This has GOT to be the highest mileage 458 out there... | FerrariChat

This has GOT to be the highest mileage 458 out there...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Flash G, May 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    #1 Flash G, May 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. supratime

supratime Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2006
    I think it was a rental/track car. Either way that's pretty rock bottom pricing.

3. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    True. Maybe one of those "track day/drive a Ferrari!" companies. Probably means it was beaten to hell.

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #4 GuyIncognito, May 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    check out the sandblasting on the black plastic on the front bumper. that thing has definitely seen track time and/or extended high speed highway use.

still, proof that these cars can be driven... ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
  6. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Noticed that. Was thinking the same thing.

7. ferrari_envy

ferrari_envy Karting

Sep 5, 2009
    Pretty neat seeing a high mileage Ferrari.

In regards to "rock bottom price" , I wonder how much repairs it would need down the road.

8. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    There are a couple >100k miles examples out there. There was a red one with large tacky wheels for sale with over 100k miles for ~$125k. As someone else mentioned, the high mileage examples are suspected to be ex track rentals / experience cars.

9. osuav8r

osuav8r Karting

Feb 16, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Any guesses as to how reliable a car like this would be? In a way the regular use was probably good for it as all the fluids have been regularly circulated and warmed up, but this is a LOT of use for a Ferrari. Sweetheart of a car or a hand grenade?

10. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    It could go either way really. I wouldn't be afraid of owning a 458 (or any high performance car) with 100k highway commuter miles that has been serviced and cared for with an open checkbook. But a track "experience" car that has been driven by amateur men and women who step into the car with minimal instruction on how to drive it would really take a leap of faith to believe that the car is ready for years of trouble free motoring. If I were local to Celebrity Cars I would love to see the car and possibly drive it.

11. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I just wonder what happened to the engine at 22k.

12. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    Known crank issue for the early cars and they replaced motors.

13. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I drove that car, I think, one time when I was in Vegas doing a super car tour XL with World Class Driving. They told me they were gonna retire it soon. That was December 2014, it had over 70k miles then. I don't believe it was used on tracks during the supercar tour duty, but I could be wrong. LOL mostly highway miles I guess.
    The gearbox was all screwed up, it shifted terribly. Whacked you in the back of the head with the head each with each up shift. I hated that one. They used a black 458 Italia also on that same drive, it was a night and day difference. Then again, the black one had about HALF of the miles.

14. ferrari_envy

ferrari_envy Karting

Sep 5, 2009
    Interesting take on it. So the transmission showed issues. Again, this could be either the high mileage or the negligence of drivers.

15. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    That's sad to hear. Part of me wanted to hear the car drove perfect so I could find a reason to fly out to Vegas and check it out.

16. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well, it already went through an engine and has a mile high stack of maintenance and repairs. My guess is not very reliable.

I remember asking to see repairs and records for a 90K mile red one a while ago. Had tons of repairs as well, a lingering coolant leak that was never resolved or head gasket issue.

I wouldn't want to own one of these cars.

17. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    These cars make sense. You're going to lose money on depreciation and repairs whether the car is 80K miles at $120K or 10K miles and $190K. I wouldn't even be surprised if the true cost of ownership was pretty similar, not to mention you could sell a 10K mile car 100x easier.

Why take the ****ty car?

18. ferrari_envy

ferrari_envy Karting

Sep 5, 2009
    No reason to take a bad car but you can have a very nice track car.

19. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Track miles are another story.

If this car was tracked for 90k, then you are looking at a sweet 180,000 mile car.

Remove bottom of wallet becuase car will be a bottomless pit.

20. Rebelinst

Rebelinst Rookie

Apr 27, 2015
    Albany, NY
  21. Flash G

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
  22. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I told my wife about this car last night while we were driving to dinner. I asked her to guess how much the asking price would be given the mileage. She didn't really have a serious guess. When I told her about $135k, she balked. She was thinking sub-100's, which probably isn't realistic. Regardless, I told her I wouldn't personally touch the car at any price. Since it's the car from WCD, and I have driven it and hated driving it (yes, I hated driving a 458 Italia - but just this one in particular), I'd call that not passing the test drive. The gearbox in this specific car *ALMOST* turned me off to all DCT's in the 458, but that would be an unfair generalization. This gearbox was so jerky and clunky, it really made me uncomfortable. Since then, I have driven the 458 numerous times and feel much much better about the whole package.

They didn't tell me the engine was replaced at 22k miles - doubtless the first engine was beat up pretty badly.

In my SuperCar Tour XL, we had a black GTR, a black 458 Italia, a silver Gallardo 550-2, and this yellow 458. I drove the 458 from the Supercar Garage out to the National Park area (I will also testify that driving in the National Park takes place on very dusty, rocky roads, and all of the cars were relentlessly pummeled with road grit for more than an hour - I'd cry if that happened to my own car). In the convoy, I was the one getting all the looks and thumbs up, probably because my yellow car stood out like crazy. Not terribly unlike driving my own Rosso Ferrari around my home town.

I love the 458 Italia. I just don't love this specific 458 Italia. Again, my test drive was in December 2014 and the car had >70k miles on it back then.

23. Rebelinst

Rebelinst Rookie

Apr 27, 2015
    Albany, NY
    For what its worth on the GT-R, they just change needs to change the oil and tires with people beating on them everyday. One of my coworker has a GT-R, it's his DD. He had had it for 4 years and says the same thing.

I talked to the mgr about the yellow F-car. He said Motor costed about $90k to replace. I can't imagine buying any car that has basically been a rental.

24. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
  25. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    When I see a car like this, with this many miles, but seemingly well maintained, I smile inside, and LOVE the fact someone drove it like it deserves to be driven! A+