308 windows.... ugh | Page 3 | FerrariChat

308 windows.... ugh

Discussion in '308/328' started by sfrazier, Mar 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AN-M

AN-M Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    André
    I'm not concerned about originality, but Birdmans fuse block is pretty nasty looking and isn't much of an upgrade if you fix the OEM.

2. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Good thing there's a pretty vinyl cover obscuring that area :)

3. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I've talked to Sam. He plans on doing another run - but timing isn't set. He says he'll post both here and in the boxer forum when he does.

4. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt

embarrassed for me? Lol really why? Ridiculous. You must have better things to be upset about. I owe ZERO apology, period!!! I never said anything bad about the man, I'm sure he is a nice guy, his intentions are good, but his product is crap.

But they aren't quality, I mean come on they practically fall apart in your hands if your not careful.

5. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    #55 Fave, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    Ok so you need to try and be ****** playing on Flava Fave to make me look the fool..... original.

But anyway, you if finding the cheapest solution to your Ferrari woes is the way to go then high five!!! Go forth and rejoice! You have beaten all of us at this crazy thing called love.

6. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Martin, problem is everyone wants to be patted on the back and told they did a good job. They are substandard, the OEM were the best for the era they were produced, but the best that could be made today. Birdman's boxes are neither. They are a cheap solution to a problem that already has a solution. You want to drive a Ferrari, spend the money properly. You want cheap? Buy a Trans AM.

7. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    That hasn't been my experience.
    Anyone else find them fragile?

8. Quetzel

Quetzel Karting

Jun 17, 2013
    Sugar Grove, Il
    Full Name:
    James Jenke
    Did the Birdman fix. Nice unit. Like OEM? Keep the OEM block if you want to switch back some day. Glass fuses far nicer to work with than the old ones. And...Birdman was a gracious person. Helped me out when I had a minor installation glitch. Great guy to work with. Very responsive........took time out of his busy schedule - and I appreciated that. You have to throw a bone to the guys that work so hard to sustain/improve our cars. Birdman is one of them.

9. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    You missed the point to the thread. Wooosh!

10. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    if Sam made modern boxes like he did for the other cars, then maybe we would be talking a different story here.. can't compare Sam's to birdmans.

11. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Again, not the point! Would you replace the engine with a Chevy? The boot lid covers the engine.

12. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Oh come on, only the top half is held together with solder, the bottom has nothing. If you don't hold them gently they can twist. The fuse parts can easily come apart and the terminals are weak and fragile.

13. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The problems and limitations of the OEM fuse blocks are very well explained here. Myron is too modest to mention that he is a first rate electronics engineer that works in the Automotive OEM industry. In addition he has owned Italian cars all of his life so if his opinion is not an informed one then no-ones is.

I'd be interested to know the specific qualifications of some of our more 'passionate' posters to better evaluate their views as it is always good to know where an opinion comes from before lending it weight.

14. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    +1, he was a great guy to deal with no doubt. His person isn't in question here. What is is people trying to fix a problem using the cheapest alternative and getting all bent cause I'm not slapping him on the back and saying 'man aren't you a swell guy'.
    People need perspective here!

15. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Again, I didn't find them fragile.
    Still waiting on a second opinion.

16. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    The old adage "Never try and teach a pig to sing... it wastes your time and annoys the pig" comes to mind. We're all lined up on opposite sides of the trough, and nobody is interested in learning a different tune.

17. sfrazier

sfrazier Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Concord, CA
    Full Name:
    SeanF
    Well that went off course quickly... How much is my car worth again? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I'm leaving before I get another ban.
    Birdman has helped DIY Ferrari owners immensely.
    I'm not really sure what the Fave input is worth.

19. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    When did you change the belts?

20. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Absolutely nothing

21. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Birdman's boxes aren't a Chevy.. I don't think I've ever heard anyone who has actually used them complain about them. It immediately eliminated several wiring gremlins and still working great after 10 years.

A lot of window problems are because of the grease in the window frames gumming up.. once cleaned up, the windows work great without any further electrical modification whatsoever.

22. Sean308

Sean308 Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2011
    Victoria, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Recently did my windows, basically took the door panel off and sprayed some silicon spray, and white spray on the window runners as well as some wd40 here and there. Got it working pretty good from not working at all.

23. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    On the window subject, i suggest one takes a moment to test and record the amperage draw at the window motor in both up and down cycles. You'll need a good battery or a decent power source capable of atleast 20amps at 13vdc. You'd be surprised at how much the draw is. The factory has the power and ground leads switching polarity at the switch, that means the window current is flowing from the battery to the switch and back to the motor. Why they did this I have no idea, the voltage drop and amp demand is excessive for the wiregauge being used. A simple fix is to rewire the motors to relays and have the switch control the relay with low current and the motors get direct feed from the battery and it can be pulled from a key on switch as well.

Ferrari factory wiring leaves a lot to be desired honestly. Ferrari did not spend nor use the best available, budget constraints and low volume really hurt outsourced component availability. The engines are masterfull the rest is.... ok.

24. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #74 308 milano, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    HAY, how was I to know that you were not the real Flava Flav? Same name, same goofy comments.. It would be the same if your screen name was George Jetson and you were continually talking about Space, all of us here would just assume that you were the real George Jetson! Honest mistake, sorry.

What I find humorous is that if you had never heard of BM fuse blocks and we put a pair in a Little yellow box, charged you $700 for them, you would think they were the greatest thing on the planet.
    Do you realize hose clamps were never intended for our cars? That was contrived buy some nose picker who was too cheap to buy A torque wrench to reinstall factory spec. zip ties in those locations. Turns out after years of testing the hose clamps are simply a better product. Go figure.

25. AN-M

AN-M Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    André
    I must ask. Do you get a part of the profit? :) Why so eager to defend this product? It is what it is, an assembly of "off the shelf" holders boltet together without respect of the original aesthetics. Nothing clever about it. Does it work? Of course it works, it's a fuse block, not a prosthetic heart .