Best car for Guam island with no dealer service? | FerrariChat

Best car for Guam island with no dealer service?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mbaldyga, Sep 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mbaldyga

mbaldyga Rookie

Aug 31, 2014
    Guam
    Full Name:
    Mark B
    Hi folks

Ok. So I know it's a bit silly. But I live on a small tropical island in the pacific and I'd like a Ferrari and need some advice! Have had 911S, Cayenne, Jags, etc. Currently have BMW 650Li, 750Li, Panamera, and Range Rover.

The roads can be a bit spotty so ground clearance should be decent (5 in ideal) but generally roads are ok especially between my house and work. No highways here and no dealer so I will pay for service. There's one decent European auto mechanic (Porsche master mechanic). Says he can work on it (there is a 430 here) but he'd prefer to get the diagnostic computer on rent if needed. Like I said a little dumb but I've always wanted a ferrari.

I drove the California. Not bad as a daily driver I guess but not my vision of a Ferrari. 430 is a bit spartan inside for me. Love the look of the 458 inside and out but haven't driven it. 612 is also beautiful and classy in and out but I want a spyder (tropics). Lambourghini Gallardo is another option?

Budget pref is $175-275k but I'm more mindful of the net loss on resale than the upfront.
    Thought I'd look for low miles late model with service history. I'll use it as my main daily driver but add only 7k miles/year (small island!) and keep it probably 3 yrs.

Anyone have any thoughts for me on what would be a sexy looking, classy, RELIABLE and serviceable model -- other than telling me it's silly :)

Mark

2. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Good luck with your search!

Having spent a little time on Guam, I can't imagine how quickly you go through performance tires driving on those coral based roads! Our "duty van" must have chewed through a set of normal tires in just a couple of weeks...

3. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I would say F430 spyder manaual or a Gallardo spyder manual. Both will have chains and not belts and none of the F1 or DSG related electronics.

4. skierlawyer

skierlawyer Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Golden, CO
    Full Name:
    Brian
    +1 but good luck finding such a car. seems like most are paddle shift. What about a 328 GTS?

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

There is an F355 owner, who posts on this site, currently living on Guam. Hopefully he'll post here soon.

7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

I was thinking the same.
    Or with 275K to spend a Boxer.
    Won't lose a nickel.

8. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Having visited Guam many times I cannot see why anyone would own a Ferrari on that rock. An offroad vehicle sure, but a high performance supercar? Where are you going to drive it? It's hot and muggy and the roads are paved with a weird coral sand concrete mixture. Can't be good for performance tires. And salt air, hurricanes and monsoons? I just don't see it, brother, but good luck to you.

9. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I have to agree. I cannot imagine owning a high end sports car of any kind on a small island. Especially one with poor roads.

I've visited Grand Cayman several times. It has great roads but your top speed is 45 mph. There is simply no place to drive. But again it's not me making the decision.

10. Shaide

Shaide Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2008
    Las Colinas, DFW TX
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hey, it worked for Magnum! 8P

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    This guy has your answer.....Lamborghini LM002 SUV

12. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I did see quite a few exotics in Ibiza but there is a lot more open space there.

God that place is a dust bowl though.

13. raf456

raf456 Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert Freiburghouse
    I second the advise regarding tires. I also lived in the tropics and sold my Ferrari before moving. There I had a Mustang GT for a year but eventually just got a Jeep like everyone else. Back now in the real world and enjoying cars again. I cannot imagine having a new or nearly new Ferrari on an island like Guam. On St. Croix there was one Porsche Boxster and a Lotus (before its bottom was ripped open by the road).

14. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Having spent 2 1/2 years on Guam, I would recommend buying the cheapest, most rusted out car you can find. If you don't, it will quickly turn into the cheapest, most rusted out car you can find.

15. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Here is the real problem--5" road surface irregularities interacts poorly with the 4.2" ground clearances in the typical modern Ferrari.

16. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    I'm with everyone else; i.e. this is a poor idea. But if you must then I would suggest a manual 360 Modena coupe. Yes, you must service the belts, but this job is done engine in and can be done by any good mechanic; either the owner or a professional. Factory Diagnostic equipment would be nice, but unless you're really unlucky you can diagnose most problems the old-school way. Unlike the F-1 transmission, you can change clutches in the manual version just like any other car without the magic (expensive) diagnostic box.

The 360 is definitely sexy and modern enough so that it's not quirky but the cost is low enough that you don't have an ultra huge stack of money invested in a car which you intend to operate WAY of it's intended environment.