Left Foot Braking | FerrariChat

Left Foot Braking

Discussion in '360/430' started by asl911, Apr 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asl911

asl911 Rookie

Dec 2, 2013
    Cheshire
    Full Name:
    Andy Lee
    Hi Guys, I'm just curious as to whether any of you drive your F1 cars using both feet? I have started doing left foot breaking and I am shocked as to how much faster I can get through the bends. My mate has an F430 and he is struggling to keep up.

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Well, if you hadn't broken your mate's left foot . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Title fixed... i.e. 'Braking" instead of "Breaking"

Mike

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

lots of people, me included, doing it all the time on regular roads, especially when in a hurry. it would allow u to drive faster while retaining the reflection time while driving normally.

on track it is a must!

5. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I only do this on the track. Most of the time, when I'm driving my Ferrari on the road, I'm pretty much just relaxing and enjoying the cruise.

6. slayerofsouls

slayerofsouls Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2014
    Somewhere
    Doesnt make sense on public roads.

I want to savour the drive.

7. bigsquat

bigsquat Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2013
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I always drive with 2 feet. More comfortable for me and the reaction time is so much better.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I hate following left foot brakers. Brake light is always flashing so you have no clue what they are doing. Brake pad life and fuel economy go to pot, as well.

Great technique for the track, though, and note that F1 cars (the real ones) usually have a center divider so left foot braking is all they can do. Cannot reach the brake pedal with the right foot.

9. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    100% agree. Left foot brakers drive me nuts and it prematurely wears the brakes.

10. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Well as all profis drive with left foot braking as its much quicker, unless you have a stick you are going SLOWER if you don't LFB it as you can't get back on the throttle as quick

11. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    LFB also allows you to apply a little brake while still on the throttle, transferring weight to the front wheels under turn-in. In some corners it's all that's needed to stay flat on the gas.

e.g.
    Turn 1 Road Atlanta
    Turn 1 Mid Ohio

12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Great discussion, and I agree with Taz.

Dan

13. Ferrari Nube

Ferrari Nube Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    British Columbia
    Good for the track and by a driver who actually knows what they're doing! I laugh as well, when I see this being done by drivers on regular roads.....as many of them tend to ride their brakes!

cheers
    FN.

14. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mike , really ? Give me a brake . :D

15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Taz sums up my feelings. I did try it for the track and I am just not coordinated enough with my feet- I think if I practiced it, I'd get it, and it is definitely effective for the track but for the street- nah- I'm like the other guys here who say just enjoy the cruise - sometimes its a sporty cruise- but its not like at the track.

16. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I've been left foot braking since my vintage Indycar days. So, yes..... the CS gets some left foot braking!

You will find that you can brake later, balance the car better on throttle and brake through the corners and just generally have more fun! It is definitely a different skill set, but worth the effort.

17. bonjoh

bonjoh Rookie

Jun 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I find it very useful and now that I'm comfortable with it I wouldn't consider not using my left foot to brake when driving with a purpose.

On the track (for example in my 430 challenge) I always LFB, it opens up more options of control

For rallying on loose surfaces, especially with adjustable brake bias, it's very useful also for a manual gearbox car- allowing the rear to lock up/break traction under weight shift during turn in. Very useful with a well timed application of the brakes to increase the pendulum in a "Scandinavian Flick" and being able to go directly on throttle to sustain the slide and powersteer the direction of the front end.

On the road I rarely use the technique, but there was a time when learning to use my left foot that I would LFB all the time. In the beginning using LFB on public roads in daily life is useful to develop the proper feel and coordination- but start off in a controlled place like an empty parking lot. You will feel like a teenager learning to drive all over again, not smooth to say the least.

18. GianiCakes

GianiCakes Karting

Apr 5, 2014
    Switzerland
    Whenever I do this I always feel like my body is twisted. The pedal position isn't really set up for it so I find it uncomfortable for prolonged road use.

19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Well put.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

20. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    +1 bonjoh

I just began left foot braking on track, it does add a new level of car control. And I also used my pdk car on the street to train my left foot, it was very dumb and lacked sensitivity. IMHO as a technique on the road - not useful- if your driving fast enough for it to help then your not far from an accident. At that speed through corners you will not be able to avoid the silly unexpected road stuff. Remember how people love to point to the crazy irresponsible exotic car drivers when we do something bad.

21. bigsquat

bigsquat Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2013
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Having a quicker reaction time to the brakes is helpful anytime and anywhere you need to apply the brakes in a hurry. I started doing this in 1993 after a motorcycle accident left me unable to use my right to brake and maybe having already been a drummer for many years made it very easy for me to do without any of the issue many of you seem to have.
    I know its quicker and I think it is much more comfortable for me as well so I continue to do it without using up a set of pads every 500 miles. I don't think hovering over the brakes is a left foot braking issue but a bad driver issue, just easier to do with your left foot.

22. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I find LFB useful especially on some cars with weird paddles positions like the Maserati Gransport or the Jaguar X-type; the brakes and throttle are very close to each other to a point I almost feel dangerous not using LFB.