any excuse.

Lets see people post excuses to drive car.

I personally have had the usual ones, milk, bread,screw driver,light bulb,had to wear nubs off new tires, propane,where the noise is comming from,chase the icecream truck that went by an hour earlier,bacon,eggs,lots of diff foods,tools.

Computer cable,movie,etc etc

12. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Ice cream runs, take the small bin to the recycle center, grocery store, Dollar store, hardware store, they all get their turn with the Ferrari.

I get to meet a lot of new people and they are more apt to approach and ask questions in the mundane locations.
    Alden

13. IAmNotCasey

IAmNotCasey Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2014
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Casey Duncan
    Shopping with a 348 is pretty fun. I love the funny looks when filling the trunk with grocery bags. Also great for those "one more thing" Home Depot runs, though not so good for hauling lumber ;)

Sometimes it's just a run for a cup of coffee though, even though I already have plenty at the house :D

14. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    My last test drive was 180 miles

15. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    If it ever goes away you buy a Prius and finally start saving money. The answer to you original question is NO.

16. ready321now

ready321now Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    High winds, rain or snow, below freezing temps? I leave her in the garage. I usually sit at the end of the driveway, waiting for the temp gauges to rise to close to 11 o'clock...making up places to go. 1/2 tank of fuel? Seems low let'***** the gas station! Looks like I need more detailer too. I drive it very conservatively, warm up the gearbox, and then visit 7500 RPM a few times, taking the long way just so I can floor it under the highway overpasses. It never gets old. I actually have a ten mile tour that takes me under 5 overpasses.
    Oops, the milk got warm. I think there is a cow about 40 miles from here. Let's roll.

17. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    Picked up my 6 year old from school. Why? why NOT?

18. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    When I had a PPI done on a car I didn't buy a conversation with the tech who is a Fcar trained and certified Master tech always rings in my ears. His words: "if you're going to Dunkin Donuts for a cup of coffee, don't go to the one 5 miles away, go to the one 50 miles away"

True story

19. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I am looking forward to taking my kids to school in the Ferrari also.

I take turns now with their day care, unfortunately twins cannot go in the 348 at the same time.

Might be time to buy a Mondial.

20. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I don't bother with the excuse pretense any longer, I just do a point a to point a drive for the sake of it :)

21. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    No, a 400!!

22. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    With this weather in NE and gas prices, go for it! I'm driving a ton and still have only 14K on mine.

23. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci

24. DavidLMcAfee

Nov 22, 2015
    East TN
    Full Name:
    David McAfee
    About a year ago, when I first started giving serious thought to getting a Ferrari, I strongly considered a Mondial cabriolet for that very purpose. The idea of loading the family up into a Ferrari and taking a nice weekend drive is appealing.

In the end, two things turned my attention elsewhere:

1) The back seat of the Mondial is tiny, and not exactly car seat friendly.

2) In my opinion, the 348 is a much better looking car.

I still like the Mondial, though. I could see myself buying one in the future.

25. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I had to drive my F355 for 6 days straight while I lent my daily driver to a family member.
    By the 3rd day the car ran smoother & better than any other time I can every remember in my 10 yrs of ownership.
    This has opened my eyes.
    The F355(my F355) needs to driven.
    & it doesn't need to be driven hard. Just driven.