When you spend money on yourself, do you feel "funny"? | FerrariChat

When you spend money on yourself, do you feel "funny"?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by tundraphile, Sep 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Simple question of the title.

Tonight I am debating to make a toy purchase that is wholly for myself, buy back my old Ducati 999. I can afford it, and while not an investment I wouldn't lose much money even if I sold next spring. But that is besides the point.

I realized something about myself in general in the past few months, I don't completely understand its origin, but basically I find it hardest to do things for myself rather than my family.

-Wife and daughter really wanted a pool, so last year we put in a pool at used 360 Modena-type money, the biggest luxury item I have ever purchased, and had to borrow some of it which pained me to do. I would have never done it on my own, but it was for them and they enjoyed it very much this year.

-Spent another used Ducati 999 or two worth of landscaping finishing the pool area this year and buying all the stuff that goes with owning one. Outdoor furniture, retaining wall, etc add up fast. Again this was to complete the project and make the rest of the yard as nice as the pool area. My dad and I spent about three months seemingly every weekend, every vacation day I could squeeze in, doing most of the landscaping ourselves.

-I find that when they need something, I generally don't have an issue paying the bill. Say daughter wants to do an activity that is $300, or $1000, sometimes I grumble but we usually always do it. Or wife wants something, It usually happens.

The issue comes to me. I find my default is to try to find the cheapest alternative or talk myself out of it. Say motorcycle gloves, best are Dainese Full Metal Pro, about $350, with other excellent alternatives about that same price. I will usually end up talking myself into marginal ones at Cycle Gear that are $40, not even the best examples of their house brand. So I buy it and then wish I had just spent more to get what I want.

Last year for my birthday I splurged and bought the most expensive new helmet I have ever had: a whopping $220 AGV. Felt guilty and almost took it back. WTH is wrong with me?

I sold the 999 at a moment of temporary insanity (clarity?) when I thought I didn't want any bikes at all and my 851 was in pieces. Always regretted selling it, bought two (very cheap, fairly undesirable) motorcycles in the past four years. I see the 999 pop up for sale, last year we were in the middle of the pool and I didn't think I could afford it. I vowed if I could later I would buy it. So now it is available again, and I am surprised why I am struggling with strange feeling of guilt and irresponsibility and I haven't even bought it yet. I find myself thinking of every reason NOT to buy it.

Time and activities are the same thing. Do I take that 200 mile ride, or play a round of golf, or watch a whole football game? Nope, I find myself cleaning the garage, mowing the yard ( an activity I detest), or working at home in the evening. It is like I can never stop the obligation motor in my head. There is always something more important to do than what I think I really want to do. Again, what is wrong with me?

Does anyone struggle with splurging on yourself, but doesn't have that issue with loved ones? Do I secretly like denying myself? What a strange night I am having...

2. bspellerin

bspellerin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2011
    Hermon, Maine
    Full Name:
    Brian Pellerin
    Man, don't beat yourself up about this.

Clearly you are providing quite well for your family, take some of the money you've earned and go get whatever you want.

As for me and my wife, after all other financial obligations are met, not just monthly bills but retirement accounts too, funds left over are there for our enjoyment. So no, I do not struggle with splurging on myself, or on her.

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    We had a similar thread within last year, with lots if responses. So . . . consolation prize - You're not alone.

When it comes to personal safety - Don't skimp.

Personal this'n'that: Clearance Rack. Be there but don't be square. ;)

4. Madaboutred

Madaboutred Karting

Aug 10, 2013
    Athens Greece
    Full Name:
    Aris Thomazos
    I was on the same path in the past untill I had a stroke.

Remember that you are the most important person in your life.

Having said that, I totally do not give a single f%ck about anyone or anything else.
    I have achieved more than enough and I can reward myself with whatever I want.

Both my ex wifes had the time of their lifes while it lasted and my son absorbed all the love, advice and care I could give.

My mission is complete.
    So after making all these people happy on my expense and time, I can, while I still can, do whatever I want with my life and money.

5. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Thanks for the responses. The bike is currently on Ebay and I have put a bid in, with a max bid at what I think a fair price is for the bike. Auction ends in a couple of hours. If my max bid and his reserve overlap, great I get the bike. If I am the highest bidder without meeting reserve (what I expect) I guess he and I can discuss if we can meet pricewise where we will both be satisfied.

Option 3 of course is that someone outbids my max, also very possible. If that happens then maybe this bike, on this day, was not really meant to be.

6. Madaboutred

Madaboutred Karting

Aug 10, 2013
    Athens Greece
    Full Name:
    Aris Thomazos
  7. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Highest bidder, below reserve. Currently negotiating through Ebay messages....

8. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    IMO You are being a good father & husband. It sounds like you and I are living the same life albeit with an extra 0 or two at the end of your purchases. The kids and wife wanted a pool so I put one in. They use it everyday the weather is good and the girls joined a swim team because they really love it. Got a bonus at work and bought my wife a minivan, paid cash because I hate having a car payment and what did I treat mysel to? A new fly rod but not a high end Orvis rod for $1200, nope Cabelas on sale for under $200. Do I mind? Not at all. Seeing them happy and being able to provide what they need with out a thought and what they want when reasonable makes me happy and I feel like I am accomplishing what a father/husband is supposed to do. Get the Duc and buy the gear that will protect you and know every time you look at it or ride it that your family came first and you did it right. (I sold my Monster and bought a small fishing boat so I could take my son fishing which hasn't panned out just yet, he hates fishing, and I miss my 748 everyday).

9. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I thought we would work something out after the auction but that does not seem to be the case. Owner more or less gave me a take it or leave it pRice that is about $1000 over market for the bike. Although I would like it, I don't have to buy it at that price. So far he has ignored my counter which surprises me a little but also tells me it just wasn't meant to be. So he can pay insurance and taxes another year and hold out until spring to get a few hundred extra $$$ I guess.

Disappointing but ultimately I was my choice to not overpay. I told my wife I feel fine about it. The mistake was not buying it back last year from its second owner, he was willing to make a great deal on it (in the spirit of this thread he was raising cash to buy his wife her dream car :))

Thanks everyone for the responses.

10. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    Not at all..... :)

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Really, can you ever go back? Maybe wait for a mint low (or no) mileage 999S to come along.

I love the 999 but as we know, most don't, so prices stay lower than the other models. :)

12. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    At the moment I'm not really shopping for a bike, but this one came up and the only reason I wanted it was because I used to own it. Would like either an RSV4 or Panigale in a couple of years, or I may sell all of them (Duc 851, Aprilia Mille, Honda VF1000R) and switch to four wheels. My knees are not getting any younger after three surgeries.

13. Call Me Daddy

Call Me Daddy Karting

Jan 11, 2009
    Seal Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    It's just a change in priorities. My wife and I have the same problem. Our kids wear much nicer clothes and shoes than we do, my wife feels guilty getting her nails and toes done, and what they need, they pretty much get. They are not spoiled or ungrateful, it's just the way we provide for them at the current time.

I have owned several Porsches in the past and I currently drive an old 745 because I don't really care. We have a really nice family hauler (full sized Range Rover SC) and I can't see spending another $900 a month on a car for me right now because there is always braces times 2, vacations we want to take, things for the house, unexpected income property problems, and things we all need.

Quit beating yourself up, if you really wanted the bike I doubt the $1000 would stop you. Enjoy your family while they are young and spend time with them before they are too cool to hang out with you. Mine are 12 and 6 now so I doubt I've got many more years before they think we are embarrassing.

14. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    #14 tundraphile, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes I passed on it a second time over the weekend. Owner basically reiterated the price (took off $100 but also removed some of the extras with the bike so a wash).

We were $800 apart, and to your point if I really wanted it that small amount would not be an impediment. He is not unreasonable on his price, but enough over FMV that I am not willing to overpay. I talked myself out of it (again) Sunday night.

I have used this as an opportunity to really think about my motivations for this in particular as well as life in general. I look at my parents: dad travelled for work all the time, mom was "thrifty" to say the least. I would never claim we were poor growing up, but I think they had the balance toward saving or denying their own (and our) happiness too far most of the time. No Nike or Adidas that would last the whole basketball season, in their mind get a pair of P.O.S. Trax brand from K-mart that would last a few weeks, then do it again the next time Trax go on blue-light special.

I resolved once I had a child not to travel for work unless I had to. Probably has hurt my career somewhat but I have given her the attention she needs, which was especially important when she was young (spent first year in an orphanage with all the attachment issues possible in that scenario), I have been there for the recitals & school parties that my parents were not. At 9, like you say there are not too many years she will want to be around us at this point. Likewise I have taken the approach of quality over quantity for her things as well as our house. I told my wife on the pool that if I couldn't do it "right" then I wasn't doing it at all. We waited a couple of years before we knew exactly what we wanted, what it cost, and that we could afford it.

Below is a picture of her and the bike when she was little, about 18 months, with her security blanket. She was the main reason I sold the bike, worrying about getting hurt or killed and not seeing her grow up. That phase passed after I went several months without riding. I ride as safe as you can on two wheels now when I do ride.

My parents however are still doing the same old thing. Bought a beautiful house (bank repo) after he retired a couple of years ago on 5 acres, he wants to build a shop building for his new tractor collection. But his plan is to cheap out to where the house is stone & brick, shop is siding. Cheap garage doors on the shop, etc. Basically he will spend $35k for a non-matching building that will look terrible, rather than another $10k and have it look like part of the house.

So I thought to myself "am I doing the same thing?" Am I choosing to go the cheap route and drawing an imaginary line in the sand I won't pay over to ensure I don't buy this Ducati back? Possibly. Or like you said maybe I really don't want it, like girlfriends there is a reason you broke up and getting back together will remind you soon why.

If anyone is interested, it is a good bike. Never down, tracked, or abused in my ownership and it looks the same now.
    Ducati 999 Mint Condition!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    What jumps out at me is that I wouldn't buy a bike if I had a family. Other than that try and do what makes you happy :)

16. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Do you discuss purchases with your wife and get her opinion first. If your sneaking purchases I could understand the guilt feeling, once she says go for it you deserve it, enjoy it.

Would you enjoy personal gifts more if your wife put in the effort to purchase the actual item and presented it to you?

I think it's normal to feel the way you do, it's your fatherly instinct.(ok maybe a little heavy on the BS there)

17. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    I was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately I've seen too many motorcycle accidents that have devastated families with medical bills, lifetime disability, loss of business, or death. As fun as they are I couldn't justify purchasing one at this stage in my life.

Back on topic: I too don't like spending a lot of money on myself, but I've come to realize it's good to splurge on myself every once in a while.

18. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Bike is back on Ebay, now with original exhaust and $300 cheaper. Glad I kept that exhaust and ECU for him ;)

Feel like an old girlfriend is calling me....

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    When I spend money on a hooker, do I spend it on myself or do I spend it on her?

20. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Same thing.