Control Arm Removal Process | FerrariChat

Control Arm Removal Process

Discussion in '308/328' started by wildcat326, Aug 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    This may seem like a stupid question, but can you just pull A-arms, or do you have to take off the shocks, rotor, or half-shafts, etc.?

More importantly, IF you have to remove the peripherals, in what order?

My control arms need new bushings and powdercoating, and I remember reading that you can damage the CV boot flanges if the axle just droops down unsupported, so I want to make sure I dismantle properly. Thanks.

2. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    yes you need to remove everything, shocks, sway bar, hub, brakes, etc. don't forget to take note of the spacers, not only the ones for the ball joints on the front end but the lower control arms hangars have spacers as well. the order can be a little different for whomever is removing the parts but usually
    rear - rotors, brakes, backing plates,half shafts, hubs, sway bars, lower arms, upper arms

front - rotors, brakes, backing plates, tie rods,ball joints, shocks, lower arms, upper arms.

and the bushings all have a spot weld on them to secure to the control arms,

when reassembling do not lockdown the arms, set the car on it wheels and let sit for a few days then lock them down or your ride height will be off.

we just finished the suspension on a 76 GTB if you would like some pics of the process send me your email

Wade

3. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Very important. Shims and spacers everywhere. Not to scare you...just take note of where they are so it goes back together as it came off.

Once you start the disassembly process, it becomes obvious what needs to come off first, then second, etc.

4. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Dammit, messing with the brakes is the LAST thing I wanted to work on. My arms need restoration and bushings, but really I just wanted to pull them to get the fuel tanks and maybe front header out. I'm working on the fuel system and exhaust rebuild at the moment, and wanted to repaint the tanks and ceramic coat the headers. Only way I could think of for getting reasonable access without pulling the motor.

How do the hub and rotor come out? Isn't there another specialized ring nut in there somewhere?

5. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    The brake caliper spacers are probably the most important of the bunch to make sure they are replaced correctly. They are not all the same thickness so make sure of which ones are place where or you will have issue with caliper alignment with the rotor.

6. Basal Skull

Basal Skull Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    #6 Basal Skull, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  7. mikepama90

mikepama90 Rookie

May 12, 2014
    I think technically you don't have to remove much, everything is pretty simple like a normal car. the only tedious part is just keeping track of the spacers between the caliper and hub.

8. krismik

krismik Rookie

Aug 21, 2013
    Germany, north
    #8 krismik, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Not that I want to argue, but I just pulled mine to replace the front shock bushings on both sides.
    I did disconnect the caliper, but I probably didn't have to.
    rotor & such all stayed together.