Alonso to remain in hospital? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Alonso to remain in hospital?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Feb 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly. A hospital isn´t going to have you occupy an ICU room if it isn´t necessary. I think there definitely is more to this story.

2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    There was just one braking skid-mark on the track, from the inside rear wheel, as if it locked.

3. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Hey....... to this day Williams still insist that Senna's death was "driver's error" and not their mechanical failure.......

4. Bones2U

Bones2U Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2008
    Ontario
    He had a heart attack. I'm sure due to all the caffeine drinks these guys use on a regular basis. How is Red Bull so rich....LOL?

5. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    #30 maulaf, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That is true. It is the inner wheel that locked up first, which would be the one to lock up first. So that doesn't 100% permit to conclude on mechanical failure, does it?
    When he reaches the white line both side lock up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    Next time I crash it's going to be because of the 'wind"! :)

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1 :)

All joking aside, do we know if he's still in the ICU? Multi million dollar asset or not, those places ain't cheap.

As for the wind, I can see that "adding" to the accident..... He overcooked it, got on the marbles (AstroTurf in this case apparently), swung sideways (costing much D/F), regained grip back on the track, and hit the wall.

A testing accident, pure & simple IMO.

But, I too sit in the peanut gallery, so what do I know? ;)

Get we'll soon Fred,
    Ian

8. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    #33 barbazza, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The facial expression is symmetrical which hopefully means no major neurological problems (other than his toxic personality but that was there before the crash...) but his right arm isn't shown. A bit worrying since the impact was on that side. Hopefully nothing serious but I don't recall Kubica being in intensive care longer than a day (or even at all?) after his massive Montreal crash.

9. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    my brother thinks Alonso had a panic attack when he realized that the Mc-Honda is going to be slower than the Ferrari

10. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Intensive care? I thought that was just a sensationalised headline and didn't click on the article I saw claiming it. What the hell

11. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Geeze, in light of serious accidents to Schumi and Jules, can we just let go of the speculations until we get real facts?

I mean really, one photo from a hospital and we don't see his arm so you're worried about that? I also don't see his feet, so were they amputated? Please.

12. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Interesting. Hadn't thought about the feet. Glad you brought it up...

13. Abbey

Abbey Karting

Dec 1, 2014
    According to McLaren he is fine which is great news. Stay well Fernando!

14. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Accidents of course aren't funny - but this comment sure is.

15. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    It's either Mclaren are hiding something (which i don't think they are), or many people are just overthinking.

16. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    85 mph. Will F1 now limit top speed to 75 mph? Safety first!

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Haha.

Yes Kubica was out of the hospital the next morning I believe, had a mild concussion and an ouchy ankle IIRC. 180mph into solid concrete :cool:
    :D

18. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I think concussion protocols have changed in the last decade - in rugby its a fortnight off now - even the NFL is beginning to take them seriously

19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  20. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
  21. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So now they release the data saying he was shifting and braking until impact. So he definitely didn't pass out prior to the crash.

That may not be a massive impact by f1 standards, but that is still big. Seems like they are going through a proper protocol.

22. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    So there's a protocol that a says you stay in the Intensive Care Unit when MRIs have cleared you of any serious injury?

He's probably the only one sitting up on the section. I'm really starting to wonder if something odd and serious happened and he's there for a reason. If he was getting shocked maybe he was twitching and hitting the shifters...who knows. I'm only half kidding.

The longer the bs continues without explanations that make sense...the speculation will continue.

23. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The explanation seems to make sense to people w driving/racing backgrounds.

I doubt there is a set protocol for driving into a wall at 15+ g's.

NHL and NFL players sometimes take weeks to pass the post concussion tests and be cleared to play. I'm sure he is still foggy and probably not passing all concussion tests despite the scans showing no issues.

Probably best to be careful with a 30m+ driver/asset and maybe the best guy in the game now.

24. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    When my mother fell off of a ladder and landed face-first in the ground, it took almost 2 months for all of the concussion-related issues to finally go away. Seeing her forget a conversation we had just seconds prior, have to sit down out of nowhere because she had an extreme headache, fall asleep because simply watching TV was too much for her brain to handle, etc., was a very scary sight. She works a desk-job. She doesn't drive at 200mph inches away from someone else.

If Alonso is going through even a fraction of what my mom went through, I completely understand the precaution.

25. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Used to teach handicapped skiing for brain damaged individuals. All were as a result of car accidents. Sometime the effects are permanent. Short term memory loss common. Two minutes and they would forget what you said. All sweet folks. Tragic.

Hope for a speedy recovery.