Motor Oil Scientific Papers Review | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Motor Oil Scientific Papers Review

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by AEHaas, Jan 23, 2007.

1. We apologize, our new Classifieds has been intermittently down as we sent an email today that overloaded the system. We'll get it fixed and then you can link from the header "Buy - Sell" or from the email. Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    It was, of course, said in jest.

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Cheers

3. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Quite so. I am alone at home from work today with a summer cold and needed a little laugh.

4. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

It would be like that video game in the 80s where you drop oil slicks to make the bad guys begin you spin out! :p

5. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Death Race 2000! That little old grandma lady could get pretty fast when you tried to score her...

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Great for racing cars but as Mr Haas has said for street cars, especially those in colder climates, 0W or 5W is where you want to start.

I look for 0W- 30or40 if I can find it.

7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Nope you want to use exactly the oil that the manufacture says you should
    not the oil reccomended by someone who feels they know more than the car
    manufacturer does.

8. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    +1

When I know exactly what the clearances are in an engine (which I know in my own engine I rebuilt), I run precisely what I know works well with those clearances. Amazingly, I recently spoke with a fellow who has been wrenches on Ferrari's forever and is a former consultant here who was telling me he has seen Ferrari's new from the factory running .003 bearing clearances (!!!) making some sort of 50w not an option at that point! For most 308,328, TR, 288, F40, pre-90 cars in general though, 40w per recommended by Ferrari is just fine and I would never ever go thinner than that.

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Exacto.

10. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Exactly !!!

11. Mal2

Mal2 Rookie

Mar 19, 2014
    While you can't argue with that point of view there are numerous reasons not to blindly adhere to or recommend it. Obsolete oil specs, a very high mileage or abused engine, unusual operations resulting in very hot or very cold oil are but a few. The mfrs are most interested in normal use of a low mileage (warranty period) car.

While I don't subscribe to all Dr Haas has to say on the subject, it certainly dispels many of the commonly held but errant views on oil selection, particularly as to viscosity.

12. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    About ZDDP. New oils even Mobil 1 are 800-900 PPM for regular use. Street/racing M1 is around 1100 PPM. Rotella T6 5-40 is 1200 PPM. Lots of people are using this on the street as well as the track. M1 racing not recommended for the street formulation but used in Nascar etc is 1700-1800 PPM. GTS Bruce

13. Ed_Trottier

Ed_Trottier Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 10, 2008
    Moneta, VA (SML)
    Full Name:
    Ed Trottier
    All--Just received a call from Castrol US, as a result of e-mails I have sent them on this subject. Yesterday's e-mail was 2nd or 3rd, I think. Anyway, we have "stumbled" on the solution to the mystery of "Belgium" (Orange label with A3/B4) and "German" (Red label) Castrol SAE 0W-30. Castrol is in the midst of "swap-over" FROM "German" TO "Belgium" manufacturing/packaging sites. They are the SAME formula. This was verified here with arrival of July 2014 Road&Track, which shows (pgs 35 and 37) only "EDGE" with graphic of oil streams flowing thru a series of rings. The "old" Made in Germany Castrol 0W-30 is left-over stock in inventory only until it gets sold.

14. Ed_Trottier

Ed_Trottier Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 10, 2008
    Moneta, VA (SML)
    Full Name:
    Ed Trottier
    Castrol Update: Just changed FROM 0W-40 Mobil 1 TO Castro 0W-30 SPT (labeled "Made in Germany) and was "dazed and amazed." On two (2) overnight cold start "spin-ups" of our 2013 Murano V-6, the Castrol was MUCH quieter! No "rattle and clatter." I am going to Castrol 0W-30 in '89 Porsche 928 GT AND '97 MB SL 500 !! Why do I need 10W-50 in a 400i GT that NEVER gets driven HARD...just long...as in touring ???!!!

15. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Spy Hunter

16. Pilot2

Pilot2 Rookie

Jan 21, 2015
    Wonderful article !

The article assumes an engine maintaining a relatively constant temperature because of water cooling. I have a vehicle with a boxer engine (oil/air cooled) so do all the observations of the above article apply or is the manufacturer (BMW) correct in recommending a 20W50 weight oil ?

17. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    1973 was my first year running at the
    World Speed Championships on the Bonneville salt flats.

I was introduced to the "drive line warm-up"
    concept by pitting next to an over-300 MPH
    AA/ blown nitro-methane fueled car.

The SOP seemed to involve high RPM
    "blips," while dumping unburned Nitro
    into our pits - and on us - out the zoomie headers.

I had wondered why that particular pit was available....