SCG 003 and SCG 003C (formerly known as "P 33") | Page 37 | FerrariChat

SCG 003 and SCG 003C (formerly known as "P 33")

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by Napolis, Mar 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Strange question, but how do you devise part numbers? Is there an industry standard that is being followed?

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Our Estimated NS time? We have over 70 hours of Ring data on P 4/5 C over two years. We have 80 days of CFD on SCG 003C. When we test in March at the Ring we'll know for sure but we strongly believe we'll be running with the BMW's, Audi's, MB's and Porsches that can go the distance in the top class. It will still be very hard to beat the top factory teams but we feel we have a chance.

3. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    I think he meant part numbers for each part in the car, as in, what part number will a paying customer refer too when they need a replacement?

4. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ah. Basically every part of the car gets a number and there is a manual that lists every part and how the parts go together along with all information needed for assembly. You can also hook your car up remotely to our engineers who can diagnose and help you to fix any issues.
    The entire car will be modular and if you can use simple tools you can fix it. Our race motors are rated fo 8K KLM's of racing and our road motor in standard tune will go for well over 100,000 miles without issue. Our 1400HP state of tune road motor will need attention a bit sooner... :)

All parts are CAD and can be manufactured indefinitely. All Engine management is plug and play on standard ECU's that can be easily sourced. I believe that long after I'm gone my Great Grandkids will be able to keep SCG 003 going.

5. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    It's extraordinary that you're thinking of ease of maintenance and longevity of the car right from the outset.

I probably rely to heavily on the word "amazing" when trying to describe this car, but it really is amazing in so many ways. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I've never understood why so many exotic cars are so hard to work on or why parts for them become unobtainable so quickly. As each owner will also have access to the full CAD mathematics of every part this will be a non issue for our customers.

7. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Very cool. I asked because I noticed the long, hyphenated part number on hub you posted and wondered how that actual numbering scheme was devised, e.g. area of car-type of part-part subassembly etc, etc.

8. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Was there some additional reason FIA allow it anymore? The dangers of beryllium dust are long understood and when use of beryllium containing parts is required and cost justified then it is used for a variety of purposes. Was it somehow an attempt to limit costs?

A friend used to be in the business of making specialized components out of beryllium alloys. To demonstrate the safety of a finished and clean part he would put them into his mouth.

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    When finished they are safe and if properly manufactured the process is safe but I think they were worried about two things. Cost and mechanics who weren't aware of the dangers drilling into it in the pits for a modification.

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The numbers locate the parts in specific sections of the car and correspond to the manuals all of which are digital. There are Digital CAD programs where an owner can see how the car assembles and disassembles and what is underneath, within and on top of.

11. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    A type of open source car manufacturing...?

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    4 sure.

13. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Awesome, seriously.

14. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Cheaper race simulators, in house carbon fibre layering and titanium/aluminium 3d printing might help in the future. 3d metal printing especially might change the automotive world completely, ever thought of it for your cars?

17. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The costs are and IMO will remain FAR beyond what most imagine for racing.

A factory LMP1 effort is hundreds of millions of dollars.

18. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    #918 ginge82, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    I would love to know what the ACTUAL cost to race has been for those in LMP1 when sponsorship deals and TV rights money has been accounted for.

I'm guessing its eye watering. Setting up a dedicated facility/team factory would be astronomical never mind the rest.

100's of millions seems accurate. They may as well define that class as manufacture only.

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #919 Napolis, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
  21. lsmkr01

lsmkr01 Karting

Oct 5, 2010
    VA
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    That speed over the NS for 24 hrs is unbelievable. Thanks for the updates Jim

22. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    This stuff looks cool.

23. nandofacchini

nandofacchini Karting

Sep 15, 2006
    Hi Jim,

you seem to know a lot about endurance history and homologation. Probably you have the answer for this: I've noticed lots of race cars from the 50's, 60's and beginning of 70's had signals, spare tires and sometimes even designated spot for a license plate. The 250 Testa Rossa and the 330 P3/4, for example. Did they have to be road legal? Did Ferrari had to have them actually for sale to the general public? (Although I don't think Ferrari actually sold any P-Series to be driven in the streets....) Why do some other race cars from the period actually look way more a "prototype" than others, like the 312P for example? I've read about some Porsches being converted to road legal cars, like RSK, 904, 917 and even 962. Could you actually buy one of those at the time they were produced to be used in the streets?

cheers and congratulations on your project. It sounds like Enzo's history and, of course, I love the idea of a road legal race car :)

Nando

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #924 Napolis, Nov 16, 2014
    Generally in the day prototypes and GT's had to have road equipment. Some were driven to and from the track. Regulations today makes that a lot harder but it can still be done and that's what were doing with SCG 003C.

25. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #925 Napolis, Nov 16, 2014