Windshield protetion | FerrariChat

Windshield protetion

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by mas8002mi, Sep 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mas8002mi

mas8002mi Karting

Sep 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Mahe
    Hello,
    I just got a 458 Italia, and I was trying to find a place where I can order the windshield protector.
    I had a clearplex protector for my 911, and was very helpful in preventing atleast 5-6 cracks on the windshield.
    I am trying to order one from their website, but not able to, and also not getting any response from customer service via email.

Can anyone give me advise on any other company that makes these?
    Thanks,
    Mas.

2. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Oddly one of the comments on their infomercial says they don't return phone calls etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8pW3_zFUr8
    Why don;t you just get your installer to get it for you. There are probably middle man vendors out there that you don't know of.

3. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    I had one installed for a trip I'm on in Cali with 12 F-cars racing through Yosemite, Tahoe and Monterey.. it has already saved my windshield from being sandblasted.

4. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Suntek and Clearplex make film cover for windshields. Find a local installer by asking your Fcar dealer who they use.

5. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Right. "Don't leave home without it." Even if you are lucky enough to avoid the crack or chipped windscreen, you will get pitting.

6. justthebest

justthebest Formula Junior

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I wasn't happy with the clearplex product - too many scratches / too much distortion too soon. Had them take it off.

7. mas8002mi

mas8002mi Karting

Sep 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Mahe
    My dealer does not know of anyone doing windshield protection in the area ....... :(

For my Porsche, I had ordered the film online, and had my clear bra guy install it.

Clear bra guy also does not want to put his own windshield film, as he cannot guarantee it!

8. mas8002mi

mas8002mi Karting

Sep 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Mahe
    Still no luck..... any other suggestions :(

9. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    I had my clearplex done at protective film solutions in Scottsdale. I am pretty happy with the installation. I find the minor distortion to be less annoying the the pitting that occurs. Maybe you can contact them and they may know of an installer in your area. Only cost $500 for the install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    Does the windshield glass actually pit? I've never had that on a car before. Can you tell me more?

11. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    It happens a lot in AZ from sand and smaller rocks hitting the windshield. Not enough to break the windshield, just enough to chip it and cause imperfections

12. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm looking into this as well....my 2015 already has a few small windshield pits. So unfortunate but I want to prevent new ones!

13. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    I'd suggest calling Baine at Dozadesigns.com to see if he can recommend a Suntek windshield film installer.

14. mas8002mi

mas8002mi Karting

Sep 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Mahe
    not able to order clearplex online. Local installers not willing to put their products on the windshield due to complaints of haziness within a few months of install.

15. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    I installed many clearplex windshield skins for my personal cars, my brother in law's cars, and many of his friends' cars and there's absolutely no haziness anywhere whatsoever. Actually, it's very difficult to tell there's the skin layer on the windshield if it is done correctly.

16. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
  17. Jdriver

Jdriver Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Wish I had protection before our trip, my new windshield was $6k, insurance covered but stil a pain.

18. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    That stinks Joe.. I just got my car back yesterday and had it washed.. the windshield protection absolutely saved me.. it got completely sandblasted.. I need to remove it now and hope nothing made it through to the windshield.

btw/ we're having brunch today with Vince and Rhondi and a few others. Let us know when you make it down to Florida.

19. Jdriver

Jdriver Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Awesome. When you see folks from our trip say hello for us. I'll be back down to Tampa later in Oct, then again in Nov for a few days. Once Dec comes we both will be down quite often. Would love to connect with you guys and relive our fabulous Cali trip.!

20. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    We'll definitely send some hellos! I have some pics of you and Mo standing in that big tree.. need to send it to you. Sent you a PM.

btw/ took my windshield protector off today after the Ferrari brunch.. just one little spec made it through.. it was worth the $300 to put it on.

21. mas8002mi

mas8002mi Karting

Sep 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Mahe
    can I use the regular clear bra film that is used for the headlights on the windshield???

was thinking of buying the headlight film in bulk and use it for the windshield.....

22. homesite

homesite Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Fort Lauderdale Area
    Full Name:
    Scott
    ''

No, Material is thicker and will not scratch when wipers are used.

23. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    Are you still having problem finding windshield skin material?

24. mas8002mi

mas8002mi Karting

Sep 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Mahe
    Yes, still not able to find one for my 458. Installers want to have my car to put the clearplex on. But unfortunately not able to send me a pre-cut piece.
    And there is no installer near me- closest is like 4 hrs from where I live in Michigan.....

25. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    Braygroup may have pre-cuts.

Home - http://www.braygroup.com/

Clearplex is difficult to put on the curved 458 windshield, you need a very good installer or you will keep going back to get it replaced.