F12 TDF | Page 11 | FerrariChat

F12 TDF

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Tackleberry, Oct 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carlom001

carlom001 Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2010
    #251 carlom001, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Looking more closely at the various pics coming from Mugello, I am somewhat disappointed that the Giallo TDF is wearing Pirelli P Zeros. I was expecting the same Micheline Sport Cup 2 tyres as worn by my Speciale. Could just be a sizing issue in that Michelin do not produce the Cup 2 at the TDF tyre sizes - hope Michelin do manufacture them for the TDF in the future as a recent track day in the Speciale showed just how grippy these tyres are.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Request Michelin Cup tires on your order and see what happens. Aside from the tire size possibility, it could also just be they had easy access to these tires.

3. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    +1. For the last 50 years, an endless parade of see-ers has seen ghosts of Corvettes in every Ferrari.

4. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    I take the exact opposite view....... Over the years, Corvettes have been trying way too hard to look more and more like Ferrari's. What's the old saying .."Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

5. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Mr. Massini. The picture with the model is helpful (aside from it being a pretty lady) because it gives you a human reference.

6. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Partly, would've liked it more with the original rear window and the sections surrounding the exhausts are a bit too "Mansory" (Man I'm sorry) for my liking.

Rest is very nice.

7. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    Don't like the looks.

8. jino1225

jino1225 Rookie

May 10, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Where do u see values going

9. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Same as the boy band O D

10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    a 50k premium would be a screaming bargain. Prices are going to go up, just like they did on the other special limited series cars. No valid comparison can be made between USA and European prices and availability. Now and into the future the USA cars will continue to trade at a substantial premium over list price; if you can even find one for sale.

11. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I think that is the point. Censorship of potential owners has become more and more severe and whilst there will obviously be leakage, I suspect the importance of this car will only become more apparent in the near future and thus those lucky enough to have them will continue to hold. I know I will.

12. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    All there for a reason. The rear window shape change is to use less glass and save weight, the exhaust boxes to protect the bodywork from the super high exhaust temps this engine creates.

13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Why would this engine create so much more heat than the F140FC engine with so little additional output? I think more likely the exhaust area cooling vents were eliminated from the fender tops to make room for the wheel well exhaust gills. The vents were then relocated to the exhaust tips creating a large box look. I think this F12 will do a similar job at heating the garage on cool days as does the Berlinetta!

As far as the window - you either like it or not. Seems like it shaved a couple pounds and hopefully re-channels the rinse water a little better so its not so hard to dry without dripping into the back area when you open the lid. - best

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgqz8aXNPFU[/ame]

Definitely needs to be louder IMO ;)

15. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
  16. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Not being an engineer, I am only repeating what I was told at the presentation. Personally, I was iffy about the exhaust boxes until I saw them when they seemed more three dimensional and a bit better, but I love the rear window and let's face it to shave this amount of weight they had to take it wherever they could find it. The consequential change in feeling in the cabin due to it and the rear side windows is fairly dramatic.

17. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    The smoke pouring out of the rear wheels arches while doing donuts will make an excellent party piece, that alone is worth the price of the car :)

Love everything about this car except the front bumper. Wish they had made it a little more elegant like the F12.

18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Well Tim, the problem is that the LaFerrari which has an even more highly tuned version of this engine doesn't have those exhaust "shields".

19. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I agree, but it cannot be a pure aesthetic choice and I specifically questioned this point. Little on this car is, it's virtually all there for a reason.

20. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZTDdFbapEg[/ame]

21. alfred1976

alfred1976 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 26, 2015
  22. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My goodness. With that sound who cares about the exhaust boxes!

In all seriousness, if you are going to question Ferrari on this point you might as well question the rest of the package. I don't see how you can compare between cars because they are different shapes and perhaps there really is an aero reason for it.

I think it looks great. And the sound is otherworldly.

When the next model's special edition comes out and its a turbo motor we won't be so fortunate to hear such sounds!

23. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    All understood. Unfortunately I have this engineering "curse" for the last forty or so years! I believe this engine could actually run cooler given that they presumably opened up the exhaust to get more sound. Less restriction in and out for a four stroke can be very beneficial. Without venting in the rear end of the body though you would trap the heat by the mufflers. I know my F12 is quite warm in the rear after a run so it is easy to see that those vents in the top of the rear quarters were functional.

I would find it interesting to start a thread on all the finite design changes that have been indicated but not really discussed. Not sure if anyone else would be interested though. For instance, I think mechanical tappets can be very service intensive as I adjust them on my race bike and there are only four not forty-eight. Also, the variable length trumpets look neat but would like to see more of how it was implemented. If a hydraulic actuating seal were to dry out and leak I wonder if fluid could be sucked directly into the cylinders. Can't wait till we see more as this beauty is revealed.