Practical differences? - Mondial 8 vs Mondial QV | FerrariChat

Practical differences? - Mondial 8 vs Mondial QV

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by davemqv, Jul 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi All,
    I'm looking at an old Mondial 8 coupe. I've heard generally disparaging remarks about the older Mondials but not much in the way of specifics. I had a Mondial QV convertible back in the 90's and honestly it was a great car. Ran like a dream and had enough pep for my tastes. I've now taken a liking to the coupe and the price is right these days, especially on the older 8's, but wondering if they're really as bad as people say they are.

I know the early Mondial is far from the fastest car in the world. I'm asking more about maintenance costs than performance. I've heard there are wiring harness or other electrical issues? Are these fixable or an ongoing problem? If they are fixable, what would I be looking at to do it?

Any advice or other things to look out for would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Dave

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I'm not at my resources but there's a big concern amongst the 308 community regarding the sodium filled valves. The Mondial 8 uses the same motor, although I've never heard anyone mention the valves here (that I recall).

If you find a good example you're already a winner. Yes they're slow, but so were most all cars of the same year. Also, it's really a GT instead of a sports car.

Personally, I love them (except in red, but that's growing on me).

3. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I know folks who have the 8 and enjoy them fully. Always heard they sound great, are great cars, have the look. I like the black bumpers which is the same to the QV, changing for the 3.2. There is a fuse box upgrade available which many people have done on their own. It is quite an old car at this time. The other issue that pops up is the sodium filled valves. This goes for the Mondial and early 308. There have been some valves that break causing damages. If the heads ever need to come off many replace with solid valves. I'm not sure this is a statistically relevant issue. I have no direct experience with it. I don't think there is anything there that would stop me from enjoying an 8. And they usually come with a decent discount over the other models. I would probably caution getting a heavy fixer. You'll put the same money into it as another model but in the end it will have less value. Of course if time treats the cars to steep appreciation the difference will not be so relevant. Rust proofing is also now coming to mind. I think the treatment of metal started in 85ish.

Check out any car well and if you get one that has a history of being driven it will likely continue. If you are fortunate you'll find a car that already has the fuse block done, all cooling and fuel lines and maybe even upgraded valves. That would be a sweet deal. None of the cars today are fast, but they feel and sound great. Good luck.

4. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    The only technical issue I have ever heard of are the sodium valves. The sodium filled valves have long been used to provide cooling to hot exhaust valves since the sodium liquefies and spreads out the heat. I THINK thats what they do.

The problem arises if carbon builds up on those valves which insulates the valve and mitigates the cooling effect and the valve separate. In my estimation almost all such engines have such carbon build up since most of them have Bosch Kjets which were notorious in this respect on two valve engines - and almost no one drives them hard enough to routinely blow out that carbon [The famous ITALIAN TUNE UP]. Thats the bad news.

The good news is the only way to over heat those valves to failure is to drive them hot and hard for a long time. The other good news is the carbon can be removed. At least in BMWs of the era using crushed walnuts. I think they were simply fed into the air intake while the car was running at fast idle.

I agree with PV that the statistical probability of a valve failure in a daily driver approaches zero. On the other hand, if the car has cold drivabilty problems or lean surge on light throttle acceleration it might be carbon build up. The carbon absorbs and then expels raw fuel giving this effect. Lots and lots and lots of carbon cleaner Might Help! I did this for about 5,000 miles on my four valve engine!

A similar effect can happen with air leaks in hardened rubber injector mounts. You check that by spraying something like starting fluid or even WD40 onto each injector and observe if the idle changes. Scrupulous people replace the mounts. Unscrupulous people like me just dripped some power steering stop leak on them and it went away after a couple of week. A seriously unscrupulous person, such as myself, would have unpacked some high temp silicon caulk!

But thats just me.

5. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    The 1981 two valve engines (all 308s) consume a lot of oil even if they are not worn. This was fixed in the later engines when they went to nikasil liners I believe. The window motors are pathetic. I think the water pumps were also a bit short lived not sure if this was fixed in the later models or not but there is some kind of aftermarket "robust" solution. The unique michelin tyres are not great and replacement tyres are hugely expensive. But the main difference is the vehicle has the same pickup as a VW minivan.

6. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hahaha. That's pretty good. I'm curious to see how it compares to the QV. That car felt very "Ferrari-like" back in the day.

This doesn't all sound as bad as I'd feared. I may be about to royally p*ss my wife off again. Luckily she doesn't believe in divorce! Thanks everyone. Very appreciative of any more input.

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Plus a VW bus doesn't make the right vroom vroom sounds

8. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen

that means youll get alot of surfer dudes talking to you and the occasional hippie girl..........but whats wrong with that !

9. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    As the owner of one of the last of the QV coupe' s made (sept 85), I would certainly support looking beyond the early 8's. Yes, you still have a fairly narrow power band between 4 and 6,000 rmps when the engine is wailing, but it is a wonderful rush just the same. And it does have 30 more horses than the 8 which does make a difference. But then you know that from your cabriolet days.

You wont get head snapping boost as you would from more powerful engines yet that is the point of a lovely GT. You get the same simplicity of care, along with the electrical problems and all the other things we put up with to have these lovely machines.

I think the more compelling case for a QV is that they are still at a reasonable price. It also represents Ferrari's further years of experience building Mondials.

10. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #10 Wade, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Only a few US Coupes to begin with so "buy the best that you can find" leaves one with only a handful or two. ;)

After all these years probably not too many left...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Horsepower, torque, and acceleration. Those are the most important "practical differences" between the two models.
    When the 1st Mondial was tested by R & T (or was it C & D?), the article was titled, "Could This Be The Modena Olds?".

12. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    Since they are technically so close, here is the case for a QV rather than the 8.
    The price differential between the two is established for a long time now, I'd assume it will also stay that way for the future,
    therefore you spent almost the same for maintaining them (except for double the valve adjustments or parts thereof). Those bills will be a higher percentage of the car's value so why would you not want to go with the QV?

As always...there may just not too many be around within reasonable reach, found it always eye opening to actually inspect and drive in person, too often what looked like a good candidate on the description felt just "wrong" and vice versa,

cheers

braq

and yes I am biased, 83 QV coupe.

13. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    seriously, we have 8 vs qv snobs on this site ???????? jokejokejoke

If the price is right there is not much difference if its a running car

you obviously know what the Mondial is about

unfortunately because of the back seats the 8 became the stepchild its the same car as an early 308 and I dont hear those 3x8 guys bellyaching

14. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks everyone. All things being equal I'd also buy a QV coupe. However, I'm a colour snob and right now the only QV's I can find aren't the right colour. Putting a $20,000 paint job on a $25,000 car might be a little nuts, even for me, so I thought I should open my mind to the earlier model. If I'm honest with myself, as long as it sounds and handles like a Ferrari that's cool with me. I'm not 21 and single anymore, so the likelihood of me testing the limits of these cars, especially living in the city, is pretty remote. Plus, I've already got another car that goes too fast. ;)
    Thanks for tipping me off to the known issues.

15. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ha! True.

16. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    I'd go for it. We don't buy these cars because of their power or speed, we buy them because of the mystic of owning an Italian exotic. And I think most people agree that all Ferraris are exotics. Certainly the average public people do.

I have an 85 QV coupe. I love this car. Performance doesn't matter all that much - given that the overall driving experience is fantastic. I love the sound of the engine when it's screaming above 5K RPM.

Personally, I like the Coupe over the CV. I like the subtle curves that show a little better with a hardtop. And, the AC works great. I drove mine today in 93F heat - and it cooled great.

I took my Mondi to Cars and Coffee last week. There were over 500 cars and thousands of people present. At our show, they reserve the front row for exotics. Probably 5-8 modern Ferraris (430, 458), about 5-8 Lambos, a P1 and several other Mclarens, a 918, a really nice Dino, and a brand new Rolls. My Mondial was the only "Vintage" Ferrari present (excepting the Dino). My car is not a show car, it's a nice 10 footer. Lots of rock chips on the front (it was tracked by previous owner), and the interior is looking tired. Even so, the old girl attracted as much (if not more) attention than the newer exotics. No one asked if it was an 8, a QV, a 3.2 or a t. They just wanted to talk about what it's like to drive, what it sounds like (I started it). Lots of questions about originality. Not a single question about what it cost. Although, I did get into a couple of discussions on cost of insurance. I even had a couple of comments that it was nice to see something different and unique with the exotics. All-in-All a fun experience (I was a little worried before the show, knowing that my old girl would be lined up with new exotics - some of whom paid more in sales tax, than my entire car cost).

Someone mentioned above that the 3x8 guys don't seem to make any real distinctions between carbed, 2v, 4v, etc. (they do when discussing amongst themselves), but in terms of desirability, except for the glass cars - they are all pretty much equal.

If performance is the end goal, then I'd wait a bit and try to score a 348 or 355. There was a 348 on F-Chat, recently, going for $29K. Otherwise, I'd think I'd enjoy the Mondial 8, just as much as I enjoy my QV.

I haven't broken it to the wife yet, but, I'm looking for a project Mondial. An 8 would do just fine - especially if it's a bargain price.

Sid

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Dave, check out my extensive collection of reviews about the 8 vs the QV - I hope it helps you in your quest.

Although quite frankly - I think ALL Mondials have their Pros/Cons - the only thing that that is common to me is I love them all....

I hope to welcome you to the brotherhood soon..

Cheers

18. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    I have had my 1982 Mondial 8 for 8 years and have put 17 000 miles on that in that time period-- it now has almost 49 000 on the clock. Fusebox is an issue if it has not been upgraded and even with upgraded fusebox/relay panel it is advised to use a separate relay for the fuel pump as the connectors are marginal for the amperage. I got mine from GT Autoparts in AZ. Car and Driver or Road and track when they road tripped it new complained of the smell of burning wires. I upgraded to used later Mondial 16 inch rims to solve the TRX availability and cost issue and be able to use modern tire technology. It is not a scalded cat on acceleration but does have respectable get up and go and is an absolute blast to drive. It was one of the faster cars of 1982.

19. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    I'm in the same boat as you. My Ferrari dream was: it HAD to be a Mondial and in no way a red one.
    Went out to for a QV, came home with an 8, just fell in love with the colour combo (grigio / blue) which turned out the be the only one worldwide I know of. After she will be ready I will have her as a cruiser. As for the crazy stuff: Been there, done that.
    Best
    Jurgen

20. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    "My greatest fear is that when I die my wife's selling my car for what I said I'd paid for it ."

Hahahahaha! Yeah, and my watches, too. I had better go first or she's going to take a bath on everything. Lol.

21. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    My 27YO son is making sure that my Will has the Ferrari going to him. Likewise, my daughter has made sure we put in the Wills that my Wife's jewelry goes to her. Everything else evenly split.

Although - I am having bizarre thoughts of being buried in my Mondial!!! It's been done before (not a Mondial, but others have been buried in Ferraris).

Sid

22. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    I have owned a 360 Spider now for over 2 years , in TDF Blue /Crema and is in absolutely superb condition .. fully got the Ferrari bug .

About 6 months ago i also fancied getting an older ferrari as a project .. I saw quite a few 308 GT4 which needed huge work - then 2 months ago i came across an 83 Mondial QV in Rosso with full biscuit leather interior which has been in dry storage for approx 8 years but not run for 3 years, . The bodywork and paint is fabulous as it was restored fully in around 2000 { lots of photos of rebuild/spray } just needs a good detail polish ; the interior is in time warp condition and looks as if it has not been sat in but i will reconnollise ; engine 48000 genuine miles , theres also loads of service history / bills / original order and delivery notes / original tools .. the car basically needs recommisioning for road use .. I intend carrying out a full fuel system/ injector/engine service including cam belt change before attemting to start .. then its full brakes and clutch check/ overhaul

Starting the project in 3 weeks time and intend running a thread to update progress ..

I would appreciate any initial advice or guidance, particularly around the electrical system as it looks from previous posts that this can be problematic .. Upgrades etc

Thanks in advance