365 Distributor cap needed | FerrariChat

365 Distributor cap needed

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rustytractor, Sep 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Hi all - I know you've all missed my sardonic wit and subtle humour and I apologise for the long absence but life's been manic and I've had no time to drive or even think about the 400 for ages and Howard (aka squidmark) bless him has been working his way through my 365 which is basically good to go now except for a cracked distributor cap.

Has anyone got one available for a sensible price ? Ideally new but a good used one would be fine.

I've had a quick scan through the the 365/400 threads and it appears nothing much changes - Bundas's thread is a real heartbreaker and I really feel for anyone who finds themself in this awful position.

Price wise it looks like there's some movement for our cars but that's the classic car world at the moment.

I'll try to join in more now some of the chaos in my life has calmed down.

2. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
  3. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Didn't they have dual dizzy's :confused:

4. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary

Hello, the 365 GT4 2+2 engine theoretically has dual ignition caps, one cap for each bank.
    The website Ferrari Parts - all Ferrari parts, accessories and components shows this part (MARELLI # 70388401).

5. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Yep - has dual distributors.

One cap is fine, the other not so fine.

I've suggested to Howard that we wedge some chewing gum in the gap.

The comment wasn't well received!

6. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Hi,

My mechanic agrees with Howard, no repairs to be attempted on a cracked distribution cap, the only reasonable option is to replace with a new one.

7. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    I needed a cap for my 400iA (single distributor) and the best I could come up with was Algar Ferrari. The price looked to be just a little less than the rest of the ones I found and I figured they were about as reputable as you can find.

Al
    '84 400iA s/n 50605

8. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Obviously my humour re using chewing gum to fix a broken cap didn't translate into American very well !!!

9. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    I think I once heard or read a v12 e type runs a similar set up but have nothing of any substance to back that up. Sure it's not the same part but maybe could be fitted to get the engine going as the jag parts are peanuts to buy relatively.
    Either that or upgrade to electronic ignition and let me know as I am sorely tempted to do so.... then would just have to swap the carbs for injectors. .... and upgrade the starter.... and upgrade the alternator. Oh and air conditioning. ....

10. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Or just park the car in the garage and catch a bus ?

11. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Russel ..I have indeed purchased a brand new after-market Jaguar distributor cap. I want to install it pronto, but, If you would be willing to send me a picture of where each cylinder wire goes on the cap, I will install it and test it out, and then I will gladly furnish the info, source,and specs on it, as I am loathe to disseminate info until I know that it works. Thank you ever so much. Jq.

12. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    Any update on whether this worked?

13. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    I've been so busy that I haven't had a second to look at this so Jaques, I apologise for not getting back to you on this - to be totally honest I forgot all about it (sorry). I'm moving all of my cars over the next few days - I was building a large 10-12 car garage in my garden but that ground to a halt for various reasons (and wouldn't have been big enough now anyway as I've ends up with way more cars than that) so have been in a rented unit which I've had to leave as its being demolished to make flats.

There was a traumatic move to a temporary small unit a couple of weeks ago, now everything has to be moved again into their hopefully permanent 8500 sq ft home - it takes bloody ages but, other than the easily rectified fuel leak in the 400, at least they all ran ok.

Then from next Monday onward I have jury service for (I believe) two weeks after which time I may actually have 5 minutes to breath !

If you still need me to work out the wiring please let me know.

14. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    Exciting times
    What cars do you have now??

15. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #15 rustytractor, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Getting a bit stupid really - I'm not exactly sure but around 15 ish. Here's a picture of some I moved today, others being moved next day or so.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Russ
    ime here ! All is good, just had a wee look on the forum, hadn't for ages! and it doesn't mean that I don't care. I will always really be a 400 guy. Full stop.
    and theres Russell with a bit of 'banter' good stuff.
    keep going.
    Cheers
    Alastair

17. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    If it's a spot the odd one out competition I'd say it was the white porsche. What is that a 968 club sport?